Subject: Purplebelly and the Bandit - Story card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wanted to do a "Smokey and the Bandit" style Story card. Should play pretty fast.

Setup - All players begin in Persephone. Place the "special Fugitive" counter on Albion. Place the Alliance Cruiser on Albion.

Special Rules - The "Special Fugitive" takes up 1 cargo space. She is unique and cannot be replaced if she is eaten by Reavers. If she is captured by the Alliance, she is returned to Albion. She can be stolen from any player (or Albion) by a player with TRANSPORT if you are in the same sector as the "Special Fugitive". Players with the "Special Fugitive" may move the Alliance cruiser 1 space as a "Deal" action.

You and your Firefly buddies hear of an outrageous job being offered by Baron Burdett and his cousin Baronett Burdett on Anson's World, Red Sun. They want a party fueled by barrels of the special hooch they brew on Three Hills, Georgia. It pays up to $8000 to the first person who can deliver them the hooch. But they have some strange conditions.

Goal #1: Start Here.
Destination: Anson's World, Red Sun
Get a purchase order from the Burdetts. It takes a Negotiation Check of 7 or better to convince them to give you the job. Players with the "Special Fugitive" may bypass this test and collect this Goal without spending an action.

Goal #2: Get the Hooch
Destination: Three Hills, Georgia.
Pass Tech 7 test. If you have the "Special Fugitive" this test may be waived (action still required for Goal)
Load as much contraband as you can carry.
Collect Goal #2.
Stack FIVE "disgruntled" tokens on the goal token. Each time you take a "fly" action remove 1 token.

Goal #3: Deliver the Hooch.
Destination: Anson's World
Pass 9 Fight test. If you have the "special Fugitive" you gain +2 to this test.
Deliver as much contraband as you want.
Any player with "disgruntled" tokens remaining on Goal #2 may Collect Goal #3 and Get paid.
+$1000 for each remaining "disgruntled" token on Goal #2
+ $300 per contraband
+ $500 for the "Special Fugitive"

Any player with "disgruntled" tokens remaining on Goal #2 may still deliver their contraband and get paid. The player with all three goals with the most money wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"The player with the most money wins." Does that mean every player plays through all three goals, or everyone tallies their money once the first player completes Goal #3?

If the latter, it seems possible for one player to complete all three goals, yet lose to someone who hasn't even completed the first goal? Is that right?

If the Burdetts only pay $300 per Contraband, why wouldn't I just sell the hootch to Niska for a tidy profit?

I like the idea, but clearly have some questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
"The player with the most money wins." Does that mean every player plays through all three goals, or everyone tallies their money once the first player completes Goal #3?

If the latter, it seems possible for one player to complete all three goals, yet lose to someone who hasn't even completed the first goal? Is that right?

If the Burdetts only pay $300 per Contraband, why wouldn't I just sell the hootch to Niska for a tidy profit?

Yes, you could sell the hooch to Niska, but that takes being Solid with him, and taking a deal action. And then flying back to the Burdetts on Anson's World to collect whatever is left of your goal. The $1000 for doing it quickly is the offset to selling to Niska.

Most money between all those who complete all three goals... If you bail on the story you can't complete, obviously, since the moviestory is sort of a "wager race"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
MrDave2176 wrote:
gwek wrote:

Yes, you could sell the hooch to Niska, but that takes being Solid with him, and taking a deal action. And then flying back to the Burdetts on Anson's World to collect whatever is left of your goal. The $1000 for doing it quickly is the offset to selling to Niska.

Most money between all those who complete all three goals... If you bail on the story you can't complete, obviously, since the moviestory is sort of a "wager race"

So then how does the game end? What's the end condition that makes folks count their money?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Once everyone has completed the third goal (or run out of time by taking too long...specifically took more than 5 turns to complete the third goal) then it is over.

Did you miss the part about the "disgruntled tokens?" That's the countdown clock. When that runs out you can't collect the third goal.

I added the part about "The player with three goal tokens and the most money wins" to specifically address the first time you asked about "the most money".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Simcock
Australia
flag msg tools
I like the idea, but there appears to be a problem.
All you need to do is make sure everyone else get's Goal #2 before you. Once they get that Goal they have 5 turns to deliver, but you can spend as long as you like making more money. Then when you do finish Goal #3 you'll have far more money than anyone else.
I'd suggest that a number of disgruntled tokens (say 10) be placed on the the Story Card on Goal #1. Each turn one is removed and if they run out then everyone looses. As soon as anyone achieved Goal #1 then remove the tokens and put a new pile (sat 10 again) on Goal #2. Each turn remove one and when they run out then anyone who has not achieved Goal #2 looses. From there you have the individual timers on Goal #3 to bring up the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.