Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan S
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey fellow BGG'ers! So, I've been playing Level 7 (Escape), and I really enjoy it! I'm now in the market for another game that's similar: Exploring by turning tiles, gathering items, fighting stuff- the usual!
I do play solo more than I do with other people, so something that you play against the board would get a lot more use, but isn't mandatory for your suggestions.
The first obvious choice is Betrayal At House On The Hill, but I'm not dropping $100 (minimum) on it! Just something in the vain of those two. Anyone played Doom: The Board Game? Or would one of the D&D games be a good choice?
I'd love to own Mansions of Madness one day (and everything else Lovecraftian!) but I'm just not sure it would get played very often, since that's 2 players MINIMUM! Help!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Betrayal at House on the Hill $34.99
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I saw that last week! I'm a little concerned that it isn't updated info. I don't want to drop the money and then have to wait 6 months to get the game!
Here's a note from someone on the Wizards.com forum from a month ago: "I just got off the phone with Wizards of the Coast and the official company line is "we have a reprint on schedule but we have not set a release date yet"."

But Reddit in Feb. is saying a reprint is scheduled for this month. For that price, it might be worth it risking the wait!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gears of War: The Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Looks very cool! I'll definitely add this to my list of possibles, and check out some gameplay videos later! Thank you for the suggestion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Winslow
United States
Upland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Betrayal is probably not a good choice because it requires at least 3 players.

For solo dungeon crawls, Gears of War gets the most props here on the geek.

The D&D games all play well solo and are definitely tile-based dungeon crawls. Each of the three have similar mechanics (which are very simple to learn) but they each have a different flavor. Any would fit your need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Agapow
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
I used to own Doom and eventually traded it on. I felt that it sat uneasily between a tactical and storytelling game. (I'm thinking here of the alien player reading paragraphs to the marine players and telling them that certain things happened.) Conversely, the game has a lot of fans.

Betrayal is certainly tile-based and a game I enjoy a lot. My caveats would be that game can be a bit random: players meander around the house, hoping to find useful stuff depending on whatever the monster turns out to be. Then again, that's a lot like the movies ...

The D&D games left me a bit cold - there was a lot of very random "now stuff happens", which made the game feel like you were just wandering around. But again, they have their fans.

Other possibilities are:

* Claustrophobia: awesome, 2 player only though. No solo.
* Earth Reborn: ditto.
* Zombicide: would work quite well solo
* Last Night On Earth: don't think this would do solo.
* Descent: of course.
* Level 7 Omega Protocol: alas, no solo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sometimes I wish I had split personalities, so I could rock all these two-player games when my friends can't come over! I appreciate the information; I've looked into several of these, and have them on a "one day, I'll probably own you" list. Last Night On Earth is a definite, but I agree that solo probably wouldn't work at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jeswins wrote:
Betrayal is probably not a good choice because it requires at least 3 players.

For solo dungeon crawls, Gears of War gets the most props here on the geek.

The D&D games all play well solo and are definitely tile-based dungeon crawls. Each of the three have similar mechanics (which are very simple to learn) but they each have a different flavor. Any would fit your need.

Yeah, I realize that about Betrayal, but I don't mind it sitting on my shelf until I can organize game nights. I've just heard so much great stuff about it, I really want to own it!

Gears is definitely moving towards the top of my list as of now!

And I'm going to look into the D&D games a bit more in depth, see what I like/dislike about them.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
A dungeon crawl similar to Betrayal with an unofficial solo variant: Dungeon Run
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
if you can find a copy, maybe try DungeonQuest. flipping tiles, and fun solo. just dont go in expecting to win
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia is just a fabulous wee game for two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.