Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The...
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Please use this as a discussion thread to talk about what's going on over in Merchants & Marauders Play-By-Forum #2, "Buccaneers of Bluff Cove".

If you're not a player in that game, please refrain from posting in the main thread and keep all discussion here.

Thanks much, and we hope you enjoy watching and heckling as much as the players will enjoy playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
Woops! I promise that last comment in the main PBF will be the last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
I should keel-haul you as an example to everyone else! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another quick rule question about timing of using Special Weapons during Merchant Raids:
Say my bumbling captain only rolls one success on four dice.
Do I have to decide at that point whether to use special weapons to convert any of those failures to success?
Or could I draw a new card with my one success and then decide to use a special weapons token to discard or replace the new card I didn't like?
We have been doing the latter in my previous plays, but now I am wondering if that is correct.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't recall where offhand, but it's been clarified somewhere that you have to commit any Specials you want to use right after making the initial roll - you can't throw in extras later.

Doing it the other way does give the pirate a bit more control over the raid, so if that's the way the four of you would prefer to do it I'd be fine with that. I can list it in the main post as one of the custom rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
I can't recall where offhand, but it's been clarified somewhere that you have to commit any Specials you want to use right after making the initial roll - you can't throw in extras later.

Doing it the other way does give the pirate a bit more control over the raid, so if that's the way the four of you would prefer to do it I'd be fine with that. I can list it in the main post as one of the custom rules.

I'll let the others chime in, but I would prefer to play it the right way. Seems a little more challenging too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cary Haynie
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
http://zmangames.com/rulebooks/Merchants_And_Marauders_FAQ.p...

Page 4 says special weapons can only be played after the Seamanship roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically either way would still be "after the seamanship roll" but I'm ok with either ruling as long as we're consistent.

Thematically you can argue that the captain would call for those guns to be loaded specially prior to the engagement, or you could argue that the non-merchant combat occurs in rounds and allows for changes in orders given to the crew in that fashion, so a "that didn't work, try something else!" option may exist.

Since merchant raiding is pretty easy in general, I'd lean towards declaring in advance. Even if you don't need it, you can probably gain 3 gold back for having spent it and buy another in your next port.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically you wouldn't know for sure what was actually on the merchant ship until after you captured it, you wouldn't know what kind of damage you'd take until you took it,, and you wouldn't know how hard it would be to chase down the merchant if it tried to run. Even though the card manipulation really abstracts the process quite a bit, I do think it makes more sense that you'd throw everything out up front before seeing how it turns out.

---------

Completely separate -- I just wanted to mention a quick note on PBF "etiquette" in general.

It's assumed that people usually have other stuff going on during the weekends, so that one-post-per-day recommendation gets relaxed. If you are available you can certainly keep playing (and I should still be available to cover updates as needed), but if you are busy with other things you don't need to go out of your way to log into BGG and take your next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cary Haynie
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Woelf wrote:
It's assumed that people usually have other stuff going on during the weekends, so that one-post-per-day recommendation gets relaxed. If you are available you can certainly keep playing (and I should still be available to cover updates as needed), but if you are busy with other things you don't need to go out of your way to log into BGG and take your next turn.

Ah, that reminds me. My wife keeps mentioning something about "having a baby on Wednesday," (I'm not sure what that means) so I'll most likely not be able to login Wednesday - Friday-ish.

I don't want to hold up the game any more than I already have; what would be the best way to have someone play me in absentia for those two days?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caryhaynie wrote:
Woelf wrote:

Ah, that reminds me. My wife keeps mentioning something about "having a baby on Wednesday," (I'm not sure what that means) so I'll most likely not be able to login Wednesday - Friday-ish.

I don't want to hold up the game any more than I already have; what would be the best way to have someone play me in absentia for those two days?

I don't mind a hold up if everyone else doesn't. Otherwise you could ask the original Dread Pirate Keelan to cover for you for a couple of days

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, can we just do a standard goods roll for the new in-demand good? That way a port action involving buying doesn't get interrupted. In fact I think that means everyone can do their turn uninterrupted unless it is player vs player combat.
Hear that Wade, I said PvP. You just remember that the next time you get a Glory Point for delivering 3 of the same in-demand good! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caryhaynie wrote:

Having a baby is no excuse for missing your turn!

Seriously though, there's nothing wrong at all with putting the game on a temporary hold for a few days until things settle down for you a bit. Take as much time as you need. It's good that you let us know ahead of time so we didn't have to wonder where you disappeared to for several days.

Is this your first, or do you have a few others already?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steckman wrote:
Also, can we just do a standard goods roll for the new in-demand good? That way a port action involving buying doesn't get interrupted. In fact I think that means everyone can do their turn uninterrupted unless it is player vs player combat.
Sure, we can do that!

Do you want to let it go full random, or enforce the physical token limit of no more than three ports wanting a specific good? (It would just mean rerolling if there were already three ports with the demanded good.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
steckman wrote:
Sure, we can do that!

Do you want to let it go full random, or enforce the physical token limit of no more than three ports wanting a specific good? (It would just mean rerolling if there were already three ports with the demanded good.)

Might as well impose the limit of three ports with the demand good. Just means that merchants have to do a little more work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do I get the sneaking suspicion that Wade has acquired the "Frame" Glory Card? Doh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chomping at the bit for the new turn! Can't wait to see what the hell the French and English captains do. One of them may have to feel the wrath of my shiny new Frigate!
arrrh
... oh what the hell, let's kick that up a notch ...
devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this is the part where I beg that I actually did something wrong with my boarding action? cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have we lost Cary entirely, or is he just really busy with other stuff right now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well gentlemen, it has been a crazy ride but I'm going to declare this game dead. We may get together one afternoon and try to finish the game off at my house, but the online thing clearly isn't working out!
Thanks to Kyle for being an attentive and patient host!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the status update.

With the others not being BGG regulars, I was suspecting that they might have drifted off after that long break. Keeping up on a PBF thread for weeks or even months at a time can be tough when you're not already spending a big chunk of your time elsewhere on the site, so it's understandable.

It went well while it lasted, and I was especially glad to see that the custom dice worked out even better than I'd hoped. If I run another of these someday those are definitely getting used again. I might even take it a step further and use rolls to determine the Mission and Event cards (Rumors and Glory too, if players are willing to go with open information on those).

If the four of you ever do sit down face-to-face to finish this game, let me know who wins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.