Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just came into a large bunch of cards due to a recent eBay purchase. Now in addition to all the cards that I had in the base game, of which there are more than you really need:
'C', 'O', Pi (didn't even know this one), and the probably never going to be played 'L', 'X', and Legen*dairy.
Also got still sealed the Gamer's (heard alot of good things), World Championship (different backs?) and 'NL' (sold off, just too many) Decks.

As I was looking through the 'O' and 'C' Decks I was thinking the same as I did with the base game decks: "This one's good, dumb, OK, bad..." etc.

Invariably when we play there are always cards that don't get played. On top of that there are cards that rarely or never get played simply because they're not (or perceived not) very good at all. There's only so many times you can play an Occupation in a game much less for one that's weak. So why even have these cards at all if they're just going to clutter up your hand even with a draft or never get played?

So essentially my question is has anyone just removed some of the cards that don't get played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Alabaster Smitty
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also do a draft whereby you either take out those cards no one would want anyway or just keep all the cards in there and people at least get to choose some they want (depending on how you do the draft).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are way too many combinations for me to be anywhere near confident in what I'm about to say, but I'm about to say that 'weakness' or 'strength' is a more a function of the other cards with which it can be combined modified by the current game-state than just a function of the 'power' of the card itself.

In other words, a card which is 'useless' in some circumstances might be very useful in other.

That said, amongst those who know there is a list of cards which are regarded as 'overpowered' and are thus deprecated, and I assume those same folks could identify a set at the other end of the spectrum too: but those classifications might be more for high-level competition play rather than game nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brown
United States
Ofallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
King Agricola
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this link:

http://play-agricola.com/forums/index.php?topic=2677.0;topicseen

It has ratings for all of the cards you mention. This will help you determine what is a "playable" card and what is not.

Oh, the Gamer's Deck (G deck) and the World Championship deck (WM) were created by the members of play-agricola.com

If you want answers to anything Gric, go there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
A3RKev wrote:
So essentially my question is has anyone just removed some of the cards that don't get played?

If you do that, then you'll end up with a deck in which a certain percentage of the cards will rarely, if ever, get played. Get rid of those and you'll have a new deck in which certain cards will rarely, if ever, get played.

See where I'm going with this?

Quite typically in the course of a game of Agricola, a given player will only play a few Ocks and maybe half of his/her Minors, plus buy a few Majors. There are almost always cards that don't get played, no matter how strong they are. You really can't eliminate them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A3RKev wrote:
So why even have these cards at all if they're just going to clutter up your hand even with a draft or never get played?

At the risk of repeating what Geoff said...never-mind I'm just going to repeat what Geoff said.

No matter what set of cards you use, there are some great ones, some middle one and some terrible ones. Taking out the terrible ones just means that some of the ones that were ok before become terrible.

When I played those E-deck only games on the iOS App, I'd use cards that I never use in my live games. But in that limited world those cards became better.

The thing about Agricola is that that are really very few cards that are unplayable bad. (There are a couple, but very few.) But in most games, the worst few cards in your hand just won't get played no matter how good they are. So no matter how good your hand is overall, you're still going to end up with cards you don't play.

The other thing is that there are a lot of cards that are very weak on their own, but that combo nicely with other cards. (A lot of the cards that favor sowing are like this.) If you pull them out because they are weak you miss out on those rare games where someone actually manages to pull off those combos, which to me is one of the best things about Agricoa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TwitchBot wrote:

At the risk of repeating what Geoff said...never-mind I'm just going to repeat what Geoff said.

What they said

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grandy
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As previously mentioned, card drafting is definitely the way to go to "customize" your hand.

In regards to cherry picking (building your own decks); leave them as is. You may feel intimidating by the sheer number of cards, but most seasons agricola players are "yes, look at all these cards".

I noticed in another thread you recently purchased Agricola; I don't know how many plays you have under your belt. But Agricola has accumulated a venereal ton of plays and has established itself as one of the best designed games to date. You never have enough time/resources to play all your cards anyway. So having "bad" cards is a moot point.

Basically what I'm trying to say is "don't try reinventing the wheel; just play it like the rest of us". And the next time you're dealt a "bad" card, just don't play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also am able to game once a week for about 4-5 hours only. With over 50 games to choose from we change constantly. In fact, we played Agricola w/ Farmers of the Moor the last two weeks which is why I'm on this subject. Moving on to something else next week.
I bring it up because with such a dearth of Agricola games being played there are just too many cards that are just going to sit around unused for very long stretches of time.
Caverna has really gouged our Agricola playing time as well.
Those few times we get to play it, do we really have to keep passing "Chief's Daughter" or whatever other card you don't waste the Action or Food on back and forth again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i have removed most of the cards actually =) also very powerful ones. i only kept so many that the pile of occupations and minors each still fits into the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.