Popular Tags: [View All]
Le Psquadou
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I put a single sheep or any other single animal in a meadow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
aphexboy wrote:
Can I put a single sheep or any other single animal in a meadow?

Not by itself. You can if any of the following are true:

1. There is a stable on the meadow.
2. You have at least one dog on the meadow (this applies only for sheep, not other animals).
3. You convert the meadow to a pasture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's an empty meadow, then no. : )

You need a Stable on meadow to place 1 single farm animal.
Or Sheep (2/3/4...) together with Dog (1/2/3...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jackson
United States
Mather
California
flag msg tools
OK, one time Randy Beaman had to take baths with his brother. So one time his little brother took a potty in the bathtub .....and now Randy Beaman gets to take showers alone. 'K, bye.
badge
One time, OK, see, one time Randy Beaman's little brother ate Pop Rocks and drank a soda at the same time and his head exploded! 'K, bye.
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, no.

Dogs (we call them sheep dogs), allow you to have sheep (and only sheep) in meadows. You may have a number of sheep in a meadow = the number of dogs + 1, i.e. 4 dogs and 5 sheep.

If you have two meadows, you could then spread those dogs around - 2 in each meadow. This allows you to hold 3 sheep in each meadow for a total of 6 rather than the previously mentioned 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Psquadou
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for clarifying

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Sayward
United States
Kenmore
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jjacjackson wrote:
(we call them sheep dogs)

Aha, of course! Using precise words makes everything more clear! (forest, field, meadow, pasture)
I will bring this more precise term to my group tonight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monika Żabicka
Poland
Wodzisław Śl.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jjacjackson wrote:

If you have two meadows, you could then spread those dogs around - 2 in each meadow. This allows you to hold 3 sheep in each meadow for a total of 6 rather than the previously mentioned 5.

well, yesterday we had a little quarrel about this while playing. The rules are written ambiguously. I prefer your interpretation (each meadow space counts separately - so 2 dogs on one space mean 3 sheep, but two dogs on two separate spaces mean 4 sheep). but my friend says that the "dog rule" states that you can generally have on your board one more sheep than there are dogs no matter how you spread them OR at least - he says - meadows are treated as ONE space just like each pasture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Garmon
United States
Panama City
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Veridiana wrote:
jjacjackson wrote:

well, yesterday we had a little quarrel about this while playing. The rules are written ambiguously. I prefer your interpretation (each meadow space counts separately - so 2 dogs on one space mean 3 sheep, but two dogs on two separate spaces mean 4 sheep). but my friend says that the "dog rule" states that you can generally have on your board one more sheep than there are dogs no matter how you spread them OR at least - he says - meadows are treated as ONE space just like each pasture.

On page 20 of the rulebook, there is actually a graphic representation of how dogs/sheep work. It shows dogs on two side by side meadows with sheep, matching correctly to their max capacity (1 dog with 2 sheep then 3 dogs with 4 sheep). Hopefully this clears up any doubts your friend may have beyond he or she reading too much into something that isn't really there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Veridiana wrote:
jjacjackson wrote:

From the image on p.20 the bold is clearly not true. There are one dog and 2 sheep on a meadow - and 3 dogs and 4 sheep in a small pasture. In total 4 dogs looking after 6 sheep - which is only possible because the sheep are placed on two spaces.

The underlined is also not correct, though not quite as directly visible in the rules. On p.20 explaining the dog rule, it starts with stating: Instead of the normal rules for Meadows and Pastures
(with or without Stables)

So stables are ignored. And if one looks at p.6 there is a setup with two nearby meadows - one has a stable and a sheep while the other one has 2 dogs and 3 sheep. Had it been treated as one space, with the stables ignored, it would then have 2 dogs and 4 sheep. Clearly not following the "dog rule", so the two meadows must be treated as seperate spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monika Żabicka
Poland
Wodzisław Śl.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both for your clarifications! :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.