Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Range ruler rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Debiec
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I found that playing on a larger surface with the standart range ruler it looks akward and cluttered.
The range rule is not quite 12" long so if you have to ships flying at each other separated by a foot or more you don't get to shoot in the previous turn and once you move you are on top of each other or flown past.
Instead i double the distance so that long range is 2 feetaway.

That way when you approach you still get to shoot at least once before everybody is on top of each other being best mates.
Aslo fighting at short range (4") looks somehow wrong as the ships are virtuallyon top of each other.
I don't playturnaments and plan to have 6x4 playing area so that the fights will look more realistic.

Just my 2 cents

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever works for you. The larger play area makes for longer fights, but increasing the range could counter that. Maybe keep the basic ruler and then add 2 defence dice past the long range for up to 2'? Not sure what you would do for target locks and the ranges of the various missiles and torps, HLC etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Debiec
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That sounds good for rangers over 1 foot to 2 feet max add ( but here i think 1 defence die)

Thanks

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
akagi6 wrote:
you don't get to shoot in the previous turn and once you move you are on top of each other or flown past.

If you did not intend to fly past, then you picked the wrong maneuver. You do know that you have slower forward speeds than 5 and 4?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Debiec
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yep kept my foot on the gas, but the point is the range seems to short to engage before u are on top of each other but with bigger game board the 2 foot range might work it would be visually more pleasing if nothin else and really i'm not changing any rules.
Love the game by the way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you increase the shooting range compared to maneuver templates, less maneuverable ships will be obsolete, and balance will suffer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jude007 wrote:
If you increase the shooting range compared to maneuver templates, less maneuverable ships will be obsolete, and balance will suffer.

Which is why I suggested having an extreme range of 1' to 2' giving 2 extra green dice. As the OP really wants to play that way. The other thing is he may try it out and find out how unbalanced it becomes and abandon it. I say, help him try it out giving the best possible chance of having fun. Personally, I like the game just fine - rules as written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jude007 wrote:

The OP is talking about doubling engagement range and more than doubling play area; somehow I suspect the kind of game balance you're talking about is less important to him than some combination of look and feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Debiec
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you
I tried it and it works fine for my purpuses there are more engaments at longer distances (my intention) so that not all ships get to dogfight. what it does is that you have more time to use your secondary weapons (tie bombers)
One thing that i have to addreess though.......the firing arc works fine for the game as intended but when i extend the range to 2' then the arc is just too big so i will ..........wait for this make the arc 45 degrees for primary weapons and use the arc on the bases for secondary weapons and target locks. that will make target locks bit more challenging to aquire then 360 degrees.
Also i glue my pilot tokens to the bases....no exanging pilots for me so that i will have dare i say it "historic squadrons like the black squadron, red etc.
Now my questions is i know that a wing of fighters has around 4 squadrons and that a squadron has 12 fighters but how do you further divide a squadron is it groups, flights of 4 or 3?
Thank you for all your input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
akagi6 wrote:

Now my questions is i know that a wing of fighters has around 4 squadrons and that a squadron has 12 fighters but how do you further divide a squadron is it groups, flights of 4 or 3?
Thank you for all your input.

That very much depends on your military.

A modern Royal Air Force wing consists of 3 or 4 squadrons and is commanded by a Wing Commander (equivalent to a Lt. Colonel) or a Group Commander (equivalent to a Colonel). Most Squadrons consist of 12 operational aircraft (there are sometimes extras available to keep the Squadron up to strength), and is divided into two flights of 6. In 1940 these were divided into 2 elements of 3, but during the Battle of Britain it was found that people work better in pairs than in trios, so from about '41 forward, a flight is split into 3 elements of 2.

United States Navy Wings are very variable, as they're really administrative organisations consisting of anywhere from 2 to 8 squadrons. For your purposes, Carrier Air Wings are probably most useful, and are reasonably consistent across the fleet. The typical carrier wing has: 1 squadron of 12 - 14 2-seat F/A-18Fs, 3 squadrons of 10 - 14 1-seat F/A-18Cs or Es (sometimes one of these squadrons belongs to the Marines), 1 squadron of 4 or 5 electronic warfare fighter/bombers, 1 squadron of 4 AWACS planes, a couple helicopter squadrons, and a couple of transport aircraft. The fighter squadrons are then usually spilt into three flights of 4, which split into 2 elements of 2.

For Star Wars, many different sources have done different things. The combat scenes in New Hope are based on Battle-of-Britain footage, and so everyone is operating in 3-ship elements. I've seen sources follow that, and other forces base it on the modern USN wing. So there's some room to make up your own mind. I like to deploy the Empire in 3- and 6- ship units myself.

In general, the US-dominated western world tends to deploy fighters in squadrons of twelve that split into flights of 4 and elements of 2. But unlike arithmetic, there isn't one right answer. The RAAF, I'm pretty sure, does the 12/6/2 split the RAF does. (The RCAF, which has to integrate with the USAF, does the 12/4/2 split.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Debiec
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for your informative answer.
As you have stated i thin i will operate in 3 ship elemets(squads) and have 4 squads to a squadron like vader and his 2 wingmen in the trench run.
Currently i'm working on the black squadron so far i have The Darth Vader in his Tie advanced and 8 ties... 3 to go.
Next obsidian squadron..........ahhhhhhhh but the cost

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy betsch
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Rogue and Wraith Squadrons, in the X-wing books, used 3 flights of 4 to divide their squadrons up. Each flight of 4 had a Flight Leader (Wedge, Tycho, and Corran for the last Rogue book, and Wedge, Wes, and Face for the final Wraith book in the trilogy) that led their flight through the battle after the squadron had it's initial run. Each flight was further divided into Wing-pairs, but that's just smart flying sense. Wedge would only take 2 wingmen when there was a weak pilot, or when the squadron was overmanned (Like when Lara first joined the Wraiths)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Debiec
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you very much to everyone who responded, very insightful info
Thank for the help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.