Subject: Pursuit Cavalry, Part I rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Noone
United States
Blue Bell
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
In other games I've seen where light cavalry is the type of cavalry used for pursuit while heavy cavalry is used strictly as battlefield cavalry. Here in this system it doesn't seem to matter which type is used for pursuit and I wonder why; however, I'm not complaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Rouy
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
This is a good point. There is some misconception about the use of cavalry on the tactical level as compared to the operational level (pursuit after a battle for example)

Light and heavy cavalry had clear different roles in a battle, as you point out, but once a decision was made, every horse was unleached on the ennemy to harm it as much as possible.

The famous pursuit after Jena led by Murat was performed with his 15,000 cavalry, not only his 2,200 light.

There might also be misconception on speed, especially on the operational level. Cavalry in general was a little faster than infantry on the long run, but not much. Horses were mainly walking over long distances, not galloping all over the place. And the average speed of light cavalry was not much better than heavy for the same reason, even if on average their horses were a little lighter and faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.