Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Lykowski
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What time period in history excites you the most? I’m designing a free print-and-play game called ERA, which I hope to actually publish as a real game in the future here. The game includes 8 eras to play from, but I’m interested in seeing what era of history people on the geek really drool and dream over!

Vikings? Renaissance? World War 1? Let me know what time period is hands-down the coolest!

So far, the game includes these 8 historical scenarios, but I’m not sure I’m hitting that “sweet spot” for everybody:

Light of Genius (American Innovators) Invent the first lightbulb with Edison and Tesla, expand Henry Ford’s auto empire, and build the first airplane with the Wright Brothers. Take risks and be rewarded!

Spanish Gold (Spanish Conquistadors) Your galleons have just reached the shores of Mexico. Deploy your conquistadors to spread devastation—and disease—to defeat the Aztecs. Great stores of gold await you!

Empire of Sand (Egyptians) With the power of slaves, advisors, and architects behind you, create the greatest desert empire the world has ever seen.

Apollo Mission (1960’s Space Race) The Apollo program is in full swing, with John F. Kennedy leading. Set out multiple test pads at NASA to make sure the rocket you build will reach the moon!

Plagues and Crusades (Teutonic Knights and the Crusades) Enter the gates of Jerusalem with sword in hand! Take gold, precious artifacts, and defeat the Muslim armies. Back in Europe, beware the oncoming bubonic plague!

Washington’s War (US Revolutionary War) The birth of America is at hand, but mighty England will not have it. Gather together your greatest leaders—Commander Washington, John Adams, and Thomas Jefferson, to achieve freedom!

Viva La Revolution (French Revolutionary War) Off with his head! Have your Revolutionaries defeat King Louis, then hand France to Napoleon. Nothing can stop his war engine—until you reach the blistering cold of Moscow!

Trail of Tears (American Indians in post-Civil War) The tradition of a thousand tribes is at stake. Your people’s once-rich buffalo fields are gone. Band tribes from all across America to repel the infamous attacks of George Custer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you've already got ideas for additional eras since the Kickstarter preview page lists some bonus decks in stretch goals, including:

- Neanderthal
- Roman
- Renaissance Masters
- Mayans
- Wild West
- Industrial Titans
- World War I
- Capone Era
- Computer Titans

If you ever make additional ones I think some asian cultures would be good to add, for example:

- India, spread of buddhism perhaps?
- Mongol Horde
- China Han dynasty
- Japan Fuedal era
- Japan 20th century or just post-WW2
- China 1970's to present

Other ideas:

- Greece, democracy and the arts (or Alexander the Great)
- Islam's growth 650-
- Polynesian explorations
- England's world-spanning empire
- WW2?
- Russian Empire pre-1900
- Russia 20th century / cold war

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Lykowski
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Some great ideas! There will be a Samurai/Feudal Japan stretch goal that I haven't added yet and will be around the $90,000 mark.

I was playing around with a Muslim deck, and my favorite--a WW2 submarine-themed deck with German u-boats, depth charges, and the capture of the Enigma machine. I could go more traditional and just do WW2 on a global scale, but I'm all about exploring some of the lesser-covered parts of history in this game.

Many have mentioned a Cold-War themed deck. That one would be an absolute blast too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Smith
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coolest Time Period in History? The Ice-Age....(sorry)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Lykowski
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Haha! Well, the Neanderthal deck pits you directly against the "Ice Age"--in fact it's the main conflict card you'll be butting heads against. And it's a tough race--your opponent will have access to Ice Age cards about as easily as you have access to Shelter cards.

That particular era deck is unique in that you want to focus on putting most of you cards into your play pile (rather than conflict or build pile), so you can have access to cheap and tough defenses every single turn.

It's also one of the few decks that focuses heavily on cards that cancel out symbols on your conflict cards (Ice Age, Mastodons, Sabretooths, and Cro-Magnon), rather than contributing positively to your progress. That era is all about survival and hanging on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M N
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mongol empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nico ..
France
villecresnes
france
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scotland war for indepance was interresting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been partial to Hunnish, Mongol and Chinese history of late (as they get so little attention.)

Zulu's time was also interesting/neglected.

Russian Czar or pre-Czar period would be neat.

I openly admit that these are niche interests for many people, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.