Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well this is a great announcement for us war gamers as Osprey Publishing that we all know is creating a board game division.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Link for the lazy: http://www.ospreypublishing.com/blog/osprey_publishing_estab...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They're not going to draw much in the way of talent with a one year contract offer. How many games do they expect this person to help churn out in twelve months?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
stemcider wrote:

Full article, from the courteous:

Quote:
Osprey Publishing is expanding its product list with the creation of a dedicated games division. Osprey Games will follow the great successes enjoyed by our miniature wargaming lines with new products and will also expand to include board and card games, allowing us to both strengthen and diversify our position in these thriving niche sectors.

We are also recruiting for a Games Developer to edit and project manage these new products.

Full press release info and details about the job opportunity are listed below:

With the 2008 release of Field of Glory in collaboration with Slitherine Strategies Ltd, Osprey Publishing began to focus specifically on a hobby with which it had always had a very close relationship – miniatures wargaming. While Osprey books had long provided guides for figure painters, scenario writers and wargamers of all stripes, Field of Glory was the first product specifically created for this audience. Hot on the heels of this incredibly successful release came other projects, including the Force on Force modern rules (with Ambush Alley Games) and Renaissance and Napoleonic versions of the Field of Glory rules. More recently, the Bolt Action World War II rules (with Warlord Games) and the Osprey Wargames series of smaller rulebooks have established Osprey as one of the foremost publishers of wargaming rules.

Long-time gamer and Games Manager for the new Osprey Games division, Philip Smith, said:

‘Osprey and wargaming have always been the proverbial “two great tastes that taste great together”, and the growing range of wargaming products has met with a fantastic reception from gamers. The creation of Osprey Games means that gaming is going to be getting a lot more attention, and I’ve already got some very exciting projects on the drawing board.’

In addition to expanding the existing wargaming lines, Osprey Games is also going to develop board and card games, applying Osprey’s reputation for high-quality artwork to a whole new market, and is set to start recruiting for a Games Developer to manage this side of the division. The board and card game hobby has become increasingly popular in recent years, and, much like wargaming, can be seen as a natural extension of Osprey’s publishing pedigree.

Richard Sullivan, Osprey Publishing’s Managing Director, said:

‘We are very excited about this opportunity to grow our business into another exciting niche where we can provide top-quality product for our customers, old and new alike. Our experience with wargaming rules, our in-house capabilities and some canny recruitment will ensure we’ll be bringing out some great games in the near future.’

We are recruiting a Games Developer to work on this exciting new project. Based in our offices in Oxford - full details are available on our site now! Spread the word if you can think of anyone who would be interested in the role!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope they do well and I hope they make interesting products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rod humble

san francisco
Earth
msg tools
badge
I feel quite good about what happened
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news. They have done a fine job with minis rules, hopefully they can do the same with cardboard boxed games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first role for the new designer is to clearly establish what is, and what is not, a wargame. It is estimated this could increase the GDP of BGGland by 17% annually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that they'd focus on the tactical level, since that is closest to their other business. Perhaps they'll start with a tactical game set during Nappy/ACW/WW2 times. An expandable system, which appeals to miniature gamers as well.

In any case, isn't this a great testimony to the vitality of the wargaming hobby? For a company from another - albeit related industry - moving into the wargaming sphere?

With an increasing number of professionally run wargame publishers, they all need to raise the bar in the quality of their products.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rodvik wrote:
Good news. They have done a fine job with minis rules, hopefully they can do the same with cardboard boxed games.

Isn't the fundamental difference between board wargaming and miniature wargaming that the latter use fussy rulers? I don't understand why miniature gamers put up with that. Couldn't they just have a hexagonal pattern printed on felt material and be done with it? Ever so much easier, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Their best bet would be to license GMT games and publish them in Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moss_icon wrote:
Their best bet would be to license GMT games and publish them in Europe.

You little beaut!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
So overpriced games in a small format with little content where you have to buy a dozen modules to get the whole shebang?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Rinella wrote:
They're not going to draw much in the way of talent with a one year contract offer. How many games do they expect this person to help churn out in twelve months?

If Steven Zaloga designed games, then maybe one per month...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John New
United States
Accokeek, Maryland/
New York, NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

At least they'll probably look very pretty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
charlesf wrote:
rodvik wrote:

Isn't the fundamental difference between board wargaming and miniature wargaming that the latter use fussy rulers? I don't understand why miniature gamers put up with that. Couldn't they just have a hexagonal pattern printed on felt material and be done with it? Ever so much easier, no?

I don't understand why hexers insist on such arbitrary and limited movement, and a flat grid that also removes the possibility of using nice-looking terrain. Couldn't you just learn not to bump the chits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hawkins
United Kingdom
Willingham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rodvik wrote:

So Tomorrow's War (second edition) was just the exception that proves the rule

edit: Oops, changed from 1st to the printed 2nd edition (not seen the PDF) blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stalica
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting development - it'll be fascinating to see the results.

I'll be watching...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something tells me that recruiting for a Games Designer is not going to work very well -- it's like a publisher deciding it's now going to publish Great Poetry, and will begin by recruiting for a poet. I'd be happy to be wrong about this, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesf wrote:
rodvik wrote:

You either get miniatures or you don't. If you don't, no amount of explaining or convincing will matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bob_santafe wrote:
Something tells me that recruiting for a Games Designer is not going to work very well -- it's like a publisher deciding it's now going to publish Great Poetry, and will begin by recruiting for a poet. I'd be happy to be wrong about this, however.

Yet they're offering a position as Games Developer, no? One who manages the wargames line. Doesn't mean he'd necessarily bring a design of his own into the fray.

Being prolific as a designer comes at a cost. Take Joe Miranda. He designs more than one game a month, whereas others spend years on their labours of love. By the looks of it, it shows in not exactly stellar ratings.

With over 170 games published, the highest wargame rank he's achieved is #171 with ZULU ON THE RAMPARTS. Now that may be partially due to how they're published, but it's still not exactly impressive a showing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They'll do what they did with their rule sets and take existing designs from outside,polish them up and publish.

The Ambush Alley rule system was out already in a 1st edition so Osprey used its expertise and marketing clout to bring out a second edition plus a range of scenario books.

Osprey have access to retail chains and large online sellers so now you can buy wargames rulesets in high street stores and sellers like Amazon.

Miniature gamers are already aware of the huge amount of rulesets they have done,check them out- http://www.ospreypublishing.com/wargaming/ .

Hopefully some existing dormant games will be re licensed and redone.

Upfront anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't they also take some of their miniatures rules and make boardgames out of them? Just add hexes and chits? Or have plastic figurines?

If those miniatures rules are so much fun, probably some board wargamers would enjoy them without having to purchase expensive miniatures and deal with the ideosyncratic rulers.

Seems to me it'd make such systems more accessible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesf wrote:
bob_santafe wrote:

Yet they're offering a position as Games Developer, no? One who manages the wargames line. Doesn't mean he'd necessarily bring a design of his own into the fray.

OK -- then it would be like the poetry magazine advertising for an editor. That would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.