Jay Townsend
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1st St. Albans

I played my first scenario in Blood & Roses with a predictable Yorkist Army victory but is was a good scenarios to play, to kind of learn the game again, as it has been a couple of years since I played Infidel and there has been a few minor changes in the seizure rules, new terrain types and so on. Too bad I read the rules last week and played this week, as my memory isn’t as good as it once was and I noticed I misses a few things but I will reread them before my second scenario.

The York’s Longbows softened up the Lancastrians before moving forward with Infantry, Men-at-Arms and Leaders but still the Tonman Ditch is a real pain to fight across and the York’s don’t have forever to just shot longbows as it is a timed scenario which puts pressure on them to attack but with some disordered Lancastrians from Longbow fire attacking the line was a bit easier, but not too much. Once some Yorkist units crossed over into the clear/street, orchard areas the fighting became easier and the Lancastrian Army was soon in flight losing 6 points to the Yorkist 3 points, deserting their King. I think I should have pulled the Lancastrian Army back into the houses with a better defensive terrain bonus and then I believe they would have a chance to win this. But for my first play, this was a great size scenario to relearn this great system of games. I really enjoyed it. No Cavalry or Mounted Men-at-Arms in this scenario so I still have more to relearn but that is half the fun.

I can't wait to play the 2nd St. Albans scenario as I really love the map!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Has anyone tried turning the northern flank by going up to the bridge and down? Protecting the bridge in the middle for the Lanks becomes a dilemma. Shifting one battle that far out can spell disaster, but I'm definitely curious about this possible move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
Yes, that was a common move in playtest. Stretch the Lancastrian line or go around it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Played again tonight and the other flank was turned to stunning success...on of all things...reaction fire and rolling two 0's in a row.

I have to say that my main complaint is how swingy the game seems to be. I don't need perfect control of my army or likely outcomes, but 1d10 just seems to push things to the extreme of success or failure with greater frequency than most gamers are used to seeing.

Was consideration given to changing the odds distribution through different dice combinations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
We did not consider major changes to the basic system, such as what die is used in combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.