Subject: New AO Mini-Expansion: The King In Yellow rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Driver
New Zealand
Christchurch
N/A
flag msg tools
I seem to be having trouble posting this to the files section (keep getting errors) so for now, since this is more or less complete, I figured I'd stick it here with my own hosting.

This is a mini-expansion for Eldritch Horror which adds "The King In Yellow" ancient one to the game complete with new mysteries, new research encounters, a new "Act" mechanic to increase the difficulty of the game as it progresses, and a new "Performance" encounter deck which replaces the gate deck and represents the investigators' efforts to stop the performances of "The King In Yellow" play which are taking place around the world.

We have not yet extensively play-tested the expansion, though it seemed to work well with 3-5 players.

Our aim in creating this was to develop a highly thematic experience, hence the separate research encounter cards to allow for longer flavour text, and the creation of the Performance deck. We also drew heavily on the original Robert Chambers short stories which featured The King In Yellow. We would welcome any and all feedback on mechanics, flavour, difficulty or anything else. Enjoy!

Edit: It looks like the file upload worked correctly after-all, so you can get it from BGG here: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/100957/the-king-in-yellow-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. A lot of work went into this. Definitely something I'd like to try (maybe when I've eventually beaten the base game!) Thanks for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Excellent work. There are only two mysteries, am I meant to add a random third one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
Seriously, it looks great. I hope I can fit it on letter sized paper.

Jacob Busby wrote:
Excellent work. There are only two mysteries, am I meant to add a random third one?

There are three more on pages 11-12.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ark Atreides
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow, just wow. Can't wait to try this out!

Did you use some kind of software to create the cards or all drawn from scratch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
panos roussakis
msg tools
mbmbmb
Unbelievable work !!!!

You guys are awesome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks beautiful!

Any tips on printing/cutting with the current PDF layout (i.e. double sided printing, etc.)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ficek
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Um.... this looks AWESOME

Thanks so much for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tajs Seelen
Netherlands
Etten-Leur
NB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are the kind of things that makes BGG so valuable for us boardgamers. Thanks for the amazing work you've put into it, I will definitely try it out. Looks like fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Driver
New Zealand
Christchurch
N/A
flag msg tools
Thanks for the feedback guys, we really appreciate it and would love to hear your views on it once you've given it a go. Since we did change some of the basic mechanics (e.g. how doom is accumulated) it may take a bit of tweaking to get the balance just right.

Someone had also suggested to me creating multiple versions of each Act card so that you end up with a slightly different experience each time (e.g. different cultist stats, losing Stamina instead of Sanity etc) so that might be something else we add at some point.

Arkatreides wrote:
Wow, just wow. Can't wait to try this out!

Did you use some kind of software to create the cards or all drawn from scratch?

All drawn from scratch unfortunately (well, edited from the images that FF has made available and scans of the base game cars). I couldn't work out if there was a way to make Strange Aeons work with the new cards, so hopefully someone more technically minded than myself might have a go at that one day

sabbat00 wrote:
Looks beautiful!

Any tips on printing/cutting with the current PDF layout (i.e. double sided printing, etc.)?

It's designed so that it can be printed double-sided (unless my spatial awareness is faulty which is entirely possible).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arutha ConDoin
Belgium
Dilsen - Stokkem
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work! I'm gonna play-test this tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
Wow, this looks amazing! I'd be interested in seeing how people find this but it looks really logical and a little different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
What kind of card would people normally use to print this kind of thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Driver
New Zealand
Christchurch
N/A
flag msg tools
Rikboy wrote:
What kind of card would people normally use to print this kind of thing?

If you've got access to a printer that can print on cardstock, that works great (or you can use a service like printerstudio.com to do it), but I generally just print this kind of thing out on thick paper on a colour laser printer, single-sided, and then sleeve the printed cards along with a spare card of the same size in-between to add thickness.

However if you don't have spare cards to do this with then printing on stiffer paper in the first place would probably work better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awake Land
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, neat expansion.

