Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any way to estimate this with some certitude? My question is: A) How popular is Netrunner right now? and B) Is it continuing to increase in popularity? Is the rate of new players the same as it was six months ago? Has it increased? Has it decreased?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt - Conduit23
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how to compare it to other forms of games/entertainment, but it's been near the top of "The Hotness" on BGG for over a year. Still seems to shoot to the top whenever there's a big announcement or big spoiler dump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nordeng
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pirate_chef wrote:
Is there any way to estimate this with some certitude? My question is: A) How popular is Netrunner right now? and B) Is it continuing to increase in popularity? Is the rate of new players the same as it was six months ago? Has it increased? Has it decreased?

You could evaluate the amount of noob questions for that last month compared to 6 months ago.

My guess is it's growing, fast.

Our local meta certainly is, we had about 20 people last night for weekly league night. It's a new record for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I went to the FFG Event Center for their Netrunner Mondays last night and chatted a bit. This was the first ANR Monday I've been to, but apparently they have been getting a good trickle of new players and it seems to be growing steadily.

I foresee the amount of players continuing to increase for a good long while, especially with the second deluxe expansion on its way, which is sure to gather some buzz in the boardgaming community. But, eventually card games plateau as more and more cards are released and the barrier to entry becomes especially daunting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BreadRising wrote:
I went to the FFG Event Center for their Netrunner Mondays last night and chatted a bit. This was the first ANR Monday I've been to, but apparently they have been getting a good trickle of new players and it seems to be growing steadily.

I foresee the amount of players continuing to increase for a good long while, especially with the second deluxe expansion on its way, which is sure to gather some buzz in the boardgaming community. But, eventually card games plateau as more and more cards are released and the barrier to entry becomes especially daunting.

Did you go yesterday? If so, was there a tournament of some type? FFGEC's website seems to indicate there are tournaments the first Monday of every month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Cain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has added about 5-7 players over the past two months (and these are every week with new deck build players, not one-timers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gabel
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Secretly John Masanori
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=Netrunner%2C%20Androi...

Google trends shows us that Netrunner has done nothing but rise in popularity steadily since its release. Not a great metric, but it's something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Amongst BGG forums, this one is is definitely the most vibrant. You can see this in "Game Forums+" box in BGG.
Even right now it highlights 3 posts from this forum in "Active" category, 6 posts in "Hot". No other game has even 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander .
msg tools
Damocles346 wrote:

Google trends shows us that Netrunner has done nothing but rise in popularity steadily since its release. Not a great metric, but it's something.

Look at the regional map by city. I think Kroen is single-handedly affecting his entire region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Keys
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Interrupt.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damocles346 wrote:

Are you watching, FFG? Canada's search volume index for Android: Netrunner is slightly higher than the US! If you ever do something like the Plugged-In tour again, please go to more than just a single city on the other side of the country!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At my FLGS, we continue to add players to the ANR league. The store continues to keep selling Core Sets with regular reorders needed to keep up with demand.

Compare that to last fall when I attempt to get a Warhammer: Invasion play night going at the same store and got almost zero interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BreadRising wrote:

That is a CCG issue not a LCG one. Even now you can easily play A:NR with just Core and have great gaming for a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unmeel Banerjea
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Joelist wrote:
[q="BreadRising"]That is a CCG issue not a LCG one. Even now you can easily play A:NR with just Core and have great gaming for a long time.

You can also do that with CCGs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
Canada has more search volume than USA? wouah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
So, about that google trends thing. Why is Nicosia rated to highly? What's going on in Cyprus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Nords3x4 wrote:
You could evaluate the amount of noob questions for that last month compared to 6 months ago...

That could just as well mean that a more people discovered Boardgamegeek.
Plenty of my gaming friends don't know BGG exists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think to truly gauge how popular Netrunner is, we need to turn to OCTGN data...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This geeklist sheds some light as well:

The top 100 most purchased games (February 2014 edition)

ANR is sitting at #8 for last month. In the top 50 for the last 15 months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
xpiredsodapop wrote:
I think to truly gauge how popular Netrunner is, we need to turn to OCTGN data...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mrspank wrote:
BreadRising wrote:

Did you go yesterday? If so, was there a tournament of some type? FFGEC's website seems to indicate there are tournaments the first Monday of every month.

Yep! Every Monday is Netrunner Monday for some casual play and then every first Monday of the month they do a pretty casual in-store tournament. Like I said, it was my first one, but everyone there says they're getting better and better turn outs. I know I'll definitely try to go as many Mondays as I'm able.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Blumklotz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Locally, A:NR has been doing quite well here in Portland, Oregon. But we have been getting the low hanging fruit (folks that play CCG/LCGs already). I have made a real push to build community resources here over the last year (holding nearly monthly tournaments), providing a one stop community focal point (PDX Netrunner Facebook Group, 130+ members as of today), and working with local store owners to spread the word when someone is buying the game.

This has paid off huge dividends:

1) I am no longer the only TO/organizer in town. Scott is organizing a second tournament nearly every month at different location from mine. Seth is running a weekly League Night at another. John is organizing a Store Championship in Vancouver, WA for the first time and they might start offering tournaments or draft tournaments. This doesn't count all the LCG/ANR weekly meetups.

2) The balance between hard-core tournament players and casual players is pretty good.

3) Seattle and Portland players are starting to travel to each others events (we have cross pollinated our respective FB pages) despite 3+ hour travel times.

4) We now have a local OCTGN group that meets up to test decks with each other.

I think the next step for us is better new player outreach. We need to have folks that are able and willing to run teaching games at our casual events. It is easy at the store I organize out of, they have a demo core set that I can break out.

As for measuring the popularity? Unless FFG releases sales data, that is going to be hard to judge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Freeman
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Heck, Portland does such a good job with Netrunner they got someone from Nor Cal to come 8 hours for a tournament last year .

But it is growing. Even in my tiny, tiny meta we now have gone from three to about eight players. The only card shop in my town which is primarily a magic card shop has given us a little time and if we can pick up one or two new players we might even be hosting our first tournament! The only one in the whole county!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remy Gibson hosts a mini podcast called Board Game Top 10s. It usually airs twice a week with the Wednesday show being a bgg page views top 10. Remy tracks all games that appear on the hotness list.

In the latest ep, ANR was number 1 with 24,000 views over the past week and an 8000 view gap between it and number 2.
According to Remy this is ANR's 8th week in a row at the top. This is the second longest streak at the top of the list ever (well, since he has tracked it) after a streak in 2013 when a game was number 1 for an amazing 37 weeks in a row. That game was... ANR.

Now get this: at the start of the year he did an ep (#157) of top page views on bgg for all of 2013. ANR was first. It had 1.4 million views across the year which was more than double the #2 game and more than #2 and #3 combined!!!

ANR on bgg has had over 2 million page views (look towards the bottom of its page) and this is an immense number. Look at some of your other favourite games to compare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.