Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just pulled this off the shelf and set out to lead my boys to glory in the full scenario, only to get hammered with a mere 11 points at game end. I'd like to give it another go, but I wanted to ask two questions:

1. Are there updated rules? What's the latest version? All I have is the rules that came with the game.

2. What are the best tips for making the Turn 16 cut? In my game, 29th focused on scrambling up the slopes/bluffs east of Vierville, but I utterly failed to take a single draw. In fact, as long as I've owned the game, I've never cleared a draw. I feel like I'm not getting it somehow. In the east, I knocked out several WNs and snagged three positions deep, but I couldn't destroy the eastern-most WN. Tips?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1) Which version of the game do you have? This one:

Or this one?

The top one is the 1st edition and some rules have been updated/clarified since then. You can find those here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/92709/changes-in-dob-2nd-p...

I also recommend printing out the flipbook (in full color), it's invaluable for playthroughs

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/81680/flipbooks-basic-exte...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) If you own the original printing check here for the changes made in the newest printing.

2) My most successful game so far had a hero led 3 step company and one ranger company up on the westernmost cliffs to take out the WNs and then swing over to secure the draw. On the east I actually managed to use artillery for assaults on the easternmost WNs. The west end of the eastern section seems to need support from both divisions as most units drift east, but the 1st can get their general there (though he doesn't land until turn 11)
The success was mostly due to the fact that I got lucky when crossing the intense fire zones. Disrupting with tanks or naval artillery helps (I got two before turn 5, used both for suppression and promptly regretted it when NA requirements came up...)

EDIT: Ninja'd by Moe45673. The flip book is good advice, though I don't find it as crucial as most posts on the forums make it out to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, gents. I do indeed have the first edition, so I need to get the updated rules. Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't need the flipbook, but the map with the consolidated charts at the bottom is very nice.

As for strategic advice....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Richards
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also pulled this out recently. Was doing pretty good in the East sector, but the West sector just hit catastrophic loss limit before I made the cut. It's a tough game, but that's why it has a lot of longevity as well. Some of my favorite solo games are the ones I lose 90% of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss this game...gotta find some time and energy.

I never punched and clipped my second edition I should start there.

I find the east much easier to get at least one draw than the west. Some luck is definitely needed. I find a good strategy to secure the east more successfully is try the hardest to utilize free actions in any way possible. Including stacking units to activate and do things together for one action. Their downfall in the east is a lack of leadership, gotta make them work together as fast as possible.

The West is just brutal. Climbing those hills is rough and slow. I hate playing the west, usually the guy I used to play with would do it. I don't see him much anymore so I guess I'm stuck with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need some luck in terms of generating Heroes and disrupting German positions with artillery. If that goes your way, you can swarm the East and then actually bring some of the those guys over to help out with the West.

It ain't easy, though, which is why I have a house rule that I can suffer 10 infantry losses in the first half of the game instead of 8. (Second half limits remain in place.) This allows me to reach the second half of the game more often -- and I love how the second half of the game plays out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gatorskin wrote:
...which is why I have a house rule that I can suffer 10 infantry losses in the first half of the game instead of 8. (Second half limits remain in place.) This allows me to reach the second half of the game more often -- and I love how the second half of the game plays out.

That's not a bad idea and lets you get more experience playing the second half. I might try that if needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the draws are smaller than others, so try to get complete control of the easier ones - in the mini half map scenario, you pretty much win by getting either of the two draws, and one of them is much easier than the other. The trick is, you have to start shifting troops over to your chosen target draws shockingly early if that's the path you will take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In the few games I've played, I tend to be more successful in the west, and by game end (i.e., Turn 16), I'm nearly out of troops in the east.

It didn't help that in my last game, 1st Division HQ got whacked. As the game ended, the 1st Division general was still trying to organize some effort to knock out the eastern-most WN.

That said, I still enjoyed the fight. The game system is brilliant. Twice in the game, I had painfully maneuvered the right troops into position to take out a WN...and then German fires killed the mortar crew, damning the attack to failure. Ugh.

It takes a lot of me to watch my soldiers get butchered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised anyone makes any progress in the east sector. The first leader (the general) doesn't impact the game until turn 11. With only two activations a turn, I've just about given up on anything good happening there.

The west seems more like a balanced game. The HQ and Cota shows up with enough time to make an impact before the end of turn 16. Sometimes I get shot up, sometimes I make great progress. It feels balanced.

Screw the east sector though. It's basically draw heroes or do nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FuManchu wrote:
I'm surprised anyone makes any progress in the east sector. The first leader (the general) doesn't impact the game until turn 11. With only two activations a turn, I've just about given up on anything good happening there.
The HQ should show up on turn 8, while that is still later than in the west sector you do get a few more activations out of it.
Generally I try and make sure I have troops in position to assault the eastern draw once the HQ shows up.
Before that doubling up to maximize the actions is key. If you can disrupt a WN you can safely double up beyond 5 steps in front of it and the assault should at least disrupt it again. Two 2 step infantry companies are also safe to stack and if you make sure the equipment differs they can also take down a WN.

I agree that the west with the earlier free actions and rangers has much more actions and feels more interesting for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
The HQ should show up on turn 8, while that is still later than in the west sector you do get a few more activations out of it.
Generally I try and make sure I have troops in position to assault the eastern draw once the HQ shows up.
Before that doubling up to maximize the actions is key. If you can disrupt a WN you can safely double up beyond 5 steps in front of it and the assault should at least disrupt it again. Two 2 step infantry companies are also safe to stack and if you make sure the equipment differs they can also take down a WN.

I agree that the west with the earlier free actions and rangers has much more actions and feels more interesting for it.

I'm going to need a dunce cap if the 1st Division HQ shows up on turn 8. I could swear it has a 16 on it. I'll check it when I get home and report back.

edit: Looking at a counter sheet in the photo section the HQ indeed should arrive on turn 7 and be ready to roll turn 8. Hmm ... I wonder if my HQ somehow didn't get the 7 printed on it and I mistook the 16 on top of the counter for the turn entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FuManchu wrote:
I'm going to need a dunce cap if the 1st Division HQ shows up on turn 8. I could swear it has a 16 on it. I'll check it when I get home and report back.

edit: Looking at a counter sheet in the photo section the HQ indeed should arrive on turn 7 and ready to roll turn 8. Hmm ... I wonder if my HQ somehow didn't get the 7 printed on it and I mistook the 16 on top of the counter for the turn entry.
Looking at my counters again I definitely see how that mistake can be made even if the 7 is printed on there. The white designation draws the eye more than the black turn number, so a quick glance could easily lead to placing it with the other 16 counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like my HQ has a minor printing error. The turn entry number only printed the top of the 7 so it looks like a dash.

I suspect further attempts will produce more competitive results!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.