Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this with a group of five. Everyone liked the game but we were never really inspired to attack each other. There are plenty of all of the cards to go around in terms of color, value, and unit type. There never was really a time when one would say, 'oh man, you have the builder??' and would launch a strike.

It was only after a few rounds that we did attack each other but it was really just to do it. There were plenty of ways to finish a hand quickly enough and with enough points that conflict didn't really arise very often.

There's no question it is a fun game to play. We liked it. I just wish there was some reason to compel a player to go into battle whether it was because there was a rare unit or for some other cause like you have a secret mission to kidnap all princesses.

Maybe we'll pull a card out of Lords of Waterdeep and give a player an extra four gold for every farmer in his villages at the end of the game. With a secret identity, it could get the other players to become suspicious of your directive and kidnap a farmer or two from you to prevent the bonuses from determining the game.

I don't know. That's my two cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
let's go back to the roots.

This game is essentially Rummy, so, of course you can finish the game without robbing anyone of his cards or adding cards to the other's villages.

Your idea makes sense, but seems to me it would push the game completely from the other side.

How about each kidnapped villager is woth 1 gold more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Griffin Patterson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I can see adding worth to kidnapped villagers being worthwhile. As a means of simplicity, get some coin tokens to add to your spoils when you take a prisoner. However, I would clarify to say that destroyed villagers do not count for additional gold.

Would a single gold really have that much punch in a game? I've not played it yet, so I'm not sure what winning scores look like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaron Frost
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
It has been really interesting to play the game with a bunch of different groups over the years. Some absolutely love battling and will do it just because they want to. Others hardly battle at all. Both play styles are totally appropriate and encouraged, and there are ways to score big points either way.

When I play, I usually attack when I have 2 cards of a color in my hand, and one of my opponents has a village of that color. If I win, I get to take a third card and build a new village of my own. That's moving a lot of points from your hand (potentially negative) to the table (positive), as well as dealing a small blow to an opponent. So it's more about the color than the specific unit type.

Other times when we've found it useful to attack are to simply try to shut down a player who's doing really well. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes it doesn't, but if an opponent's village is worth 10 gold and they have a King sitting there... it becomes very tempting to mess that up.

Anyway, those are my thoughts as the designer. But like I said, having a relatively peaceful game is totally okay if that's how the players want to do it. Sometimes, participating in a ton of battles just ends up draining everyone's points, while the players who just stand by and watch end up with the higher score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.