Line Dice» Forums » General

Subject: This plastic case cost me $250! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
As the first edition of Line Dice are rapidly selling out, I've begun preparations for the second edition. After much design work, and a healthy chunk of money, I've received the first images of the prototype plastic case and new Line Dice from the Chinese company who helped me make the last ones. I should have this in hand for some serious evaluation soon:

The case itself won't look exactly like that when it's done. That's a prototype, which I believe they 3D printed. The actual case will be injection molded. And the case won't cost you $250, LOL. Once the molding process is underway, it should run about 40 cents a box. I expect the boxes to last about 2 years of regular use and pocket abuse (hey that rhythms!). After that I would expect most people to switch to cloth bag or some other case. Or you could always contact me for a replacement case. Or use just rubber-bands to hold it together! (lol) Really, outside of the hinges, the rest of the box should last for decades.

The big thing with the box is that it will go much nicer on store shelves and create less waste for the landfills.

None of this edition will be numbers or signed. If you want a pack of the first edition, you're running out of time to get one. We only have about 40 left. The first edition should be easily distinguishable from the second, so you'll always know the difference between the two. The lines on the second edition will not extend all the way to the edges, and there will be little "pips" to help mark the bottom of the corners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will B.
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
That case looks awesome. Will it be available for sale sans dice? Also curious what the rationale behind the pips is. If the arrows are already designating piece orientation, what does it matter what the "bottom" is? It seems especially strange considering that the pips aren't all in the same corner on all faces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
agentofdoom wrote:
That case looks awesome. Will it be available for sale sans dice? Also curious what the rationale behind the pips is. If the arrows are already designating piece orientation, what does it matter what the "bottom" is? It seems especially strange considering that the pips aren't all in the same corner on all faces.

I was thinking the dice needed to be visibly different so all of the early adopters version 1 dice would remain unique, but after seeing the production samples, it's pretty clear which is which. The designs on the 2nd edition don't touch the edges like the 1st.

Edit:

Also, you can get the case separately, although I'm still unsure how well it will ship in the mail. If you want to be the first test subject, I can ship you one for the cost of postage (something I also don't know, atm). Hit me up after I finally get them in hand. Some of the first batch should be here around mid-April, if all goes well. Fingers crossed!

Anyone else that's interested, the case will be $1 plus shipping. I think I might offer $1 off if you DON'T want the case. Right now the cases-to-dice set ration is 1 to 1, so hopefully we'll have equal interest in both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will B.
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Quote:
Also, you can get the case separately, althoughI'mstillunsure howwellitwillshipinthe mail.Ifyou want to be the first test subject, I can ship you one for the costofpostage (something I alsodon't know, atm). Hit me up after I finally get theminhand.Some ofthe first batch should behere around mid-April, if all goes well. Fingers crossed!

You got a deal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
Do me a favor and hit me up in 1 month's time, just to make sure I don't forget. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
agentofdoom wrote:
Also curious what the rationale behind the pips is. If the arrows are already designating piece orientation, what does it matter what the "bottom" is? It seems especially strange considering that the pips aren't all in the same corner on all faces.

I agree, I don't like the pips at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
stlm wrote:
agentofdoom wrote:
Also curious what the rationale behind the pips is. If the arrows are already designating piece orientation, what does it matter what the "bottom" is? It seems especially strange considering that the pips aren't all in the same corner on all faces.

I agree, I don't like the pips at all.

Alrighty, noted. Like I said, no more pips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.