Need to pull a bunch of cultists out from Arkham for theme, but as the rules said, any monster counter works.

Seems viable. Looks like there will be 4 turns of act 1, 4 turns of act 2, and then all the rest of the turns will be act 3, unless investigators manipulate the omen track, which some cards can do this.

Question! Akachi's special abilities? Assuming it does not work since Acts are not really gates, but plays. Neither of her abilities would help - (or perhaps they could?), so I'm thinking she should be basically excluded for game balance or not used for the scenario? Thinking the remaining investigators don't have any issues with the rule changes. Just a question of thematically working

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Driver
New Zealand
Christchurch
N/A
flag msg tools
AwakeLand wrote:

Question! Akachi's special abilities? Assuming it does not work since Acts are not really gates, but plays. Neither of her abilities would help - (or perhaps they could?), so I'm thinking she should be basically excluded for game balance or not used for the scenario? Thinking the remaining investigators don't have any issues with the rule changes. Just a question of thematically working

Thank you!

Good question. I'd forgotten about Akachi. In any case, after a couple more play-throughs and encountering some Mythos cards we hadn't seen in earlier games it seems that the Doom mechanic (being linked to number of performances rather than the gate symbols as per the base game) was more trouble than it was worth, so we've created an updated version that uses the gates as normal (except that you "close" them by ending performances via the performance deck rather than the gate deck). Hopefully this should address Akachi as well as quite a number of the Mythos cards.

The new version also contains three sets of Act cards of varying levels of difficulty so you can tailor the experience somewhat, or just mix and match at random for a more unpredictable game! I have updated the file link in my original post and will upload the new version to BGG files section shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Walker
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool James. Thanks for the effort, can't wait to try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awake Land
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, already had it printed out on card stock, but we can reprint a few pages

Looks really cool, love all the tons of *research* cards! Makes it interesting and then specific performance(gate) cards. Very thematic, and tons of nice work went into this!

Looks like it's going to be fun! Thanks!

(Eldritch is our fav game!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eeeeeeeeyyyyowwwwwwwwwwww this is brutal! Played solo with 3 Investigators and took a shellacking!!!

I think this is the first fan-made expansion for EH, released before the official Expansion- Congrats on beating FFG to the punch!

What's this? No Omen/Gates/Doom mechanic? Cultists everywhere to the exclusion of other Monsters? No Rumours? To anyone with similar doubts I'll just say, try it out and all shall be made clear. No need to peek at the cards ahead of time; take my word for it, this all works out beautifully.

I sooo want to do a full-blown Review...

Got some suggestions:

1) Some Mysteries say "Retreat Omen". This needs clarifying cause it can make the Green Comet come up twice in a row- not a good thing.

2) Too many Cultists? I added all the Cultist tokens from AH and still nearly ran out. It's a shame the regular Monsters don't show up as much- maybe when all 5 Cultists are on the board you should draw any additional Monsters from the cup, for some variety.

3)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Certain Monsters come up during Encounters- I encountered the Witch and Riot. Don't know how many others are in the cards, but maybe these should all be set aside during Setup.

4) Keep the Gates (Performances) face-up, mainly because certain Mythos cards use Gates with corresponding Omen symbols for their effects. Also it's easier to see which City you're in.

5) Proofread. The one typo I found is no biggie, but I'd really suggest you go over some of the Encounters once more to make the wording more concise. That's more of a "biggie". It's tough to fit everything you want to say into one paragraph but remember- Stephen King said there's no great writers, only great re-writers.

You've done an outstanding job! I think it could use a few "tweaks" and I'm more than happy to play-test it a few more times! (Note: think I played the version before you re-worked some of the stuff)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Driver
New Zealand
Christchurch
N/A
flag msg tools
AwakeLand wrote:
Heh, already had it printed out on card stock, but we can reprint a few pages

Sorry about that - there might be a few more edits to come, although probably only for minor changes!

