Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Neely
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My primary gaming partner is my gf and she typically doesn't care much for worker placement although I love the mechanic. She is much more into deck building and dips into ameritrash more than anything else.

However, I introduced her to Lords of Waterdeep and she stated several times that it was a great game and that she liked it (much more so than say, Stone Age, which she felt took too long). I'd like to acquire another worker placement style game, but I'm looking for something that probably isn't too heavy, plays relatively quickly (under 2 hours) and has an interesting theme. It's usually just the two of us, so a strong 2 player support is necessary. I am looking at Dungeon Petz as I have heard good things about it, but I'm looking for other suggestions as well.

Thanks for any feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Putrino
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People say Yedo, I've never played. But I do like The Manhattan Project and Belfort
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Here you go:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1133351/worker-placement-gam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Neil
United States
Winona
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's probably not quite what you're looking for since it's a pretty quick and small game, but my wife and I have gotten a lot of fun out of Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small. Worker placement, with little meeples for tokens and nicely illustrated game boards. It is quick though, and you sound like you're looking for something with a longer playtime. Still, she might dig it.

I thought Dungeon Petz would be a hit with her, but it was a little too complicated for her taste (which I think in part is because of what you need to do to play it 2 player). I haven't given up on it, but I think the complexity of it surprised both of us for what it looks like at first glance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Longardner
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Maybe Ninjato? Great bits and art. Not sure how well it plays with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninjato isn't a WP game, but it I would say it needs 3-4 players for it to shine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dungeon Petz is quite heavy in my opinion (as someone who likes light-med/medium games). I still own and enjoy it, but I wouldn't expect people who want a light game to enjoy it. It has a lot of rules and requires a good deal of thought and planning, despite its cute theme.

If she likes space, Alien Frontiers is very well done and feels a lot different than LOW. It doesn't SCREAM theme, but it is still cool.

Village is mildly heavier than LOW and fun. While it is the standard "I'm in a medieval city" theme, it has more flavor in that your workers stay committed to a job and live their lives there. I think it's fairly cool in that respect. A nice mix of dry gaming and theme. She may or may not disagree.

Both of the above are common suggestions and are good games all around. I'll hesitate from stranger or less common exceptions to ensure you get something fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
I will tell you that my GF loves Waterdeep, I introduced her to Yedo because it had been billed as "Waterdeep on Steroids". Long story short she loves Yedo too.

I don't know how helpful that is. A few other of her favorites are Belfort, Snowdonia and The Speicherstadt (although I have the expansions for this game which IMO makes it much better)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Neil
United States
Winona
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
savagec wrote:
I'll hesitate from stranger or less common exceptions...

Ooo, I'd be interested in what those are (don't want to hijack the thread though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Neely
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm interested in hearing what those might be as well. Great suggestions so far! I have plenty of researching to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Spyrium. The WP buildings are cards, and they come out in different ways each game, similar to Waterdeep. When you place workers, you place them between two cards, and later you can select which card to claim, which adds a neat new dimension. The VP engine is definitely a step more complicated than LoW, with a few different paths to score. The game plays in an hour, and it's under $30, I recommend it highly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
It's not out until June, but Argent: The Consortium might fit the bill. It's very thematic and has some ameritrashy elements, but is worker placement at its core. I'm not sure about the length for 2-player but it should clock in at under 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Ninjato isn't a WP game, but it I would say it needs 3-4 players for it to shine.

Ive played it a few times with 2 and I enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too was looking for a WP game with the same feel as LoW. Specifically, I wanted something that played in about an hour, worked well with 2, felt tight but never suffocating, and which always would leave me with a feeling of accomplishment after each turn.

Enter Viticulture. If you look at the publisher's web site you'll find print-and-play files, so you can try it out before you buy. The game may be hard to come by these days, but sometime next week the Kickstarter campaign for the expansion, Tuscany: Expand the World of Viticulture, will launch, and Viticulture will be available through that campaign. The downside is that those copies will reach customers in August - but then you can play with the PnP version in the mean time, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Wojtkielewicz
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
He who comes too late is punished by life.
mbmbmbmbmb
manhattan project, siberia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about getting the expansion to LoW?

Dungeon Petz is freaking awesome...but you do have to plan a few turns in advance and manage your resources well.

What about The Castles of Burgundy?

I haven't played it but Village is suppose to be good. Though you do purposely kill your workers to gain VP so that might not appeal to her.

What about Bruges? I also have not played this but it looks easy enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Reynolds
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also thinking of The Castles of Burgundy. It's not worker placement in the same sense of LoW, but it is similar in the sense that once an action is made (piece is chosen) then it cannot be made again.

My wife likes this game a lot.

...and I just got LoW from an auction on BGG, so I can't wait for it to get here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dan beat me by a second, although I was going to say Caylus itself (great 2p game).

You know how in waterdeep those buildings come out and you build them and then if someone else uses them, you get a bonus of some type? Well, that was directly lifted from Caylus..... only that game is still unmatched. It's brutal, mean, and has endless replayability. One of the few WP games that actually gets worse if you play it with the highest supported number. Stick with 2-3p games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.