Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably in the rules and I apologize if so.

If, on an opponents turn, she moved one of my pieces and in doing so caused a pattern to emerge that matched a card in my hand. Can I, on my next turn, summon that creature?

I believe that I'd have to actually place a token on the summon spot but I seem to see something that said 'all that is required for a summon is the pattern'.

By the same token (pun not intended) I assume chain reaction summons are either possible or not given a ruling on this. In other words, I either need to place a piece to summon, or I simply need to form a pattern.

I know that by watching more vids and giving the rules a more thorough read-though these answers would be clear but sadly I've not had a lot of time these past few days and these questions are eating at me.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To summon something, you need the pattern
It does not matter how this pattern was created
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
When you summon a creature, all the tokens on the card need to be in the spots they're at. How they arrived there doesn't matter at all, and you can use both actions for summons regardless of whether you used an action to place a token before or not.

Summoning itself includes placing a token on the white-bordered square. You can replace a token that already is there (if it's of the same or a lower rank, otherwise the summon is not possible).

Example:

At the end of your turn, you have three of the four pieces required for The Eldest Tree's pattern - two of the heroic ones, and the right-hand one of the common pieces.

On your opponent's turn, he places one of your common pieces in the left-hand spot. You don't have any other pieces (for simplicity's sake), so you have exactly these four pieces in this formation. There's an opponent's heroic piece in the white-bordered square.

This means that you can, in your turn and as an action, play The Eldest Tree and summon a legendary piece in the white-bordered space. You place your legendary piece there and, with that, destroy the heroic enemy piece that was there (this works because it's of the same rank or lower).

If this creates a pattern required for some other card and you still have actions left, you can then indeed summon that other creature. For example, you could summon a Chronicler with the second action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
happycatmachine wrote:
This is probably in the rules and I apologize if so.

If, on an opponents turn, she moved one of my pieces and in doing so caused a pattern to emerge that matched a card in my hand. Can I, on my next turn, summon that creature?

I believe that I'd have to actually place a token on the summon spot but I seem to see something that said 'all that is required for a summon is the pattern'.

By the same token (pun not intended) I assume chain reaction summons are either possible or not given a ruling on this. In other words, I either need to place a piece to summon, or I simply need to form a pattern.

I know that by watching more vids and giving the rules a more thorough read-though these answers would be clear but sadly I've not had a lot of time these past few days and these questions are eating at me.

Thanks

On your turn you get two actions. Each action is either:

1. Placing a common piece anywhere on the board.
2. Playing a card by using pieces that are ALREADY on the board.

You can do each action more than once.

Note that summoning a piece (playing a card) results in a piece being placed on the board; you do not place the piece in order to activate the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for the replies and the thoroughness. Fantastic.

So in theory, while massive chain reactions are possible, playing a card (summoning) does require an action so really only two summons per turn maximum (barring effects that give you more actions).

It's all making sense now.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

Note that summoning a piece (playing a card) results in a piece being placed on the board; you do not place the piece in order to activate the card.

That's a really great distinction, thank you. That is so obvious but in simply reading the rules and thinking about the game without playing it, it is something that can easily be missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
happycatmachine wrote:

So in theory, while massive chain reactions are possible, playing a card (summoning) does require an action so really only two summons per turn maximum (barring effects that give you more actions).

Thanks!

Yes. Barring effects, two summons.

I chained 5 once though.

Swordsmaster > time mage (extra action) > time elemental (extra turn) > assassin > something else (don't remember)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
happycatmachine wrote:

Thanks!

Yes. Barring effects, two summons.

I chained 5 once though.

Swordsmaster > time mage (extra action) > time elemental (extra turn) > assassin > something else (don't remember)

Damn, that sounds amazing. I can't wait to get it to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
I chained 5 once though.

This must be the max, though, right? Since you re-draw at the end of your turn, you're out after you play your three faction and two legendary cards.

Oh, unless there's something with an event lets you draw and gives you another action... wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clevider wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
I chained 5 once though.

This must be the max, though, right? Since you re-draw at the end of your turn, you're out after you play your three faction and two legendary cards.

Oh, unless there's something with an event lets you draw and gives you another action... wow

On a standard turn, two is the max.
If you play time mage you can do three (one extra action).
If you play time Elemental, you get another whole turn after your current turn (so you get to redraw). So chaining with time mage gives you a max of five summons (three actions in the turn you play time mage, and two on the other turn).

You can do a similar thing with the green deck, as the unicorn gives you one extra action, and they also have cards that let you put extra cards into your hand.

With the yellow deck, you can do even more - ritual master gives you two actions if summoned on a red square, giving you a potential of four summons in one turn. If one of those summons is time elemental, you can go to six summons. Add in mountain troll (another extra action), and you can get to seven. Then for fun, add in war summoner to get to eight. Luckily the yellow deck has no way to get extra cards in hand, so in order to chain eight summons, you would need to use time elemental to get the end of turn redraw, otherwise you would cap at five (three of your units, plus two legendary summons).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
On a standard turn, two is the max.
If you play time mage you can do three (one extra action).
If you play time Elemental, you get another whole turn after your current turn (so you get to redraw). So chaining with time mage gives you a max of five summons (three actions in the turn you play time mage, and two on the other turn).

You can also get an extra action with the Imperial school decks if Champion's effect triggers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zdenek
msg tools
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

There is also:
3. Discard 1 being that you drew from your deck. If you do, you may also return one or more of your other cards to the bottoms of their decks. This action can only be used once per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yedd wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

There is also:
3. Discard 1 being that you drew from your deck. If you do, you may also return one or more of your other cards to the bottoms of their decks. This action can only be used once per turn.

Correct.

However, I was trying to explain the interaction between cards and pieces in relation to the question asked. Discarding wasn't relevant to my answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.