Blood Bowl: Living Rulebook» Forums » Variants

Subject: MaliBowl - no more dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Frisch
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Having recently played a little Malifaux I immediately had the idea to transfer the 'controlled luck' mechanic of this good unto a personal favourite of mine; Blood Bowl.

For those of you who do not know Malifaux, instead of using dice, you use a standard deck of cards (and two jokers). Flipping the top card of the deck thus corresponds to rolling a die, except a deck, unlike dice, have memory, in that discarded cards cannot re-appear. Thus some knowledge of the possible future is inherent in the mechanic, whereas my runners in Blood Bowl always run the risk of rolling that critical 1 when 'going for it'.

Instead of reimplementing the entire blood bowl mechanics, let us simply have 6 cards for each of the values 1-6. This trivially replaces the standard D6 used for Blood Bowl. Each of these cards are further mapped to the blocking dice, whose six faces fits unto these 36 cards similarly.

The last die in Blood Bowl, the D8, requires a minor hack to work. Either we could decrease or increase total deck size to find a common denominator between 8 and 6, or we could simply letting some of the cards not depict a direction (thus re-flipping blank direction rolls as required).

Each card now contains:
1) A number between 1 and 6
2) A tackle die symbol
3) (optional) A direction

Whenever we need to roll a die, we simply reveal the top card of the deck and apply the result.

Whenever we are out of cards, we re-shuffle the discard pile to produce a new deck.

In order for the last cards to not be completely predictable, I further suggest removing the top 6 (or something) cards from the deck facedown after each shuffle. This re-introduces a little more luck, but also re-creates the tension currently found in the game.

This is my basic idea. I also have some thoughts on the Jokers and a cheating mechanic akin to Malifaux's, but for now I would love to hear your thoughts on the above.

I have not had the possibility of playtesting this yet, but I was hoping to get some feedback from some of you who, undoubtedly, have played this more than me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Hall

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I first heard about this dice-replacement concept for Settlers of Catan and it sounds like it makes a lot of sense. For BB though, what happens when someone card counts and knows they can't "roll" a 1 (or a skull)? I would just be concerned about adding another layer of probability on an already crunchy game. I like the idea though- be sure to post how it turns out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Frisch
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In Malifaux this is partly handled by having players re-shuffle decks at the start of each turn. I considered this as well, as it would (in the most cases) solve the problem that you mentioned.

However, both teams are able to count all cards, meaning that both teams would know when to play defensively or offensively respectively.

I will report back once I have convinced some friends to try this out with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the same cards for different purposes has one disadvantage:
You could still have bad luck drawing cards for example:
You need a 3+, draw a 2 card with a "Defender Down" Block symbol.
You make a block, draw a 5 card with a "Attacker Down" Symbol.

Your enemy draws the other way around, has 2 succeses while having used up the exact same cards.

Perhaps linking numbers do symbols could help here:
1-Attacker Down
2-Both Down
3-PB
4-PB
5-Defender Stumbles
6-Defender Down

But then again it would be much easier to remember how many good cards you used up already.

I think BB would require different card stacks for different dice.
And also I wonder If the game wouldn't suffer from "average results".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.