Popular Tags: [View All]
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried Googling around for this but I can't seem to figure it out. I'm currently interested in a Kickstarter that has minis and describes them as 25 mm scale. From what I understand, that means that a 5'8" human figure would measure ~25 mm tall. My confusion stems from some miniatures I currently have.

My Space Hulk 3rd Ed minis are also described as 25mm scale, as are Reaper Bones. When I hold up a Space Hulk Marine next to one of the Iconic Hero Reaper minis, the Reaper mini is smaller and harder to paint even accounting for the difference between a sorceress and a space marine. Either way, neither of them measure 25mm when stood up next to a ruler. Can anyone give me guidance? The mini design is a big part of my interest in this Kickstarter and I don't want to end up with minis that are Mice & Mystic sized vs Space Hulk because I don't understand the scale.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"25 mm" covers a lot of ground. Many companies have slight variations in sculpting, so stuff from one company may be a different size. IIRC, Games Workshop stuff is slightly larger, 30 mm I believe. Some even do 28 mm. They should all work relatively well together, as long as slight differences in scale like that don't make you too OCD

-Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
It is tradition in modelling (according to some!) to measure the scale from foot to eye level. So, it would be 25 mm to the eye. This is because they could have helmets or other weird head pieces that make it harder to measure. Therefore 2 models at a 25 mm scale can be entirely different heights. Try measuring them to the models eye or forehead and see if they measure 25 mm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much the above, another issue is that different companies have habit of measuring the "scale" form different places.

From
Bottom of base
Top of base
Top of shoe
To
Eye level
Bottom of hat
Top of hat (ohh yes, some have on the past, and this produces some very odd figures).

"scale" is a bit of a joke really, but (with one or two exception) before 1980 25mm meant (about) 25mm after 1985 it meant 28mm. Nowadays it means up to 32mm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Maunder
Wales
Newcastle Emlyn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This link might help you understand scaling for miniatures:

http://theminiaturespage.com/lib/def.mv?id=scale

You also have to take into account proportions which can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. You generally have "Heroic" scale figures which have bigger heads, hands and weapons and "True" scale which have more natural proportions and so would most likely appear smaller next to another mini of the same height.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Marines are supposed to be about 8 feet tall, so they are going to be a bit bigger than a human woman by quite a lot. GW models are generally 28mm, but they run a little big even for that now. I've never compared the Space Hulk miniatures to the 40k ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Space marines are "Heroic Scale".

Not kidding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have already said, there's true 28mm in which everything is more or less proportionate to everything else (think LoTR, Infinity). Then there's Heroic scale 28mm, where heads, muscles, hands, and weapons are generally much bigger than they should be (40K, WHFB, and some PP). Here's a blog that shows the difference.

http://sdtaylor.wordpress.com/2011/12/06/heroic-v-true/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thank you everybody! This was super helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.