Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: First Oath of the Outcast Preview. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garrett Speager
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I'm sure some people who have the conversion kit won't find this too interesting. But for those of without it, this is certainly fun news!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4678
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The beastman looks rather useful for the OL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're identical to the conversion kit, aren't they?

Odd that they seem to be revamping the heroes but leaving monsters alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norm Al
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the minion Beastman for Act2 has +1 Health
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure they are new stats and sculpts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jadedbacon wrote:
Looks like the minion Beastman for Act2 has +1 Health

Ah, good catch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nicewander
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Changes to Laurel:

1. Picture
2. +2 Stamina
3. Heroic Feat essentially adds a surge to the effect (+10 range instead of ignore range, but pretty close to having the same effect).

Hero Ability is worded slightly different, but has the same effect. Attributes are the same.

Beastman changes:

1. Picture.
2. +1 health for Act II minion.
3. Slight rewording on abilities, but the same outcome.

Frankly, as an owner of the Conversion Kit, I'm not happy that they are revisiting the stats on the Heroes and Monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there are changes made, I am going to be *EXTREMELY* unhappy if they don't give owners of the conversion kit some way to update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
BodhiWolff wrote:
If there are changes made, I am going to be *EXTREMELY* unhappy if they don't give owners of the conversion kit some way to update.

Like what exactly? I don't own the conversion kit but isn't it just a bunch of cards for the 1E heroes and monsters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RiderPestilence wrote:
BodhiWolff wrote:

Like what exactly? I don't own the conversion kit but isn't it just a bunch of cards for the 1E heroes and monsters?

Like including the updated cards in the next expansion or (when the revamping is done) coming out with a 7$ mini deck of cards with the cards changed from Conversion kit to revamp.

Geki
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
BodhiWolff wrote:

A Conversion Kit conversion kit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BodhiWolff wrote:

Problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good gosh, guys. If it's going to be that important to you to play with the slightly tweaked new stats, just make a note of them and play with them as applicable. It's not tough to remember that new Shiver is going to have 10 health instead of 8. There will be any number of sources (like Descent in the Dark, D2eDB) where you'll be able to find and print off perfectly functional substitutes for the updated versions of hero sheets and monster cards if you want them. You can even print off the changed cards that FFG has shown on its own site right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nicewander
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Good gosh, guys. If it's going to be that important to you to play with the slightly tweaked new stats, just make a note of them and play with them as applicable. It's not tough to remember that new Shiver is going to have 10 health instead of 8. There will be any number of sources (like Descent in the Dark, D2eDB) where you'll be able to find and print off perfectly functional substitutes for the updated versions of hero sheets and monster cards if you want them. You can even print off the changed cards that FFG has shown on its own site right now.

Guys? I'm certainly not as "upset" as Bodhi seems to be, I just said I was unhappy they are revisiting the stats on CK content. I'll just take note of the changes, but I think FFG should have put the time in up front to make the CK stats the correct ones, and their changes of stats smells fishy to me, like they are hoping to get some proxyers (new word!) to buy something they just don't need.

Granted, the re-sculpts are already going to sell these kits. By far my main issue is why weren't the stats right in the CK release?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the reason to complain about them tweaking things for the sake of balance. As above, the information will be out there, and the tweaks are minor enough that you wouldn't even have to replace anything. It's like how every time there is a FAQ/errata update, we don't all expect FFG to send us new Rulebooks and Quest Guides. We just look the information up online when it's relevant.

The stats weren't "right" in the original Conversion Kit release because, despite what ever amount of playtesting they did at the time, it has since been two years, with thousands more people playing it than during playtesting. Issues will arise in a game like this that were unforeseen and unknowable, barring any extreme, costly, unreasonable testing process that would mean the game still wouldn't be released today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Speager
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Would I be fairly safe in assuming, that the act 1 versions of the Beastmen would have 4/5 health for minion/master?

I only ask because I kind of compare them to the Volucrix Reaver from LoR, due to them both being able to perform two attack actions. I've always leaned away from the Reavers because 1) they're melee, 2) the minions only have 3 health, and 3) for only having 3 health they only get 4 total figures with four players. It looks like Beastmen have more health and the same amount of figures, so they could be an alternative that can last a little longer in combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The CK's Act I beastmen have 2/5 health, and the Act II ones are 4/6 — I'd be surprised if they fully doubled the Act I minions' health for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh how I've missed the beastmen! A first ed staple.
-ryanjamal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pletcher
msg tools
In FFG's defense, they rushed a lot of stuff out to make the descent1 owners happy and a few of them where not quite up to spec. Now they are slowly and methodically getting them all done correctly.

The question is would you rather not have conversion kit released and then just get then as they did these expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
I've said it before and I'll say it again; the CK was not intended to be a proper, fully playtested and balanced expansion for D2E. It was intended to be a gimmick to hook players who already owned D1E into buying D2E.

The fact that it became fashionable for new players to buy the CK and then either proxy figs or chase down 1E figs online was just cake for FFG. They were never the target audience.

With these new "rehash packs" (as I like to call them), FFG is releasing full and proper D2E expansions for the old 1E figs. Probably because they realized there was actually a market for old figs among new players, and they said "why let eBayers take all that money?" In the process, they are also revising the stats of these figures to hopefully better balanced since this is an official D2E expansion.

As for those of us who already own the CK getting our grubby mitts on the new stats, I agree that it's easy enough to make note of the new stats if they're that important to you. Personally, I'll probably just keep using the old stats because I don't really care that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis West
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CrispyMyth wrote:
Changes to Laurel:

3. Heroic Feat essentially adds a surge to the effect (+10 range instead of ignore range, but pretty close to having the same effect).

I disagree here. The new way this is worded, it also combos with her hero ability, netting her an additional damage as well (if she exceeds the range of the attack which she most likely will.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.