Recommend
97 
 Thumb up
 Hide
340 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG.CON

Subject: BGG Con 2014 Hotel employee Q&A thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn Holt

Lewisville
Texas
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy folks! I'm Glenn, your resident Hyatt employee.
I see you guys are already starting to book for this year's con, so I figured I'd hop in here once again to answer your questions and whatnot.

One of the things I've noticed in other threads is that for some of you the hotel is showing "Sold out". I assure you we still have plenty of rooms! If you are getting this message, first double check your dates. If you are trying to come in too early before the con begins, the website will reject you. If you really are wanting to come super early, let me know and I can open things up. If your dates are correct and you are still getting the error, the website can sometimes behave funny when there is heavy traffic. Wait 5-10 minutes and try again. that usually clears it up.

There is no charge for changing dates or names, but there is a CXL fee if you CXL day of arrival or fail to show up. You can CXL 24 hours before your arrival date without any penalties.

This year we are offering comp internet for all attendees. More info on that as we get closer (user:pass, ect).

I'll be hoping into this thread periodically until the Con begins to answer any questions you guys might have, so feel free!

As always I'm excited for the con too, and hope to see you all in November!





  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Lawrence
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
The honey badger is really pretty badass. It has no regard for any other animal whatsoever. Look at him, he's just grunting, and eating snakes. Eew! What's that? A mouse? Oh that's nasty.
badge
But look! The honey badger doesn't care! It's getting stung like a thousand times. It doesn't give a $#%^. It's just hungry. It doesn't care about being stung by bees. Nothing can stop the honey badger when it's hungry. What a crazy @&#%!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HyattGlenn wrote:
Howdy folks! I'm Glenn, your resident Hyatt employee.
I see you guys are already starting to book for this year's con, so I figured I'd hop in here once again to answer your questions and whatnot.

One of the things I've noticed in other threads is that for some of you the hotel is showing "Sold out". I assure you we still have plenty of rooms! If you are getting this message, first double check your dates. If you are trying to come in too early before the con begins, the website will reject you. If you really are wanting to come super early, let me know and I can open things up. If your dates are correct and you are still getting the error, the website can sometimes behave funny when there is heavy traffic. Wait 5-10 minutes and try again. that usually clears it up.

There is no charge for changing dates or names, but there is a CXL fee if you CXL day of arrival or fail to show up. You can CXL 24 hours before your arrival date without any penalties.

This year we are offering comp internet for all attendees. More info on that as we get closer (userass, ect).

I'll be hoping into this thread periodically until the Con begins to answer any questions you guys might have, so feel free!

As always I'm excited for the con too, and hope to see you all in November!







Thanks Glenn!!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Roberts
United States
Murfressboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Glenn,

Question about the "Premium King" upgrade package. I'd imagine these are available on a first come/served basis, so I opted to add it in now (essentially for the minifridge). Can you comment how these get distributed or how many we can realistically expect the hotel to follow through on?

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter,

-C
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maia McGrath
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Hey Glenn!

Thanks for always being so super helpful! It's really appreciated.

We are some of the super early people who will be arriving Saturday before and staying through the 24th. I'd love it if you can open up some king rooms for us.

Thanks!
Maia
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Holt

Lewisville
Texas
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The fridges were a hot button last year, I know. I will be upfront and say these are first come, first serve. They are distributed as follows:

Paid upgrades (premium king, ect) get them first.
Reservations requests are next.
Finally if there are any remaining they are given as people ask for them at the desk.

Last year we borrowed several fridges from the Grand, and this year we are hoping to do that earlier in order to secure as many as possible. But be aware that there just aren't enough for every room.

As for the upgrades you are asking about, we take a look at those about 1 week prior and if it's available we will issue them. If not, your room simply remains a standard room. The hotel will follow through on as many as we have available.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Holt

Lewisville
Texas
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maia_ann wrote:
Hey Glenn!

Thanks for always being so super helpful! It's really appreciated.

We are some of the super early people who will be arriving Saturday before and staying through the 24th. I'd love it if you can open up some king rooms for us.

