15 Posts

Relic» Forums » General

Subject: Should I get Talisman too, after I bought Relic... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Stirling
Germany
flag msg tools
or just avoid it, since Relic has the advanced game system?

Are both too similar, or does the different theme add to it?

Could I apply Relic rules to Talisman, if I find them to be lacking?

Or should I just get both games without hesitation?

Thanks for chiming in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Talisman after Relic and although I like Talisman, base game Relic is better. The leveling up system, exploding 6s, 3 different stats all seem to make the game better.

Having said that, Talisman is still fun, different and simpler (at least with the basic game). I am going to get some of those sweet board expansions, though and will eventually end up with all of them.

I don't know if you could apply too many of the Relic rules, but possibly. I think the rulebook is online for reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crossett
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say get both.

I find Relic gets more play because it's quicker - but we still break out Talisman from time to time for an epic gameday quest.

The games are different enough in theme and mechanics to warrant buying them both.

Although I will say get Relic first, because Talisman expansions are not wallet friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stirling
Germany
flag msg tools
Brennus wrote:
I say get both.

I find Relic gets more play because it's quicker - but we still break out Talisman from time to time for an epic gameday quest.

The games are different enough in theme and mechanics to warrant buying them both.

Although I will say get Relic first, because Talisman expansions are not wallet friendly.

Makes sense. Thou Nemesis expansion for Relic will be on the same level. No board expansion but still more than 40$...

I don't know why exactly, but I'm not so much interested in board expansions either. I like to keep the board simple, and the adventurous level high by adding adventure cards instead. Maybe because I like not being able to see whats coming next. Exploration is the key to a nice adventure IMO, and a board is open for everyone to see.

So instead of getting me pricey expansions, I rather get me another adventure game, to spice things up. Relic is missing some key player interaction thou, so I might consider the Nemesis expansion. Or I just use the Talisman PvP rules for Relic, and see how that goes.

Relic is fresh and new (to me) and I have not seen any other sci-fi adventure board game out there, and I like sci-fi. Back in the days when I first played Hero Quest I was totally stoked. But soon after that, I got absolutely blown away by Star Quest. Which is kinda close to WH40K, isn't it?

The board of Relic seems to go a little over board with the colors thou, and some spaces are missing a nice flavor text. Talisman is more easy on my eyes.

Well, maybe I get them both eventually, because I'm such a curious guy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
As said, Relic is the better game, but Talisman is the classic.

You could use a few of the Relic rules in Talisman, but there's no need for that - Talisman is a different game with a different goal. I also depends on your players - do they enjoy fantasy?

I own both and I play both. Depending on my mood, I go for SciFi or for fantasy. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stirling
Germany
flag msg tools
PzVIE wrote:
Depending on my mood, I go for SciFi or for fantasy. meeple

Sounds like a lot like what I would do, thanks! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I wouldn't unless I found it going very cheaply. As far as gameplay is concerned, having played Relic, Talisman now feels like a kids version, and even more like a fantasy themed Monopoly. I much prefer Talisman's theme but that only gets me so far, specifically about 45 mins, after which the repetitiveness starts to wear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crossett
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnathanS wrote:

I don't know why exactly, but I'm not so much interested in board expansions either. I like to keep the board simple, and the adventurous level high by adding adventure cards instead. Maybe because I like not being able to see whats coming next. Exploration is the key to a nice adventure IMO, and a board is open for everyone to see.

For board expansions - they've been huge in keeping myself and my fellow players interested in Talisman. The main board gets a little stale and the decks are so deep that you can wind up with a really dull game - the corner board additions add some nice flavour (everyone winces and hoots when some foolish person ventures into the Dungeon too early) and some very nice variety.

I'm actually a little disappointed that the first expansion for Relic doesn't include any extra board real estate. I'm hoping that the added cards to various decks will make up for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crossett
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnathanS wrote:

Or I just use the Talisman PvP rules for Relic, and see how that goes.

Talisman PvP will only go so far in Relic. Landing on another character and battling has only been about 1/4 of the interaction that I've seen in play - almost all of the rest has been due to spells, something Relic doesn't have an equivalent of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stirling
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks again for your opinions.laugh

I made up my mind and bought...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
BOTH! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brennus wrote:
JohnathanS wrote:

For board expansions - they've been huge in keeping myself and my fellow players interested in Talisman. The main board gets a little stale and the decks are so deep that you can wind up with a really dull game - the corner board additions add some nice flavour (everyone winces and hoots when some foolish person ventures into the Dungeon too early) and some very nice variety.

I'm actually a little disappointed that the first expansion for Relic doesn't include any extra board real estate. I'm hoping that the added cards to various decks will make up for it. :)

Actually, I hope that instead of coming up with extra boards that act as mere adjuncts to the main board, they make up boards that completely replace the Antian sector.

I'm not happy with how extra boards work in Talisman, since they increase the footpirnt of the game, making things unwieldy.

I'm not sure how extra boards could be used in Relic via Talisman's model, since the color scheme of the main board is somewhat busy, and adding more wildly colored stuff would increase the eyeroll factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that Talisman is available as a PC game, it is easier for Relic players to also have access to Talisman (it is much cheaper too and allows you to play against the AI).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guigtexas wrote:
Now that Talisman is available as a PC game, it is easier for Relic players to also have access to Talisman (it is much cheaper too and allows you to play against the AI).

Killing AI-character just doesn't give the thrill of killing a player-character devil .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
JohnathanS wrote:
or just avoid it, since Relic has the advanced game system?

Are both too similar, or does the different theme add to it?

Could I apply Relic rules to Talisman, if I find them to be lacking?

Or should I just get both games without hesitation?

Thanks for chiming in

They're similar in a lot of basic rules and concepts, however, you shouldn't bother with Talisman unless you're thinking of investing considerable amounts of money on several expansions. Because compared to Relic, Talisman vanilla is insanely dry, it's actually kind of scary how boring a game of Talisman core seems compared to base of Relic (which has an expansion coming out in next few weeks so way for that instead)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my 1st Relic game. In my group we are Talisman enthusiasts since the 80's.

We felt that the games are very different, and yes we see and feel the similar game mechanics, but it's different enough that with the theme differences that it is barely similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.