Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Johnson
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I recently played my first game of Core Worlds and enjoyed it quite a bit! Dominion is a great deck builder but it doesn't have much theme in it and that's where Core Worlds really shined for me.

That being said, I'm not sure I fully understand the purpose of the Prestige cards. When conquering Core Worlds, you spend your energy to deploy all the awesome cards you've drafted (including the super cool ones you drafted in sector 4) and then invade a planet for lots of points. It's thematic, fun, and utilizes the deck that you've spent the entire game constructing. By contrast, the Prestige Cards were a bit of a let down. You spend energy to get some points. And that's it! What's so prestigious about that? The prestige cards don't even interact with the deck you've constructed in this deck building game. I found invading Core Worlds fun and buying prestige cards not fun, and about half the cards in sector five are prestige cards. Chances are, those cool capital ships you drafted in sector 4 will only get to participate in a single invasion soblue.

Furthermore, I'm not sure I understand the design of the prestige cards. Why are some worth more points than others? Why is there a discount based on the number of core-worlds you've already conquered? Isn't that a bit like king-making? Why don't they interact with the Galactic Orders they're named after (other than placing one of your faction tokens)? Are they simply there to give players something to spend their excess energy on?

So what am I missing here? Perhaps people with more Core Worlds experience can speak to some kind of higher purpose they play in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it as investing your resources in some aspect of your civilization besides conquest. There are many ways to make your civilization great besides controlling planets. Prestige cards are all about those alternate measures of civilization's "greatness." Victory points are a measure of that "greatness" in order to compare conquests and prestige.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Johnson
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
trenttsd wrote:
Think of it as investing your resources in some aspect of your civilization besides conquest. There are many ways to make your civilization great besides controlling planets. Prestige cards are all about those alternate measures of civilization's "greatness." Victory points are a measure of that "greatness" in order to compare conquests and prestige.

I suppose that helps me understand it thematically, but that doesn't make it fun. The idea of having a non-conquest route is interesting to me but, given the fact that you conquested your way through the first 4 sectors, the idea of prestige = non-conquest feels tacked on and under developed. Maybe conquest alternatives can be fleshed out in future expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Prestige cards give you some VP's in case you have a lot of energy but nothing to conquer, or not enough troops to do so. They are a consolation price.

There will be more to Prestige once the expansion is added, because they also let you optimize the points you get from the Galactic Order tokens.

I don't think you can build your whole strategy on buying Prestige, but sometimes you may want to conquer the high-VP worlds of rounds 7 and 8, and knowingly give the first shot at the Core Worlds for your opponents. There are very good 6 to 7-VP worlds in the 4-deck that also provide energy, so you may want to conquer them and compensate for the difference with Prestige.

(Note: the number of VPs you get from a Prestige is higher the higher cost they are.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
Trent has provided a great thematic explanation, and Pasi has explained the mechanics very clearly. As he mentioned, the Prestige Cards are a way for you to score points if you are unable to conquer a Core World, or have already conquered a Core World and have energy left over but not enough to deploy and conquer another.

Before these existed, players who had no Core Worlds to conquer would just pass and stare at the other players. Believe me, that is less fun!

The reason they have a discount for conquering Core Worlds is to encourage people to conquer Core Worlds first. Prestige Cards are not a viable alternative to Core Worlds. They are, as Pasi mentioned, a consolation prize if you have lots of energy but your deck is under-performing. Or perhaps a reward for using up all your troops and having some energy left over.

In the expansion, they can help break ties among the Galactic Orders, or perhaps even provide an essential power you need to conquer another Core World.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K.
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
So when you draft a prestige card, it goes into your discard pile like any other drafted card? Does this mean you could potentially draw it and play it for one action just to get the token on the respective galactic order? It sounds that way, based on the previous comment.

It certainly seems that way with how the card is laid out, even though they don't seem to have any other effect when played. Would they go into the discard again once played like a tactic, or into the warzone like a planet or unit?

It doesn't make a big difference, but I was wondering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkherokaze wrote:
So when you draft a prestige card, it goes into your discard pile like any other drafted card?
No. Here's a rule on drafting prestige cards:

Quote:
Unlike Units and Tactics, drafted Prestige cards (red) are immediately placed face up in the player’s
Warzone. Prestige cards are never added to a player’s hand, deck, or discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, prestige goes directly onto the table when you buy it, and if you play with Galactic Orders, you get to place the applicable Galactic Order token just after you purchase the Prestige card.

Also note that having core worlds do not provide purchase discounts to the 9-cost prestige from Galactic Orders (The Eidolon League). Probably because it is the only one with 4 VP and the flexibility of placing a token on any Galactic Order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.