Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Like Race for the Galaxy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff James
msg tools
Like the title says I'm looking for a game like Race For the Galaxy. When I say like I mean with the many different paths to victory. No one over powering strategy. It really has to do nothing with RFTG in any way besides having the replay value.
What the game I'm looking for needs:
-replay value
-good with two players but scale up to 4 or 5
-deep strategy
-theme not important but don't think an abstract is what we are looking for
-can be heavier then RFTG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played very many games like RftG, but Bruges is one of the best games to look into. It has quite a few different paths to victory, and each card can do a number of different things. I much prefer RftG to Bruges due to Bruges having noticeably less complexity, but there are a lot of people who appreciate Bruges for what it is.

Also, Uncharted: The Board Game is one that I really enjoy that isn't talked about too much on here. I like this one because it's much more interactive than RftG, and it can also be extremely difficult depending on what ends up in the encounter deck you assemble. Also has different modes of play (Solo, cooperative, and two competitive variants). It doesn't have a ton of different paths to victory, but definitely emphasizes good hand management and coping with what the game throws at you. And at the price it's at, it's more than a bargain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Race for the Galaxy is based upon San Juan. If you're looking for a similar card-game, I'd recommend that.

Beyond that, what you've listed describes many of the top 50 Eurogames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you also like that it's card engine/tableau builder that plays in under an hour (while still packing a strategic punch) you can add Tournay and Spyrium to the list.

If you don't mind a more tactical than strategic game then you can also add Innovation. Oh, Innovation is best with 2, good with 3 and chaotic with 4.

On the tactical to strategic spectrum I'd order it: Innovation, RftG, Tournay, Spyrium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RftG is my favourite game; other games I like due to similar strategic variety are:
* Homesteaders - auctions, resource management, combos, fairly short 60-90 minutes, plays 2-4
* Dominion with expansions - deck-building, combos, high variety (but derived from the setup), short duration (but depends on setup), plays 2-4 (you can add 5-6 with Dominion: Intrigue but there's a lot of downtime)
* Glass Road - simultaneous role selection, resource management, combos, short duration, plays 2-4

Glory to Rome and Innovation are also card-based high-variety tableau-building games; the powers are much wilder than RftG.

Agricola is a heavier worker placement with high variety due to the Occupation and Minor Improvement cards; it plays 1-5.

I don't recommend San Juan because it's a step down in depth and complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ps rv
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Race for the Galaxy is (currently) my favorite game. As others have noted, San Juan is probably most like Race but is a step down in depth and complexity. I'll second the Glory to Rome recommendation, but that game is out of print, and difficult to find.

You may also want to look at the Recommendations section on the main Race page. The recommendations are "very weak" but it seems like a decent starting point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade C.
United States
CAPE GIRARDEAU
MO - Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amnese wrote:
I believe Race for the Galaxy is based upon San Juan. If you're looking for a similar card-game, I'd recommend that.

It started as a card game version of Puerto Rico, which is what San Juan ended up being, while RftG ended up becoming it's own thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

+1 Glory to Rome Don't let the ugly art fool you. Great game!

You may want to look at Core Worlds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Jeff616 wrote:
-replay value
-deep strategy

Hansa Teutonica meets most of these criteria (the game comes with a 2-player variant, but I've never played it with two to see if it works well), but it's hard to come by. It's an awesome game, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
London would work pretty well with your criteria, though you need a variant for it to shine with two. Great game.

Troyes would be another.

Age of Industry is another, but it may be a stretch. It's going to take a couple plays before you "get it." I mean, you'll know HOW to play within the first few turns, but you won't really understand WHY you're doing things or why one player wins over another for at least 3 or 4 plays.

Navegador is definitely a game fitting your criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
Jeff616 wrote:
-replay value
-deep strategy

Hansa Teutonica meets most of these criteria (the game comes with a 2-player variant, but I've never played it with two to see if it works well), but it's hard to come by. It's an awesome game, though.

Just for the record, the two-player game is TERRIBLE. Universally reviled. It is one of my favorite games with 4 or 5, though (along with RFTG).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff James
msg tools
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
If you also like that it's card engine/tableau builder that plays in under an hour (while still packing a strategic punch) you can add Tournay and Spyrium to the list.

I think you are right about the time frame being part of what makes RFTG my favorite. How it doesn't take 2 hours for the stredagy to show up. It seems like every card played in a big decision and has a very real impact on how you will fair at the end

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.