Thoth Amon wrote:
Eeeeeeeeyyyyowwwwwwwwwwww this is brutal! Played solo with 3 Investigators and took a shellacking!!!

Thanks so much for the feedback, that's really helpful.

You're right about the gates being better face up - we'd really wanted to try a different mechanic for doom advancement but it seemed too hard to get the balance quite right in the end, and it did mean that some of the mythos cards didn't really work, as you'd noted.

Hadn't thought of the retreating the omen being a bad thing either, but that seems kinda obvious now that you mention it. Probably the simplest fix would be to change it to "may" retreat the omen but we'll give it some thought.

Agreed re: the rewording. It was a bit overwhelming trying to come up with so many encounters at first so there's probably a lot we could do to improve the phrasing/brevity.

In our games we never ended up with that many cultists though (at least not until the endgame..) We had originally considered using other monsters once the cultists ran out - specifically, spawning a riot, then a zombie horde (maddened audience) so that would be an option, and as you've noted there could already be a good reason to keep other monsters aside. I'm kinda torn on this one - I like the heavy cultist focus as a thematic thing and as a bit of variation from the other AOs, but I can see the possible downside from a replayability perspective of not using other monsters much. It would be easy enough to make this change for your own group of course

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awake Land
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're playing tonight so we'll see how it goes. Looking forward to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Antonio
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A treasure ,
Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kerronz wrote:

.Agreed re: the rewording. It was a bit overwhelming trying to come up with so many encounters at first so there's probably a lot we could do to improve the phrasing/brevity.

I'd be glad to help with a few re-writes.

Was about to suggest you raise the Creepiness level a bit, but then I came across.....well, I won't spoil it. But I gotta ask have you ever seen the movie
"Lords Of Salem"
? You're a sick man... :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Driver
New Zealand
Christchurch
N/A
flag msg tools
Thoth Amon wrote:

I'd be glad to help with a few re-writes.

Was about to suggest you raise the Creepiness level a bit, but then I came across.....well, I won't spoil it. But I gotta ask have you ever seen the movie
"Lords Of Salem"
? You're a sick man... :-)

Nope, though I'm curious what the connection is - I read the plot synopsis but I'm guessing there must be a particular scene that parallels one of the cards?

There's definitely room for improvement on the creepiness side of things - we were struggling coming up with enough ideas for all the cards so I certainly feel that some are more interesting than others.

Thanks tons for the offer to help with re-writes - I'm very happy to have additional input as I'm really keen to get this as polished as possible and realise we probably can't get there with just the two of us! I can make the original .psd files available to make editing easier - it's quite a large file but that's probably quicker than trying to rewrite the entire paragraph.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awake Land
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First play through, went well until I realized near the end I was doing the monster spawn (gate if no match) incorrectly 1/2 Arkham and 1/2 Eldritch (we just got Arkham and are learning it). So it made it too easy.

Even so, wow, some great writing and encounters, really thematic with the performance "close" cards. We got into it, and some pretty creepy/scary/thematic encounters in there, nice! Also the cultists start getting tough by act 2 before anyone had weapons, this is good, by act 3 they were possessed.

Can't wait to try this again when we can start earlier on the weekend!

Excellent! Can't wait to give it another go doing the spawns the Eldritch way.

1 suggestion, I see why we only put out the monster surge# of cultists, total each monster surge. This is no doubt so everyone does not lose 2 sanity (or worse) every single reckoning. If people can heal only 1, everyone is going to be drained to 0 in a few turns. So yeah, the cultist surge needs to be limited, and the surge limit seems good for that (total, not per gate - right?)

Even so, thinking that if there are say, 2 or more open gates (4 investigators) that match a symbol, could fill in the other monsters with ghouls, witches, warlocks, riots, and other thematic "human-ish" monsters - and still spread out the 2 (for 4 investigators) cultists for the monster spawn. Makes it a little harder - although thinking it will be pretty hard anyway.

Thanks again, can't wait to try this again, really like the encounter cards - some interesting stuff in there - kinda afraid to go to sea again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.