Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jaycrons
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
The Game:

The game starts with the city of Tokyo quietly going about its business when all of a sudden giant monsters appear all at the same time. Apparently there was some sort of mix up in scheduling and this caused all the monsters to show up simultaneously…or at least that is what we think happened. Since these monstrosities don’t play well together, they proceed to fight over the city to see who will be the King of Tokyo.

Players will roll dice to determine what their monster will do on each turn. They can attack other players, gain energy cubes to buy improvements, heal, or go on a rampage to earn victory points. All in the hopes of being the monster that will claim this city for the last time.

The game will continue until one player is the last monster standing or causes enough destruction by earning 20 victory points to rule Tokyo.

How To Play:

At your turn, you get three successive throws after each of which you choose whether to keep or discard each of the six special dice. Your final combination will enable you to win destruction points, hoard energy, restore your health or whack other players into understanding Tokyo is your territory.

The fiercest player will be crowned King of Tokyo… and will end up facing all the other monsters alone until he wins the game, gets whack out of the game or decides to let another player take over the city.

Top this off with special cards purchased with energy and granting a permanent or temporary power, and you hold one of the most explosive and fun games ever!

In order to win the game, one must either destroy Tokyo by accumulating 20 destruction points or… be the only surviving monster !

Verdict:

For a fun dice game look no further, you throw a lot of dice in this game. It has it moments of ‘why did I do that?’, but the overall feel of the game is light, and can be a blast with the right group of players. My usual Friday Night Board Gamers, are a mix of some colorful characters, so the dialog follows that route as well.

When I picked up King of Tokyo, I didn’t know much of the back story, and was just excited that someone made Rampage into a board game. But that isn’t the case here at all.

King of Tokyo comes with some great components, and is beautifully illustrated. The level of player interaction does allow everyone to join in the fun. With the right gaming group (in the right mood), you could have a lot of fun with King of Tokyo. There is lot of fun to be had and I play it whenever someone says, ‘what’s this game about?’.

Overall I give this a 8/10, because it is fast paced, has a quick setup and take down, and is a great dice game. The art is just awesome, and the coming expansions will add more depth to the already outstanding monster roster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Ichamoe
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaycrons wrote:

The game starts with the city of Tokyo quietly going about its business when all of a sudden giant monsters appear all at the same time. Apparently there was some sort of mix up in scheduling and this caused all the monsters to show up simultaneously

HAHA ... I never really thought about WHY all the monsters were in Tokyo and fighting.

Nice review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.