Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Start of the 9:00 a.m. turn of my solo game of La Bataille de la Moscowa (third edition). Apologies for the pictures, but it's still early in the morning (real time) and the lighting in my wargame room is not great.

Generally, the French strategy is to pound the Russian center with grand batteries while pressuring and pinning Russian reinforcements in other areas. The Russians made a small error by deploying their reserve batteries in two different areas of their front. After they began to lose too many batteries near the Bagration Fleches, they then redeployed reserve batteries from the vicinity of the Great Redoubt to bolster their defenses.

On the right (eastern) flank, the Polish infantry and cavalry of the French V Corps are attempting to deploy out of the thick brush. The Russians advanced their lines to pressure the Poles and take away clear terrain where they could easily deploy:

In the center, the French repulsed an attack on the right flank of the grand battery by the Russian 2nd Converged Grenadier Division. The other half of the Russian reserve artillery batteries are redeploying to bolster the Russian center and artillery batteries on both sides continue to take a pounding. Sorbier pushed his batteries forward to get more firepower on the line, but deployed past his infantry supports and his cannon paid the price for his aggressiveness.

Meanwhile in the left center, the French III Corps and VII Corps received orders to move through the woods and apply pressure to the hinge of the Russian line:

On the left flank, the French continue to deploy further north, but with the removal of the Russian reserve batteries from the hinge of the Russian defense, the French begin to consider shifting their thrust south of Borodino and attacking the Great Redoubt in conjunction with III Corps and VII Corps. The Russians are trying to keep up with the shifting French deployments, but they just haven't been getting enough CP's to keep pace with the French.

And here's the whole game. You can see the French Guard Cavalry and Imperial Guard parked safely in the southern (bottom) portion of the map. Just waiting for their moment. whistle:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f*** out. Mow your damn lawn and sit the hell down.
mbmbmbmbmb
'Tis a thing of beauty, though a nasty sneeze or careless elbow could be a game changer!

I've lusted after this game for a while now and the closest I've come is the 1st edition that I own. just don't have the space to play it at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas fernbacker
United States
hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW!, look at the size of that game.
That is why I play these monsters.
And your lighting is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cam Platell
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Dave,

This is an impressive game and one I am also enjoying playing.

I am interested in your thoughts on the best French tactics for assaulting russian field works. The russian artillery seems very effective and I seem to lose a lot of French units just making approaches to these areas. I have also seen numerous French batteries destroyed attempting counter battery duels with the Entrenched russian batteries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Platell wrote:
Dear Dave,

This is an impressive game and one I am also enjoying playing.

I am interested in your thoughts on the best French tactics for assaulting russian field works. The russian artillery seems very effective and I seem to lose a lot of French units just making approaches to these areas. I have also seen numerous French batteries destroyed attempting counter battery duels with the Entrenched russian batteries.

Well, I'm hardly a tactical expert on the game, but so far my strategy has been to:

1) Put infantry with the French guns to soak up casualties.
2) Mass the French batteries to gain an advantage in firepower.
3) Stack leaders and ADC's with the artillery who give big bonuses to artillery fire. Davout is a great one to use. If I remember correctly, he's a +6.

Initially, I advanced a division from I Corps in the center to act as a screen for the French artillery. I also benefited from an early Guard Artillery release. Once the infantry advanced to within medium range of the Russian guns, the French artillery moved up and unlimbered behind them. The French infantry then pulled back and acted as infantry support for the guns.

Occasionally, I will prolong batteries forward to close range or move them closer to the Russians, but this can be risky since the guns are much more vulnerable to Russian artillery fire when they don't share a hex with infantry.

And I have to admit, I have lost quite a few artillery batteries so far. But so have the Russians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look at the picture above of the center, the lunettes of the Bagration Fleches can't be occupied by the Russians since the French artillery is able to rake them with close range fire. And the other earthwork will soon be abandoned since it has been enfiladed by the French artillery at medium range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cam Platell
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Start of the 0940 turn of my solo game. Having a lot of fun. The French are making steady progress in the center, but on the right flank, the V Corps is having trouble pushing past the Russian III Corps.

Right flank below, the Poles of V Corps are engaged in a vicious firefight with the well-drilled Russian grenadiers of III Corps. Toward the bottom of the map, another Polish division attempts to move to the east. Probably a waste of time

Center below. Vicious close range artillery fire and the French infantry begin to move closer and threaten the Russian defenses.

Below, vicinity of Borodino. There just aren't enough damn command points to go around and this area has become a bit of a secondary battle zone.

Mainly because on the far left wing below, the Russian cossacks fought a swirling melee with the French and Italian cavalry of IV Corps. Both sides are pretty exhausted, but an additional cavalry corps from each side is enroute to reinforce the flank. The Russian reinforcements have arrived first (top left).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.