Thanks!
Maia


No prob, Maia. I opened up a few rooms on those early days for you.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HyattGlenn wrote:
The fridges were a hot button last year, I know. I will be upfront and say these are first come, first serve. They are distributed as follows:


Hi Glenn,

I think it is super what you are doing here in the forums! Thanks for sticking your neck out like this. That said, let me say that I requested my fridge in March of last year and did not get one. I was told I did not request it early enough. I asked other con goers and found several who had a fridge in their room and had made their request much later than I did mine. They did not have a medical need nor did they pay for any upgrades to their rooms.

That said, it's not a big deal if I didn't get a fridge because of some distribution method I do not know about, but I do take exception to being lied to.

I hope the hotel makes it clear to people who do not receive a fridge why it is the case and not make up a reason on the spot just to give a response.

I have made a reservation and once again requested a fridge. I hope I made it early enough this year.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HyattGlenn wrote:
This year we are offering comp internet for all attendees. More info on that as we get closer (userass, ect).


Much appreciated!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Holt

Lewisville
Texas
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
HyattGlenn wrote:
The fridges were a hot button last year, I know. I will be upfront and say these are first come, first serve. They are distributed as follows:


Hi Glenn,

I think it is super what you are doing here in the forums! Thanks for sticking your neck out like this. That said, let me say that I requested my fridge in March of last year and did not get one. I was told I did not request it early enough. I asked other con goers and found several who had a fridge in their room and had made their request much later than I did mine. They did not have a medical need nor did they pay for any upgrades to their rooms.

That said, it's not a big deal if I didn't get a fridge because of some distribution method I do not know about, but I do take exception to being lied to.

I hope the hotel makes it clear to people who do not receive a fridge why it is the case and not make up a reason on the spot just to give a response.

I have made a reservation and once again requested a fridge. I hope I made it early enough this year.


Sorry about that. It's not that you didn't request early enough, rather, we just weren't prepared with enough fridges for the amount of requests. I'll be the first to say it wasn't handled as well as it could have been last year. Heck, they even came and took the fridge out of my office last year!

This year we're hoping to be more organized. As this convention grows, we're wanting to grow along with ya'll and get better every year.
24 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Kapp
United States
Corinth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Glenn, we were interested in booking a 2 bedroom executive suite that the hotel offers. I'm not able to book the suite through the hotel link or the regular website. I called reservations this morning and was quoted a price that is almost twice the normal rate as is quoted on the website. How can I go about booking a 2 bedroom executive suite?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HyattGlenn wrote:
casualgod wrote:
HyattGlenn wrote:
The fridges were a hot button last year, I know. I will be upfront and say these are first come, first serve. They are distributed as follows:


Hi Glenn,

I think it is super what you are doing here in the forums! Thanks for sticking your neck out like this. That said, let me say that I requested my fridge in March of last year and did not get one. I was told I did not request it early enough. I asked other con goers and found several who had a fridge in their room and had made their request much later than I did mine. They did not have a medical need nor did they pay for any upgrades to their rooms.

That said, it's not a big deal if I didn't get a fridge because of some distribution method I do not know about, but I do take exception to being lied to.

I hope the hotel makes it clear to people who do not receive a fridge why it is the case and not make up a reason on the spot just to give a response.

I have made a reservation and once again requested a fridge. I hope I made it early enough this year.


Sorry about that. It's not that you didn't request early enough, rather, we just weren't prepared with enough fridges for the amount of requests. I'll be the first to say it wasn't handled as well as it could have been last year. Heck, they even came and took the fridge out of my office last year!

This year we're hoping to be more organized. As this convention grows, we're wanting to grow along with ya'll and get better every year.


Glenn, I appreciate your postings here. I'd like to second the request that the hotel staff be honest with us about the details of our stay. If a fridge or something else I want is not available, I'd like to know so I can go ahead with a plan "B" rather than wait on something that never shows.

