Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep running into an apparent rules contradiction, and I am confident there is a ruling, but I can't find it.

The Pressing On rule states that you set aside the glory you've won until you either camp or secure the artifact.

But the Fights rule states that when you beat an enemy, you get the glory immediately.

Which is true if you are fighting an enemy as part of a Danger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:
I keep running into an apparent rules contradiction, and I am confident there is a ruling, but I can't find it.

The Pressing On rule states that you set aside the glory you've won until you either camp or secure the artifact.

But the Fights rule states that when you beat an enemy, you get the glory immediately.

Which is true if you are fighting an enemy as part of a Danger?

If the Glory is listed on an Enemy or Nazi Enemy card (or from hitting a Villain) you get it immediately after the fight, no need to camp. If the Glory is on the Danger card you get the glory only if you camp or gain the artefact.

Philip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, thanks. Is that somewhere in the rules or a later ruling? Makes sense to me, but I wish it were spelled out more clearly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert have you tried the "complete rulebook" in the file section, it has consolidated rules and FAQs.

Remember that at any point you can stop and not press on. Some Dangers with enemies attached may have an Escape option. So the Fight option is a connected test handled by it's own different small set of rules.

Dangers can trigger fights but you can trigger fights in other circumstances too.

Failing the fight will then cause you to fail the Danger (see the left hand panel on page 13 for the most of the Dangers rules).

The Fight rules are on Page 14 Says:

Quote:
Fight
Often alongside the Skill Test options of a Danger there will be an option to instead go directly to a Fight. Fights are described in detail below. If the Hero chooses a Fight option rather than a Test, the Danger is overcome if the Hero defeats the Enemy or if the Hero can Escape from the Enemy. Note that in a Fight, the Glory Value of the Danger card is not used, but rather the Enemy itself has a Glory Value associated with it.

So you gain Glory based on the enemies GV (on their card) when you defeat the enemy.

If you have won the fight (claim enemies Glory) then you return to the danger deal with any remaining tests, then Camp Down (claiming Glories won on other non-fight Dangers) or Press on (ooh brave/risky).

=====
I look at the fight as a 'subroutine' accessed by the main Danger 'routine' that returns a true/false result back to the main Danger 'routine'. If the result is a failed fight then that would cause the main Danger 'routine' to fail.

You can trigger enemy fights in other situation that would also access the Fight "subroutine".

I'm not sure if the clarifies or muddies things up.cry

ADDITION: Red text add to further clarify one part that could be taken two ways..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That helps a lot. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Fight option on a Danger replaces the Danger's glory reward with the enemy's.

1) If you vanquish the Enemy, you get its glory immediately, plus a Danger token.
2) If you Escape the Enemy, you get no glory but you do get the Danger token.
3) If the Enemy KO's you, you've lost the Fight. Technically you'd go to Cliffhanger but since you're already KO, there is no point.
3b) If you KO the Enemy as he KO's you, you win the glory (but you're still KO).

It's a little different when running as part of a team.
1) During the Fight, the team members must alternate (round-robin fashion) facing the Enemy in each fight round.
2) Team members may escape, leaving the remaining team members to face the enemy.
The possible outcomes are:
1) All in-fight team members KO'ed. Escaped team members, if any, get the Danger token (but no Glory). Otherwise the Adventure is failed.
2) Enemy and last in-fight team member both KO'ed simultaneously. The last team member in question gets the Glory. If there are some escaped team members still at the adventure, they get the Danger token.
3) Enemy KO'ed, some team member(s) still standing. The in-fight team members each get the Glory. Escaped team members rejoin the team. The team gets the Danger token.
4) All team members have escaped. Discard the enemy. Team gets the Danger token (but no Glory).

Facing a Villain is again slightly different, because it stays for a fixed number of rounds, you can't Escape, and each team member gets Glory for each Hit on the Villain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.