13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Solo game: Elder Sign, Roll through the ages, ... ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K L
msg tools
Hi there,

Can you recommend Elder Sign as a solo game? What about Roll through the ages? Can it be played solitaire? Are there any further games like this.. ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I like elder sign over rtta for solo play. I think the theme helps elder sign to make the experience better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are two solo games that are way better for solo (mainly because they are made for solo):

Friday
Zulus on the Ramparts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Eichenberg
Germany
Bretten
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The best solitaire game I have played so far (and that is in print) is Mage Knight Board Game in combination with Mage Knight Board Game: The Lost Legion Expansion. You have to reserve a good chunk of table space and commit a few hours, but it is really worthwhile. Each game tells a story, and I think this is the most important part when playing solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Eichenberg
Germany
Bretten
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had a look at your whishlist, because I was not sure if Mage Knight would fit your taste. With Navajo Wars and Dawn of the Zeds (Second edition) on your list, you can not go wrong with Mage Knight Board Game. And while Dawn of the Zeds (Second edition) is a fantastic game, Mage Knight Board Game is the better of the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to recommend Elder Sign up, down, left and right but now the mobile app Elder Sign: Omens is sooo good and so much better, that I almost always suggest you go for that instead. Especially if you have a tablet device.

Still, I'm happy to have ES in my collection and it is an all time fave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scameronde wrote:
The best solitaire game I have played so far (and that is in print) is Mage Knight Board Game in combination with Mage Knight Board Game: The Lost Legion Expansion. You have to reserve a good chunk of table space and commit a few hours, but it is really worthwhile. Each game tells a story, and I think this is the most important part when playing solo.

I would have recommended Mage Knight, too, but assumed it was too… big, for lack of a better word, since those dice games seem much shorter and more manageable. Also, even though Mage Knight is a fantastic game, I myself traded it away because of the length; I just wasn't playing it. Just setting it up was kind of an ordeal. And the game's footprint is ginourmous. You will be taking up the largest table in your house for several hours. This is why I recommend Friday. It takes (for me) the best part of Mage Knight (the deck building) and focuses on the solo player experience. Of course, it's not as robust as Mage Knight, and I miss exploring all the cool spells and stuff - but I missed that even when I had Mage Knight, 'cause I never played the damn thing.

Another game to consider is Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set. A lot of people love it because you have a persistent character that develops over several games. It's not as deep strategically as something like Mage Knight, but there's loot and it seems a lot more manageable. It doesn't have that deck building mechanic like Mage Knight and Friday, however. If it did it would be my grail game.

Also, if $$ is a concern, Friday is MUCH cheaper than the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K L
msg tools
Mr_Bickman wrote:

I would have recommended Mage Knight, too, but assumed it was too… big, for lack of a better word, since those dice games seem much shorter and more manageable. Also, even though Mage Knight is a fantastic game, I myself traded it away because of the length; I just wasn't playing it. Just setting it up was kind of an ordeal. [...] Another game to consider is Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set. A lot of people love it because you have a persistent character that develops over several games. [...] Also, if $$ is a concern, Friday is MUCH cheaper than the rest.

Hey! I really appreciate your comment. I already own Friday - great game! I had Mage Knight once - I traded it away because of the length as well.
I have heard about Pathfinder and I'm still waiting for it to be released here in germany (will take some months =/). So I started looking around for some short games (playable with two players as well), and therefore had a look at Elder Sign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kvothe91 wrote:
Hi there,

Can you recommend Elder Sign as a solo game? What about Roll through the ages? Can it be played solitaire? Are there any further games like this.. ?
Yes, I can recommend Elder Sign as a solo game. I play it that way all the time and it's really no different than playing with multiple people. Though you may want to control two or more roles yourself in order to get access to more abilities. Unlike a lot of games, the solo mode doesn't require rules changes. I like it a lot, and it's easy to teach people if you do decide to break it out with others. It does require some setup time, but not too bad if you keep it all sorted, and it plays in about an hour. It's definitely worth the money, being a relatively inexpensive game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for dice games, Elder Sign is a good one to solo, though I like the app a bit better, as it is basically the same game with none of the setup time (which is mostly minimal anyway). It plays very well on a tablet.

If you're looking for something more Euro that plays well with 2 and is decently short I can recommend At the Gates of Loyang, Suburbia, or Glass Road. I think Glass Road is the shortest playing, and I really enjoy it solo.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue also plays very well solo (with 1 or more Firefighters controlled by one person). Also, plays in under and hour, and is pretty light on rules. Plays really well with multiple people (the individual turns are pretty quick, so there's not a lot of downtime unless you have someone alpha gaming and telling everyone what to do).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll Through the Ages, IMO, has very little staying power. Once you settle on a combination of developments that generate a high number of points, there is very little incentive to deviate much. I also do not care much for solo games where you simply try to beat your previous high score, which is what RttA does. I would rather play a solo game that has a win condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Reynolds
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have RTtA (tangible) and Elder Sign (iPad).

I wish I would have saved the $ and bought RTtA as an app. I like both of those games, but they both work better to me as apps.

All that being said, I see elder sign as a better solo option. Much better theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A quick, entertaining, and thematic game I recently got is Infection: Humanity's Last Gasp. You're basically in a lab and using your limited resources to harvest proteins to target the molecules that make up the disease... only the molecular makeup keeps mutating. However, you can purchase lab equipment and personnel (ie "Power-Ups") to help you along.

The game gives a nice representation of the entire planet's survival hinging on your ability to find the cure

I made a short video demoing the game as well because I was so impressed with it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.