Thanks again for giving us some "inside scoop" and helping to add to our awesome experience of the CON.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HyattGlenn wrote:
The fridges were a hot button last year, I know. I will be upfront and say these are first come, first serve. They are distributed as follows:

Paid upgrades (premium king, ect) get them first.
Reservations requests are next.
Finally if there are any remaining they are given as people ask for them at the desk.

Last year we borrowed several fridges from the Grand, and this year we are hoping to do that earlier in order to secure as many as possible. But be aware that there just aren't enough for every room.

As for the upgrades you are asking about, we take a look at those about 1 week prior and if it's available we will issue them. If not, your room simply remains a standard room. The hotel will follow through on as many as we have available.


I've added a fridge to my reservation and put in for Oversize Double Queen/Executive Suite upgrades; I'm guessing that Diamond/Platinum Hyatt members get upgraded first? I should be Diamond by the Con.
meeple

JAZ
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Salamon
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
When did this overtext thing happen? Am I supposed to think of something clever to put here?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How does one request a fridge during the reservation?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Holt

Lewisville
Texas
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anthonyrk wrote:
Glenn, we were interested in booking a 2 bedroom executive suite that the hotel offers. I'm not able to book the suite through the hotel link or the regular website. I called reservations this morning and was quoted a price that is almost twice the normal rate as is quoted on the website. How can I go about booking a 2 bedroom executive suite?


The number to my office is 972-615-6811. Give me a call and I'll see what I can do. Suites are limited, but we'll talk and see what we can work out!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Holt

Lewisville
Texas
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Julia, you are correct. Diamond members will be the first we look at when determining upgrade availability.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Our experience from two years ago suggests that requesting a fridge at registration (and receiving a confirmation) does not necessarily mean you'll get a fridge.

As you can tell, this is a slightly sensitive topic. I'm glad to hear the Hyatt is aware of the issue, and trying to accommodate.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Holt

Lewisville
Texas
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Salamon wrote:
How does one request a fridge during the reservation?


Looks like you already have it requested!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Holt

Lewisville
Texas
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true, a request is not a guarantee. We do everything we can, but we just don't have 811 fridges.

I used to work for Marriott many years ago, and we had a similar fridge issue there. Our work-around back then was to provide styrofoam coolers when we ran out of fridges. It wasn't ideal, but I guess something is better than nothing. I wonder how ya'll would feel about something like that? I could always bring it up during one of our meetings.

Just a thought.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HyattGlenn wrote:
It's true, a request is not a guarantee. We do everything we can, but we just don't have 811 fridges.

I used to work for Marriott many years ago, and we had a similar fridge issue there. Our work-around back then was to provide styrofoam coolers when we ran out of fridges. It wasn't ideal, but I guess something is better than nothing. I wonder how ya'll would feel about something like that? I could always bring it up during one of our meetings.

Just a thought.


We drove (and will drive again this year) so we had our own cooler. The trouble is you obviously constantly need to re-ice, and over the four days all the food winds up soaking wet. First world problems, I know, but still less than desirable.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HyattGlenn wrote:
It's true, a request is not a guarantee. We do everything we can, but we just don't have 811 fridges.


I'd love to see a system where people with medical needs (insulin, breast milk, etc.) got priority for the fridges.

And I say this as someone who would not qualify for that.
33 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
HyattGlenn wrote:
It's true, a request is not a guarantee. We do everything we can, but we just don't have 811 fridges.

I used to work for Marriott many years ago, and we had a similar fridge issue there. Our work-around back then was to provide styrofoam coolers when we ran out of fridges. It wasn't ideal, but I guess something is better than nothing. I wonder how ya'll would feel about something like that? I could always bring it up during one of our meetings.

Just a thought.


We drove (and will drive again this year) so we had our own cooler. The trouble is you obviously constantly need to re-ice, and over the four days all the food winds up soaking wet. First world problems, I know, but still less than desirable.


I used a cooler last year and put the ice in ziplock bags which reduced the soaking of the food.
13 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
HyattGlenn wrote:
It's true, a request is not a guarantee. We do everything we can, but we just don't have 811 fridges.


I'd love to see a system where people with medical needs (insulin, breast milk, etc.) got priority for the fridges.

