Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Zombicide Season 2: Prison Outbreak» Forums » Rules

Subject: Contradictions with zombivor rules PO/TCM rulebook rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I am still debating with some friends on how to interpret this, and I wonder if anyone else noticed.

One single different word between PO and TCM manuals change the interpretation on the rule

In PO rulebook, page 22:

At the beginning of any following Players’ turn, before the first
player acts, resurrect the Survivor. Discard all of his Wounded
cards, and replace his downed miniature with his standing
Zombivor miniature.

In TCM rulebook, page 8:

At the beginning of any following Players’ Phase, before the first player acts, resurrect the Survivor. Discard all of his Wounded
cards, and replace his downed miniature by his standing Zombivor
miniature.


One single word, at least for me, makes a huge difference.

From reading the PO manual, it looks like it works like this:

- Survivor X dies;
- Survivor X can choose when to come back as a Zombivor in any next player´s turn, as long as it is before the next "first player" needs to act.

So in this case, depending in what order he is in the Player´s Phase, he could wait a few friends take actions...

From the rule in TCM, this is my understanding:

- Survivor X dies;
- A new Player Phase starts, before the first player acts, he chooses if he wants to come back, if yes, he will rise as a zombivor, and will act as soon as it is his turn;
- If he so chooses, he can wait until another Player Phase, but he will have to wait the whole player phase to finish, and will only come back in another...

Remember, a Player Phase according to the rules is the whole part where players will act... starts with the first player, finishes with the last one... and then the Zombie Phase takes place.

So, which one is correct?

I tend to lean to the one in TCM, since it is the expansion, would it be correct that manual came last?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stegner
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't the "before the first player acts" remove the ambiguity?

Irregardless if we are counting phases or turns, if the first player has acted at all you cannot revive until after the zombies have gone again?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you mean

I think we could interpret that way, but since it says "before the first player", I understood you had to act before

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the TCM version should be the correct one.

i didnt notice the difference before.

i would think that TCM was devloped before PO nut difficult to say since they were released together.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually the biggest clue is that in both cases the apostrophe is after the "s". "Players' phase/turn" and not "Player's phase/turn" should imply that we are talking about the phase during which all players take their actions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kostool13 wrote:
Actually the biggest clue is that in both cases the apostrophe is after the "s". "Players' phase/turn" and not "Player's phase/turn" should imply that we are talking about the phase during which all players take their actions.

The little things mean so much!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rule books to hand to check the wording, but, IIRC, in the original Season 1 rule book, what is now called the "Players' Phase" was called the "Players' Turn".

So, in this context, 'turn' and 'phase' are synonymous.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
I don't have the rule books to hand to check the wording, but, IIRC, in the original Season 1 rule book, what is now called the "Players' Phase" was called the "Players' Turn".

So, in this context, 'turn' and 'phase' are synonymous.


In the original printed manual yes, but that was changed to Players' Phase in version 3 of the pdf

So that does keep the question open.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mestre dos Magos wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
I don't have the rule books to hand to check the wording, but, IIRC, in the original Season 1 rule book, what is now called the "Players' Phase" was called the "Players' Turn".

So, in this context, 'turn' and 'phase' are synonymous.


In the original printed manual yes, but that was changed to Players' Phase in version 3 of the pdf

So that does keep the question open.


In my opinion it just implies that the PO wording is pre- that change.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

In my opinion it just implies that the PO wording is pre- that change.


Yes, after re-reading, and taking into consideration the original wording in the printed first manual, that's the same conclusion I am inclined now
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Muller de Schongor
France
Cachan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Players', not Player's, no matter the term afterwards, the use pof plural leads to only one understanding.
You get to revive between the last Zombie move of Zombie Phase, and the first thing the first player may do.

And only then.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XofMdS wrote:
Players', not Player's, no matter the term afterwards, the use pof plural leads to only one understanding.
You get to revive between the last Zombie move of Zombie Phase, and the first thing the first player may do.

And only then.

Zombie spawn (or perhaps Zombie action).

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but the question that remains is:

- You can wait any following Players's Phase/turn

It implies you can wait longer... you can skip a whole Players'Phase/Turn... and come back later. Let's say, I can wait for a couple of whole turns... (after the first player passed hands a couple of times, lets say), and the only restriction is I have to choose when to come back, before the first player acts on that particular turn

Right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mestre dos Magos wrote:
Yes, but the question that remains is:

- You can wait any following Players's Phase/turn

It implies you can wait longer... you can skip a whole Players'Phase/Turn... and come back later. Let's say, I can wait for a couple of whole turns... (after the first player passed hands a couple of times, lets say), and the only restriction is I have to choose when to come back, before the first player acts on that particular turn

Right?

Right.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Muller de Schongor
France
Cachan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right.
(It was move, not Move but I let you have this one)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.