34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Where do you get your news? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Stein
msg tools
Following a somewhat bitchy conversation in another thread I was wondering where you go for news/discussion/analysis of current affairs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Multiple sources, but ones that have a degree of editorial oversight are preferred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A range of sources. The Economist, the BBC web site, various NPR programs/sites, AP, and the occasional visit to mainstream sites like CNN. I use Zite on my iPad and it "pushes" stuff towards me that includes places like Salon.com and the occasional Huffpo article. They might get a skim, but I'm usually going to a couple different places if it's a subject that interests me - their coverage is typically horribly slanted/outright opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
here, npr, national tv, local tv, local paper and several internet news aggregators

compare, contrast and look at who has interest in telling me their side
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Social media only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slate.com - It's pretty much opinion, although I value the David Weigel deep-dive coverage of politics and its surface-level coverage of technology/business issues
NPR - very good news
The Economist - deep-dive coverage of world affairs outside the Western echo chamber, as long as I recognize its biases of "socially liberal/econ conservative"

and whatever the International Worker tells me in its very strongly-worded communiques
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Printwise I read the Independant. Online I have a bunch of sites and econ blogs that I alternate between.

But in terms of confessions I am going to admit to a bizarre fascination with redstate.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
Printwise I read the Independant. Online I have a bunch of sites and econ blogs that I alternate between.

But in terms of confessions I am going to admit to a bizarre fascination with redstate.com

Is your life that empty and filled with self-hatred and nihilism, Dan? I mean, if you want to see feces-throwing howler monkeys, there's always the zoo, or RSP...

Oh, wait. Dammit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
myopia wrote:

More confirmation of the Tripp Postulate.

The best "news" is always going to be delivered via a news aggregate like Google or Yahoo. Google now allows you to customize your feed so Libatards can dial up the Fox News and Redstate (one I've honestly never visited) as well as any other things like Drudge or Breitbart they need to see in order to maintain a continual false state of feeling superior.

I tune my Google feed to more sciency and medical and way less political. That ends up meaning I get a fair amount of Huff Post plenty of NG, Discover, BBC, etc. and almost nothing from Slate, The Economist or Fox. CNN pokes it's head in frequently though.

FaceBook is a good source of links despite the inherently evil nature of the site. I had hoped G+ would be the better FaceBook and maybe it will once we all understand what total fucking tools we are for being on FB to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RSP, The Economist, CNN, The Daily Show, ESPN, Google search results.

I'm willing to shop at Walmart and drink Starbucks so I don't feel the need to (pretend to) consume from a bunch of highbrow or hipster news sources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kissa
United States
flag msg tools
La vie est un jeu
badge
Panem et Circenses
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
... they need to see in order to maintain a continual false state of feeling superior.
pfff, says you. My feeling of superiority is genuinely superior. I've got the certificate to prove it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
World News: BBC World Service podcasts and their program on PBS, the dead tree version of the WSJ (I really miss the Financial Times, but it's $400/year and I can get the WSJ using airmiles), The Week, The Economist. Thinking of subscribing to the Christian Science Monitor again.

Economic News: The Economist, economic blogs.

Political news: Blogs, satirical TV shows. Used to watch MSNBC but can't stand it now. Monthly political magazines, the London Review of Books and the New York Review of Books.

Local News: Occasionally visit the local newspaper site, otherwise don't pay much attention to local news below the state level.

F***ing hate social media, so none from FB or Twitter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Is there such a thing as having a double false feeling of superiority?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly here in RSP, NPR, TV but by accident while channel surfing, my lady friend who calls me and asks me what I think about stuff so I have to find out about it to be conversant, the street (where I learned about sex years ago). My home page has been Yahoo for years but I've noticed less news for a quite awhile. I just haven't overcome the inertia to make a change.

I get my weather from the guy in the next room. He goes to a local TV station website and prints out the 7 day forecast 2 or 3 times a day, trims it down to a pocket sized piece of paper and puts it in his shirt pocket. (Yes, he claims to have OCDC.) I think the climate is changing too fast for him. Twice this winter, towards the end of the day, I've heard him cussing. "GODDAMIT! They changed the forecast. AGAIN!"

"What?"

"They changed the low from 16 down to 12 on Wedneday!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Radford
United Kingdom
Lydney
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
Sixes again!
badge
A mighty fish-god am I.
mbmbmbmbmb
BBC Radio 4, The FT, Private Eye, Doctor Who Magazine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone even need anything more than the graph on the front page of USAToday?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
daily newspaper: taz (German) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Tageszeitung
monthly on paper: LE MONDE diplomatique (German ed.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Monde_diplomatique

two German blogs
Nachdenkseiten http://www.nachdenkseiten.de/
Telepolis http://www.heise.de/tp/

TYT on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/TheYoungTurks

and RSP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NPR and RSP.

Google searches to flesh out topics of interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europae vincendarum
United States
Bama by way of San Diego
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Economist, BBC World news, NPR, Fox news and Al Jazeera. I'll also sometimes read Pravda, put mostly for a laugh. And The Daily Show sometimes points me towards things that I might have missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
Google searches to flesh out topics of interest.

Nudge nudge. Wink wink. Say no more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Local: Austin Statesmen, The Chronicle

Paper: USA Today(shut it!), NYT and Variety on occasion.

Glossy: Time, Newsweek, Fastcompany, Bloomberg business week

Radio: NPR

Internet: r/worldnews and r/news, and Yahoo front page stuff.

TV: CBS Sunday Morning followed by Face the Nation. Local NBC affiliate, and NBC Nightly.

Blogs: None.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
RSP, forwarded emails from my dad, various Tea Party groups on Facebook, Sarah Palin, Ron Paul's newsletter (the old ones are the best.)

You fucking Libtard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Respectfully submitted as the RSP Flag. Suitable for either side of any issue involving tardisms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:

Respectfully submitted as the RSP Flag. Suitable for either side of any issue involving tardisms.

You mean like Dr. Who?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr. Who? I don't get it. No need to explain though. If we spend too much time on pop culture, we'll get this thread kicked up to Chit Chat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.