mbmbmbmbmb
Le Havre
Dominant Species
Dungeon Lords (and/or Dungeon Petz)
Manhattan Project
Space Alert
Twilight Imperium
EDITED ADDITION: Trieste

All games within top 200, but is there too much overlap of worker placement between the first 4 games? I don't get euros out that often anymore, starting to feel to samey and easy to convince friends to play ameritrash/theme heavy games. Dungeon Lords does appeal to me though, and I've personally enjoyed Vlaada's other puzzle oriented games (and its top 100). Both Dungeon Lords and Petz seems redundant though?

I rarely get super long games going anymore, and generally 3-4 players, so I'm pretty hesitant on Twilight Imperium. Space Alert I don't know much about but I already like the premise of real time/audio gameplay.

My top 10 games:
#1: Mage Knight Board Game
#2: Mage Wars
#3: Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization
#4: Battlestar Galactica
#5: Cosmic Encounter
#6: Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island
#7: Mansions of Madness
#8: Caverna: The Cave Farmers
#9: Ra
#10: Dixit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK

Buy them and Mr knuckles come round and says hello to your kneecaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well don't get Twilight Imperium if you don't like long games! I'm not the biggest fan of Space Alert... it's more an experience than a game in my opinion. But the rest of 'em I can't really talk you out of... I like and own all of the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Mapp
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry mate, I could never talk someone out of buying Dominant Species...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob P
msg tools
Dominant Species does not feel like a typical worker placement euro. So if you are looking for a euro that isn't "samey" I would suggest this. I actually can't think of any game to even compare it with, it feels pretty unique. The theme is definitely there as well, animals adapting and duking it out with each other to survive. Games can run several hours long, but if you can put up with a game of Mage Knight (which is a great game, but a bit too long for my tastes) then the length of this one shouldn't be too much of an issue.
And Le Havre is barely a worker placement game, and significantly different than Dominant Species, so if you are looking at getting that as well there is essentially no overlap between the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Harve , although I havent played Caverna, I know Agricola very well. I like Le Harve but I dont think your Amertrash friends are going to get a wildly different Euro experience from playing that vs Caverna I would imagine (do actions - build up your engine- get vps). Yes they are very different games and pure eurogamers may want to own both.CAsual eurogamers less so.

I really like Dominant species, it has a more confrontational feel than other Euro's (you can attack/shaft each other). Enough theme and confrontation for the Ameritrashers perhaps but enough for the cerbral europlayer as well. It may appear little dry and fiddly but is a great 'heavy' euro .

Dungeon Lords/Dungeon Pets are very different games although set in the same universe. Dungeon Pets may be a better game but Dungeon Lords is the better theme IMHO.

The others I havent played enough/at all to comment. RE TI If want that Space Opera Hybrid at 45min-1 hour / player surely Eclipse is the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Lords and Dungeon Petz are different enough to have both. Even if you're worried about overdoing the worker placement, they feel pretty different-- in Lords, you're blind-selecting WHAT you send workers to do. In Petz, you're blind-selecting the ORDER you'll pick in. (Or rather, you're blindly dividing your imps into bid groups; placement order is determined by group size).

All that said, I think Dungeon Lords is a little more soul-draining. It's clearly a good game, but it feels like more of a mental commitment. Dungeon Petz is heavy and puzzly but the agony-to-excitement ratio is more perfect.

Space Alert is a little rough with 3, but amazing with 4 and ideal with 5. If you love Vlaada's style and are looking for shorter games, you have to get it.

If Euros feel samey and your friends are more excited about Ameritrash themes, hold off on Le Havre. It's got, you know, buildings and cubes and

snoresnoresnore

Sorry, I just fell asleep and dreamed I was a coin being exchanged for goods at a slightly advantageous rate. It's the most fun a coin can have! What was I saying again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Lords is a blast! Not too long, and it seems even quicker than that. My daughter requests it every time she comes to my gaming group.

So... Don't buy all the other ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Fatesadvent wrote:
easy to convince friends to play ameritrash/theme heavy games...I've personally enjoyed Vlaada's other puzzle oriented games...Space Alert...but I already like the premise of real time/audio gameplay.

It seems to me that you already know what to get!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like long games (4+ hours? no problem, lets keep going), but it's just hard to get people to do it as well. I've been convinced again to buy both Dungeon Lords and Petz.

So all in all, this thread did the OPPOSITE of what I wanted lol. Oh well, its just another $80+ (expansion/tax/shipping).

