Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth ...
United States
Augusta
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone!

I take no credit for this idea. It's quite probable that this has been previously suggested, and since I check these forums every now and then, very possible that I read this idea or something similar and have seen forgotten.

That being said, me and a friend came up with this two player Coup variant. Here's how it works:

1. Each person controls two separate players (I called them Agents). Each with two starting coins and the usual two starting cards.

2. One player goes first with one Agent, then the other player goes with one Agent. Then the first player goes again with his/her other Agent, then the second player with his/her second Agent. So in other words, if we have players A and B, the turn order goes: A1, B1, A2, B2. This ensures that we have more reactive and interactive gameplay, since players can respond based on the opponent's last action.

3. When a player loses an Agent, they do not lose out on turns. So if B loses B2, the turn order is now A1, B1, A2, B1, A1, etc. This provides some comeback potential, while maintaining the reactive and interactive play. It also creates more strategic decisions ie: do I take out the stronger Agent and leave my opponent with taking turns with the weaker one? Or do I balance my kills among each of his/her Agents?

4. You can steal from yourself with the Captain, which is useful more than you might think. The opponent, however, can call a blocker (we also play with non-specified blocking roles, also) with either of his/her Agents. However, in order to make the Captain useful, when A1 steals from B1, player B cannot block with a Captain/Ambassador from B2.

5. We haven't played this way yet, but I imagine it would be a good buff to the Ambassador if you could switch cards with either of your Agents (you still have to call Ambassador on one Agent and that Agent's turn, of course).

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Pacheco
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. I will try this. The normal rules for Coup with 2 players work well too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth ...
United States
Augusta
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, I haven't tried just the normal rules. I think it would be a bit quick though, and a bit more luck based. And also, with only four cards out, I'd suggest having like two revealed off the top at the start of the game (so six cards out, just as with three people).

This version seems to add more considerations and such, though. Thanks though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are rules for two player in the French version!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Vedder
Germany
Emmerich am Rhein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you mind posting them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Vedder
Germany
Emmerich am Rhein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I just found the rules: http://ferti.free.fr/games/complots/complots-rulesF.pdf

my French is far away from being perfect, but I am confident this is what it says for 2 player:

- The starting player gets one coin instead of two
- Make 3 piles of cards with each one containing all 5 characters
- Each player takes one pile of cards
- Each player is then dealt randomly one card of the 3rd pile of cards. The remaining 3 cards build the court (face down)
- After seeing which card he received randomly each player choses one additional card from his deck. The remaining 4 cards are discarded
- That way each player gets 2 cards. One random card and one (s)he chose
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D_u_d_e_ wrote:
Ok, I just found the rules: http://ferti.free.fr/games/complots/complots-rulesF.pdf

my French is far away from being perfect, but I am confident this is what it says for 2 player:

- The starting player gets one coin instead of two
- Make 3 piles of cards with each one containing all 5 characters
- Each player takes one pile of cards
- Each player is then dealt randomly one card of the 3rd pile of cards. The remaining 3 cards build the court (face down)
- After seeing which card he received randomly each player choses one additional card from his deck. The remaining 4 cards are discarded
- That way each player gets 2 cards. One random card and one (s)he chose

My sister makes a living translating French to English and that is what I remember of her explanation of it. Don't have the rules in front of me but was there not something about no ambassadors in the random deal or similar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Vedder
Germany
Emmerich am Rhein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSpy wrote:

My sister makes a living translating French to English and that is what I remember of her explanation of it. Don't have the rules in front of me but was there not something about no ambassadors in the random deal or similar?

Hmmm, couldn't find anything like that. Not sure if that would make sense, either!? It says one card is randomly dealt to each player and the remaining 3 cards form the deck. If you would exclude, e.g. the ambassador from being dealt randomly and one player uses (having it or not) the ambassador to take 2 cards from the deck, there is quite a chance you would know EXACTLY which card the other player received randomly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.