Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides the theme are these games similar? To me the way the card abilities and success checks work it appears to have lots of similarities as well as the win conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While both games share some mechanics (push your luck, rolling dice to get X successes), to me they felt very different.

The phase of PvD where players search for landmarks can really drag, as each player has a lot to do on their turn, and you can spend a lot of turns trying to find your two landmarks. While FANG is a long game, it doesn't seem to drag, as all players are involved in all turn phases.

In PvD there's a lot more playing cards on your opponents to hinder them. In FANG, most of what you face is determined by random card draws (with the exception of the occasional Event card played on you by another player).

PvD allows players to directly attack each other, while FANG does not.

To me, FANG is more fun. PvD is not a bad game, but the slow pace of the landmark phase coupled with the more direct player interaction made it miss with most people I played it with. I sold my copy of PvD after three plays, while FANG will remain in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
While both games share some mechanics (push your luck, rolling dice to get X successes), to me they felt very different.

The phase of PvD where players search for landmarks can really drag, as each player has a lot to do on their turn, and you can spend a lot of turns trying to find your two landmarks. While FANG is a long game, it doesn't seem to drag, as all players are involved in all turn phases.

In PvD there's a lot more playing cards on your opponents to hinder them. In FANG, most of what you face is determined by random card draws (with the exception of the occasional Event card played on you by another player).

PvD allows players to directly attack each other, while FANG does not.

To me, FANG is more fun. PvD is not a bad game, but the slow pace of the landmark phase coupled with the more direct player interaction made it miss with most people I played it with. I sold my copy of PvD after three plays, while FANG will remain in my collection.

I accidentally got stuck with a copy from the current math trade. We mainly play fang co-op with two playes, does PvD play any faster with two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

It plays much faster with two players. Additionally, if players do not choose to attack each other (as it is a choice) or attack only at critical times, and they use cards mostly for their helpful abilities as opposed to using them as harder encounters for opponents, the game plays much quicker. Regardless, with 2 players the game will advance faster.

When I play I usually play with 3 - 4 players, and my friends are less attack oriented, so the games usually last not more than 60 minutes. However, I have played with bloodthirsty pirated as agree that the exploration period can last too long, especially with 4or more players. However, I tend to point out that constant warfare is not a winning strategy and I have yet to ever see it win a game.

Thanks for your interest - even if it is only because you got stuck with a copy in a math trade.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Launius wrote:

It plays much faster with two players. Additionally, if players do not choose to attack each other (as it is a choice) or attack only at critical times, and they use cards mostly for their helpful abilities as opposed to using them as harder encounters for opponents, the game plays much quicker. Regardless, with 2 players the game will advance faster.

When I play I usually play with 3 - 4 players, and my friends are less attack oriented, so the games usually last not more than 60 minutes. However, I have played with bloodthirsty pirated as agree that the exploration period can last too long, especially with 4or more players. However, I tend to point out that constant warfare is not a winning strategy and I have yet to ever see it win a game.

Thanks for your interest - even if it is only because you got stuck with a copy in a math trade.

Richard

Thanks for the reply Richard, I love your other designs and recently purchased Run Fight or Die. I just have too many games so I try not to keep those that are similar in certain ways and I have plenty of push your luck type games at the moment. Do you have any more plans for this title such as expansions or expanding the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy Pirates vs. Dinosaurs. It does feel kind of samey if you play it multiple times back to back, but if you get it to the table only now and then, it's always a very solid experience. My wife and I play it 2p fairly often.

I haven't played Fortune and Glory, but after watching an episode on Tabletop, it just looked like a total dice fest. Maybe I'm wrong, but I like that there are more decisions to be made with PvD.

The landmark phase is actually my favorite part of the game, but I haven't played it with more than 4, so I don't know if it drags beyond that number. Really though, all you do during that phase is draw cards, play cards, and roll some dice. If players know what they're doing, I don't see a turn taking more than a minute.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with it. I prefer it to other pirate games like Merchants and Marauders.

Also, there is an expansion for the game currently available through the BGG store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dietz
United States
Sigel
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree a little with Richard. I don't feel like the attacking makes the game significantly longer. I think the game gets long with 'analysis paraylsis'.

If players look for the optimal use of each card, considering all cards out there and their alternatives, then apply probability to figure the most likely spot for their landmark--yup, the game will drag, even with two players.

I think it goes much faster when you take a more pirate-y devil-may-care attitude, and simply play.

But--I feel that way with most non-wargames.

newkillerstar27 wrote:
I really enjoy Pirates vs. Dinosaurs. It does feel kind of samey if you play it multiple times back to back, but if you get it to the table only now and then, it's always a very solid experience. My wife and I play it 2p fairly often.

I haven't played Fortune and Glory, but after watching an episode on Tabletop, it just looked like a total dice fest. Maybe I'm wrong, but I like that there are more decisions to be made with PvD.

The landmark phase is actually my favorite part of the game, but I haven't played it with more than 4, so I don't know if it drags beyond that number. Really though, all you do during that phase is draw cards, play cards, and roll some dice. If players know what they're doing, I don't see a turn taking more than a minute.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with it. I prefer it to other pirate games like Merchants and Marauders.

Also, there is an expansion for the game currently available through the BGG store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.