Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, 3rd play of a 4 player game. I like this Wallace design better than any I have played, of course in most of his designs there seems to be consistent economic mechanisms, loans, money is tight, decisions are tough etc.

But, I dont know how valid this comment is but it seems that it is almost impossible to put plants on the far left of the board...lets say from the premium Lincoln V 12 to Cord 810. Perhaps because only playing 4.

Maybe been playing wrong but in all three plays, only were able to expand to farthermost spot of the Durant D60...

Just an observation and question....has anyone been able to produce cars from left side of board?

Also, anyone tried a 2 player game, or have any ideas for 2 player variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Bob!
With about 20 games under my belt, I find that when we play with four (or five), we almost always end up building factories on the "left side of the board."

My feeling is that your group doesn't play the "furthest spot of this color" game yet. (In my group, we tend to vie for, say, the last gray production spot before the break in the board -- where there are no grays for a while. This creates competition to move forward ASAP, which usually brings us to those left-hand-side production spots you're talking about.)

It all depends on your group dynamics.

As for two-player variants, you'll find several in the variants forum, including one that most players seem to agree is balanced.
I haven't tried the game with just two myself.

Come back here and let us know what you thought if you do try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure some more experienced players will chime in here, but with 5 players, it it certainly possible, and if memory serves fairly common. With 4, people have to really be pumping the technology, but it is still very possible, although less common.

Thought I remembered a 2-p variant floating around, but I can't even imagine playing with 2. 3 even some ems not enough most times.

Edit: Looks like a more experienced player already ninjaed !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Francis and Ken

So, R and D is the key to getting to the left. It seems that car production would have to be extensive lets say on turn 1 and 2. Also, it would seem that players would have to limit their production spaces to 1 and at the most 2 plants in order to have enough cash on hand to pay for those expensive plants.

I guess the farther out you move, the more of an opportunity to cause your opponents to pick up loss cubes. Also at end game the plants you have running will be reimbursed to you at full cost.

Still it seems that one would have to take out two loans in order to pay for production space growth.

thanks again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, Bob, I have rarely seen someone win without taking out at least one loan. It's possible, but rare (in my experience).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you understand the value of having multiple size-1 factories, I can guarantee that you will reach the last models more often than not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
This is really interesting to me, I have never gotten past the middle of the lower row and even that was rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my last 5-player game, we built factories up to the Chevrolet Six. A few spots were skipped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls