Flash Duel: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
So I'm hoping somebody can help me here with a couple of rules clarifications. I'm a little confused with what is actually quite simple parts of the game, but I can't seem to actually find the answers anywhere.

First question:
Player 1 plays a dashing strike
Player 2 decides to retreat using a small number
Player 1 is still within reach of attacking player, so he decides to attack
...this is where we can't figure out the correct response. Can player 2 block this attack if he is able to with cards? Or as this is a recovery turn he isn't able to? I would have thought the latter but I can't actually seem to find a clear answer either way.

Second question is a really simple question but once again I can't really find a straight answer:
I feel quite silly for asking this as it seems obvious, but does an ability count as your action for the turn? So if you have an ability that lets you attack, can you also attack as your action for your turn? Or do you just use the ability and then end your turn?

Apologies if these are obvious question, thanks for your help in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1st question: You got the "order" wrong.

Player 1 plays a dashing strike
Player 2 decides to retreat using a small number
PLAYER 2 RECOVER (it is his turn's action, then he draw cards to full hand)
Player 1 is still within reach of attacking player, so he decides to attack

So player 2 can block since he recovered already.

2nd question: Special ability doesnt count as your action unless the special ability is an action. In your example, you could not use both your ability and an attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
Ohhhhh, that makes a lot of sense I guess I was getting confused as I was thinking that the retreat is part of his action, rather than a reaction to the attack like a block also is. Thanks so much for clearing that up for me! Such a simple thing but I got confused there. Also the second question with the abilities also makes a lot of sense and that's pretty much how I thought it worked.

Excellent, we should be able to play it smoothly now, which is great as I really enjoy the game. Thanks again mate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
be careful with the second question, as I've seen people get it wrong in play and the example/answer above concern me. Abilities that actually replace your turn's action are extremely rare, and if you exclude the Deathstrike Dragon then possibly non-existant (think only ones are Deathstrike Dragon's Deep Breath, which makes it obvious by saying "instead of your main turns action", and possibly Jaina's Flame-Arrow, as clarified by an unpublished, extended FAQ out there). An example of an ability that does NOT replace your main action, but I've seen people misunderstand:

Jaina's Charged Shot (Start of your turn):

Reveal a card from your hand to push an opponent back that many spaces.

Because "push" is one of the 4 actions you can take on your turn, some people think that this move replaces your main action. It doesn't.

So as a rule of thumb, you should just assume an ability does not use your action unless it explicitly says otherwise IMO. Even the possible Flame Arrow exception just doesn't matter in 2 player.

P.S. In the first edition of Flash Duel, "Start of Your Turn" ability triggers were instead called "Pre-combat." i think Start of Your Turn sounds better, but Pre-Combat made it more obvious that these did not replace your action, even if the abiltiy resembles an action (pushing, moving, etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.