Subject: Question on completing quests. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erick Ung
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Hey guys,

I've been looking around without finding any clear answer. I was wondering when is the proper time to progress to the next stage during a quest?

Is the quest immediately complete as soon as there's enough progress tokens and cleared of all restrictions? Or you can decide when to move on?

I was wondering because for example I complete Quest A and Quest 2B says "Add One Troll Hill into the staging are", but I'm not ready for it. Can I stall one more round to get ready and decide to move on or do I have to automatically move on?

Thank you!
Erick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do it automatically and immediately as soon as you satisfy the conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook Page 22 wrote:
Players immediately advance to the next stage of a
quest as soon as they place a number of progress tokens
equal to or greater than the number of quest points
the current quest card has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From p. 22 of the rules:

"Players immediately advance to the next stage of a
the current quest card has."

So you have to advance right away. As with your example, it can be very important in some scenarios to properly time your completion of a quest stage.

Edit: OK, I was a bit slow in typing my response... sorry for the redundancy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well the 'A' side is just the set-up. So you set up the game like so in this case:

Side A: Setup: Each player reveals 1 card from the top of the encounter deck, and adds it to the staging area.
Side B: When Revealed: Search the encounter deck for 1 Hill Troll (if one is not already in play), and place it in the staging area. Shuffle the encounter deck.
Players cannot defeat this stage while any Hill Troll cards are in play.

so, add a card to the staging area for each player, resolve any effects that are revealed (like a surge or doomed keyword).
OFFCIAL FAQ (1.01) (1.01) Encounter Keywords
Surge, Doomed, and Guarded keywords should be
resolved any time the card on which they occur is
revealed from the encounter deck, including during
setup.

Then flip the card over, there is no progress tokens placed on Side A of any quest...ever. This is because there is no Quest Points listed on it. here is the text from the rule book:
After reading and following any instructions on Side A, players flip
the card to Side B. Side B contains the information necessary to move to the next stage of the quest.

and here:

Follow Scenario Setup Instruction
The back of the first quest card sometimes provides setup instructions for a scenario. Follow these instructions before flipping the quest card.
Players then begin the game starting with the first game round.

So you flip it over and OH NO! A hill troll is nearby threatening you from the staging area. But he only attacks you on the very first turn if your threat is 30 or more.

(from rules)Similarly, enemies in
the staging area are not yet engaged with any of the
players. Enemies engage players when a player’s threat
level is high enough to draw out that enemy. Players
also have the option to voluntarily engage enemies
during the encounter phase.

so...you for some reason thought that side A needs quest tokens. what you can do in this situation is just make sure your threat stays below 30 until you are ready to engage the troll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougtempel wrote:
From p. 22 of the rules:

"Players immediately advance to the next stage of a
the current quest card has."

So you have to advance right away. As with your example, it can be very important in some scenarios to properly time your completion of a quest stage.

Edit: OK, I was a bit slow in typing my response... sorry for the redundancy.

but you also have to satisfy any other conditions...like claiming an objective, which you can delay as long as you wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
This can be very strange when for example, Legolas causes the last progress token to go on a quest in the middle of the Attack phase of combat... Interrupt combat, to go to the next stage of the quest, which can involve adding/finding cards, reshuffling decks, etc.

Then you're like "where was I?" and have to finish your attack phase and the rest of the round, etc... Just remember that the whole process "happens instantaneously" and leaves you right where you were, so continue the turn as you normally would.

Also possibly redundant, but something I found confusing when I was new to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reitoei wrote:
This can be very strange when for example, Legolas causes the last progress token to go on a quest in the middle of the Attack phase of combat... Interrupt combat, to go to the next stage of the quest, which can involve adding/finding cards, reshuffling decks, etc.

Then you're like "where was I?" and have to finish your attack phase and the rest of the round, etc... Just remember that the whole process "happens instantaneously" and leaves you right where you were, so continue the turn as you normally would.

great example! and yes...confused the heck outta me once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reitoei wrote:

I was going to post a new thread, but figured you guys are kinda talking about this...

Do you know, or anyone know, if you are in the middle of staging (and revealing card x of y but not the last)... and some effect causes you to pass to the next stage -- I know you must not interrupt the round sequence, but actually, do you continue staging? Or do you end the quest phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
Continue the Staging step... If you're supposed to stage two encounter cards and the first one causes you somehow to meet ALL requirements for proceeding to the next quest phase, you proceed to the next quest phase, do everything on the quest card, and whenever you're done resolving all that hoohah, THEN you go back and stage the second encounter card for the Questing phase you interrupted.*

I've never had that happen, Legolas was the "weirdest" edge case I could come up with off the top of my head, but if that happened, it would be even weirder. But that's how I'd play it.

Good luck!

*Edit: Whatever Threat now exists in the Staging area would now be compared to whatever Willpower remains on characters you committed to the Quest, and if you succeeded, the difference applied to the new Quest card (or active location if there is one). Just to clarify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do agree that's the strict interpretation, but in some cases it's borderline bonkers (in some of the quests where you are staging a huge # of cards that are being dealt with in a very special way, and then the next stage stops letting you do that... *cof* riddles...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.