Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: Game too easy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!
First we love the game a lot! sadly we have not lost a single game playing from 1 to 6 players and we did the first 3 adventures (so 18 scenarios). Does this happen often? hat do people do to make the game harder?
Thanks!
:@)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first 3 adventures (well the second and third) are on the easier side.

That said, a pretty quick and clean way to increase difficulty is to remove cards from the blessings deck.

Give 26-28 cards a try instead of 30 and you should find a bit more tense of a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Check out this game variant.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1101397/comprehensive-ro...

There are some strategies discussed that make the game harder and more thematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will also find that the game has a rather steep difficulty increase once you get the first few scenarios.

In the later adventure packs it gets down right rough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, playing by the rules, I win often but not every single game. I have not yet had a character die in my campaign, though (had a few die while testing them in the first scenario). The deciding factor seems to be coming across the villain unexpectedly and losing, which means potentially losing several cards from the blessings timer in one go.

Aside from the link mentioned above (which is my variant), I would suggest looking at these three:

Improving the game? House Rules
Think the game is too easy/ too hard? Try "Leaky Locations"!
Location Layout Cards for Linear Movement Variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Fly
Germany
flag msg tools
PACG Playmat System with over 500 playmats
badge
Check out my free Premium PACG Playmats
mbmbmbmbmb
grouik wrote:
Hello!
First we love the game a lot! sadly we have not lost a single game playing from 1 to 6 players and we did the first 3 adventures (so 18 scenarios). Does this happen often? hat do people do to make the game harder?
Thanks!

Just wait a little bit until Adventure Deck 7 - the Dragons expansion is released...

Then you will have a huge dragon-related problem to win the game...

Just take a look here ...
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/99521/introduction-of-prem...

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myfly wrote:
grouik wrote:
Hello!
Thanks!

Just wait a little bit until Adventure Deck 7 - the Dragons expansion is released...

Mike
Playmats??? what is the link with Adventure Deck 7?surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balen
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also this is a great variant
Linear Board Revisited

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Fly
Germany
flag msg tools
PACG Playmat System with over 500 playmats
badge
Check out my free Premium PACG Playmats
mbmbmbmbmb
grouik wrote:
Myfly wrote:
grouik wrote:
Hello!
Thanks!

Mike
Playmats??? what is the link with Adventure Deck 7?surprise

Fan-based expansion ... with increased difficulty ... very tough quest... not for kiddies :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Perry
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
grouik wrote:
sadly we have not lost a single game playing from 1 to 6 players and we did the first 3 adventures (so 18 scenarios).

You're either really lucky or doing something really wrong.

Is the timer at least close to running out? I remember seeing something a while back about someone who was only advancing the blessing deck after ALL the players had gone, so each character was getting 30 turns. Things should at least be pretty tense, especially when you're talking about 6 characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of players find the game pretty easy. However, the first thing to check is that you are playing the game right - some players have said the game was too easy only to later reveal that they were plying some of the rules incorrectly (often due to a problem with the blessings rules).

Other than that, there have been quite a few variants posted to increase the difficulty, so I suggest you look through the Variants forum on this site. Common ideas involve reducing the number of blessings in the blessings deck (especially for 4 or fewer players), adding an additional location, and reducing the effectiveness of blessings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SgtGrayMatter wrote:
grouik wrote:
sadly we have not lost a single game playing from 1 to 6 players and we did the first 3 adventures (so 18 scenarios).

You're either really lucky or doing something really wrong.

Is the timer at least close to running out? I remember seeing something a while back about someone who was only advancing the blessing deck after ALL the players had gone, so each character was getting 30 turns. Things should at least be pretty tense, especially when you're talking about 6 characters.
We play correctly on the blessing. On the 18 scenarios only 2 were tense. The game is very easy with 6 players.
We will use the variants for sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.