Maybe I can hold off on Twilight Imperium then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend trying games before buying them whenever possible. It shouldn't be much of a problem getting any of the games in your post played in Toronto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Here we go:

Le Havre - no on knows how to pronounce this game so you'll always be embarrassed to suggest it and it will never get played. Even the people like it won't know they like it because they are too afraid to be ridiculed when they say it.

Dominant Species - I'm all about fantasy settings and all that jazzl; but come on, you expect me to believe that thousands of years ago giant birds lived on this planet? How did they fit into the starbuckses?

Dungeon Lords (and/or Dungeon Petz) - This game is bad. But like Micheal Jackson bad. Like when he did the whole baby from a balcony bad. This game should be played every single day! Just not on any planet I'm on. To conclude: meh.

Manhattan Project - In this game you can literally do anything. Your pawns can transform into cars and other pawns can ride inside them. And go on freeways and race eachother. Then I realized this game doesn't have any of the things I just mentioned and so don't get this one.

Space Alert - This one is good. But 3 words: Its not perfect.

Twilight Imperium - When the Soviets win, we all lose. Stay away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
I refuse to take part in a discussion which aims to prevent someone from acquiring Dominant Species.

...I mean, except for this post.

(Seriously: Get Dominant Species. Absolutely brilliant game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I'd say that you shouldn't get the last 4 in your list... but the first two... fantastic! Yes, they're both worker placement but no... no overlap in the least! Both great games.

Play Le Havre with 3 or less and Dominant Species with 4 or more. Problem solved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your preference for Ameritrash/Thematic, 3-4 players, and no super long games, I'd go with Dungeon Lords and/or Petz, Space Alert, and maybe Manhattan Project.

Dominant species can be pretty long and hard to get to the table. You also don't have much area control in your top 10, so probably not up your alley. Felt more like a euro than Ameritrash to me.

TI3 is going to be too long.

The Vlaada games all work well with 3-4 (Space Alert is so-so with 3) and seem to fit your preferences. Dungeon Lords/Petz are both kind of worker placement, but very different from your standard euro worker placement.

Manhattan Project is the one I'm not sure about. The theme is nice, the components are good, and the mechanics are somewhat unique, but it kind of felt like "another worker placement" game to me. Try before you buy, if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
DrDevidents wrote:
Sorry mate, I could never talk someone out of buying Dominant Species...

I could. Dude, don't pick up Dominant Species. It's too big for the kind of gaming you're looking for and not comfortable in its own skin.

Jensen's masterpiece is Combat Commander, a much better game.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Jensen's masterpiece is Combat Commander...

I agree with this. Combat Commander is phenomenal. However, it is also wholly different than anything the OP is seeking, and it can make even DomSpec (our abbreviated form of Dominant Species) seem simple by comparison.

DomSpec is a great game. It is a brutal (read: intense!) 2-player experience that mellows out progressively with increased player counts. If it has a failing in terms of the OP's criteria, it is that it can be a lengthy commitment. You can wrap up a game in 2-3 hours, but the depth of the decisions and the tendency to try to pre-plan optimal plays generally makes the games last much longer (3-4 hours average).

[Edit: Ok, so I lied. I guess I do intend to take part in this discussion after all]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have 78 games and 35 expansions. You don't need to buy any more. (Yeah, pretty lame but I got nothin'. shake)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to tell you not to buy DS or Dungeon petz. Neither is like a normal euro really. If you dont get to play long games though they may never see the table...Buy them anyway just in case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
honeybunnie8 wrote:
It's hard to tell you not to buy DS or Dungeon petz. Neither is like a normal euro really. If you dont get to play long games though they may never see the table...Buy them anyway just in case.

Just in case...always be prepared! Well consensus is Dominant Species is awesome so I'll get that one for sure. I'll wait for awhile and see if I still feel like buying after. I want to get Level 7 Omega Protocol too, but I already have Descent and haven't even fully played it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Marshall
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
I don't think you could pay me to play twilight imperium again. I don't mind the game length, but there were two big problems.

Keeping track of all your tech gets tough. Very easy to forget something and end up losing a fight instead of winning.

The game is designed for people who get stiffys anytime they can qoute obscure rules. Want to retreat during a fight? Oh, sorry you can't unless you made sure to activate a nearby system before the fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Twilight Imperium - When the Soviets win, we all lose. Stay away.

Um...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding a new game to the list: Trieste

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gorz
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fatesadvent wrote:

Now you are just being counterproductive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ag83az wrote:
Fatesadvent wrote:

Now you are just being counterproductive!

I know...I think I need an intervention cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.