And I say this as someone who would not qualify for that.


Here, here!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HyattGlenn wrote:
It's true, a request is not a guarantee. We do everything we can, but we just don't have 811 fridges.

I used to work for Marriott many years ago, and we had a similar fridge issue there. Our work-around back then was to provide styrofoam coolers when we ran out of fridges. It wasn't ideal, but I guess something is better than nothing. I wonder how ya'll would feel about something like that? I could always bring it up during one of our meetings.

Just a thought.


Glenn,

This is actually the thing I say on the Hyatt comment card that I fill in after EVERY one of my stays... the Hyatt SHOULD have fridges in every room. They cost under $100 each, greatly increase guest satisfaction, and reduce the use of environmentally-costly ice. I have to admit, when I waffle on staying at the Hyatt, it's in favor of the higher-end Hiltons that DO have mini-fridges and microwaves with a wet-bar sink in each room. It's a huge convenience to me as someone with a very restrictive special diet (celiac + nut allergies). Going Platinum has made me more loyal, though.
whistle

All that said, I think your hotel has made great efforts to make things comfortable and easy for us at BGG.Con. I really appreciated the second microwave down at Jett's last year; I actually prepared and froze a bunch of food that I could eat, packing it in the suitcase that we used to haul games back to Seattle and storing it in the fridge that my husband needs for his insulin (and I need for my food). I just heated my meals and it all worked out great, even though it was a bit boring to alternate between the same two meals all week. LOL If we'd had a microwave in our room... bliss. And I'd honestly try to figure out a way to spend more money with the hotel since I am pretty close to non-revenue on the food front because of all the gluten in things offered. (I did buy soda and ice cream a few times).

That said, people who can't score fridges would probably really appreciate coolers on site. Anything we can do to NOT have to haul out to Target...
meeple
JAZ
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JuliaZ wrote:
HyattGlenn wrote:
It's true, a request is not a guarantee. We do everything we can, but we just don't have 811 fridges.

I used to work for Marriott many years ago, and we had a similar fridge issue there. Our work-around back then was to provide styrofoam coolers when we ran out of fridges. It wasn't ideal, but I guess something is better than nothing. I wonder how ya'll would feel about something like that? I could always bring it up during one of our meetings.

Just a thought.


Glenn,

This is actually the thing I say on the Hyatt comment card that I fill in after EVERY one of my stays... the Hyatt SHOULD have fridges in every room. They cost under $100 each, greatly increase guest satisfaction, and reduce the use of environmentally-costly ice. I have to admit, when I waffle on staying at the Hyatt, it's in favor of the higher-end Hiltons that DO have mini-fridges and microwaves with a wet-bar sink in each room. It's a huge convenience to me as someone with a very restrictive special diet (celiac + nut allergies). Going Platinum has made me more loyal, though.
whistle

All that said, I think your hotel has made great efforts to make things comfortable and easy for us at BGG.Con. I really appreciated the second microwave down at Jett's last year; I actually prepared and froze a bunch of food that I could eat, packing it in the suitcase that we used to haul games back to Seattle and storing it in the fridge that my husband needs for his insulin (and I need for my food). I just heated my meals and it all worked out great, even though it was a bit boring to alternate between the same two meals all week. LOL If we'd had a microwave in our room... bliss. And I'd honestly try to figure out a way to spend more money with the hotel since I am pretty close to non-revenue on the food front because of all the gluten in things offered. (I did buy soda and ice cream a few times).

That said, people who can't score fridges would probably really appreciate coolers on site. Anything we can do to NOT have to haul out to Target...
meeple
JAZ


In addition to higher-end Hiltons, I have found that many of the Hilton Garden Inns have fridges and microwaves. Not to mention a reasonably priced breakfast buffet.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
Warehouse 13: The Board Game
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of the buffet... I was NOT impressed with the buffet place. Tried them twice, two different meals... ended up with poor service and overpriced, horrible food (undercooked, overcooked, bland, etc). We let the staff know both times, but after the second try, I won't be making that mistake again.

The food downstairs wasn't great, but it was much more reasonably priced.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.