Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Brennan
United States
Morris Plains
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules and long, complex and a little hard to read. Once we get the game rules down, I'm sure I will wonder how I ever missed these, but for now, I have a couple questions:

1. What happens to encounter markers when Dracula's location cards are revealed? Do they stay so Dracula can try to mature them? Or are they returned? We played that they are returned and Dracula never got to mature a single encounter, esp after the Hunters played Jonathan Harker (which automatically forces a reveal of the oldest card every turn.)

2. Combat was a little confusing at first, but we finally got it figured out. But what happens when a combat ends after three continues? The rules say three continues is treated as if the combat ends, and one of the combatants is considered to have escaped, but there is not explanation of what that means. Do all players remain in the space? Do they move away from the space?

We liked the game, we think, but we spent a lot of time paging through the rule book trying to figure things out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bey
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayb3369 wrote:
The rules and long, complex and a little hard to read. Once we get the game rules down, I'm sure I will wonder how I ever missed these, but for now, I have a couple questions:

1. What happens to encounter markers when Dracula's location cards are revealed? Do they stay so Dracula can try to mature them? Or are they returned? We played that they are returned and Dracula never got to mature a single encounter, esp after the Hunters played Jonathan Harker (which automatically forces a reveal of the oldest card every turn.)

2. Combat was a little confusing at first, but we finally got it figured out. But what happens when a combat ends after three continues? The rules say three continues is treated as if the combat ends, and one of the combatants is considered to have escaped, but there is not explanation of what that means. Do all players remain in the space? Do they move away from the space?

We liked the game, we think, but we spent a lot of time paging through the rule book trying to figure things out.

1) encounter markers stay on locations, even when the location card is revealed. The only way to get rid of an encounter is to "pop" it by entering that city... Otherwise it will mature when it falls off the track.

2) If a combat ends with 3 continues, all characters stay in the city. Play proceeds as normal.

Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayb3369 wrote:

If the location is revealed because a hunter moves to that location, then the hunter must deal with the encounter. After the encounter has been dealt with it is removed. If it is revealed for any other reason then the encounter remains where it is and is not removed unless a hunter later moves there (unless stated otherwise by the revealing effect). Jonathan Harker only reveals the location and would not cause an encounter to be removed (or revealed).

Quote:

All combatants remain in the space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jayb3369 wrote:

When a card falls off the trail, Dracula has the option to keep its encounter on it and add another if he places it in the Catacombs. Otherwise the encounter is matured or discarded.

The only other way encounters are normally discarded is if a hunter enters the city where that encounter is. In that case the encounter may have an effect and then be discarded, or it may remain until defeated (this is true of agents).

Of course if Dracula's trail is cleared, any encounters on the cards that are removed will also be discarded. There may possibly also be cards that remove encounters, but I can;t think of any now.

Quote:

They remain on the space, just as if one of them escaped (assuming Dracula used "Escape as Man").

Quote:

The rules could explain things better, that's for sure! There's a lot of useful information in various threads here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.