Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Caught in a mechanism
Brazil
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some modules and HQs give an attack bonus to connected units. For example, the Hegemony HQ gives "+1 Strength in Melee combat". If a connected unit does not originally have that attack type (e.g. Hegemony's Net Fighter), does it gain the attack type? In other words, does it go from "zero melee" to "1 melee"?

If possible, please quote the relevant rule book passage. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
To put it plainly no.

It's not so much about quoting the rules as it is common sense. Think about it. If the net fighter did get a melee attack in what direction would he hit? He has no melee attack so there's nothing to buff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
He has no melee attack so there's nothing to buff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
To put it plainly no.

It's not so much about quoting the rules as it is common sense. Think about it. If the net fighter did get a melee attack in what direction would he hit? He has no melee attack so there's nothing to buff.

Exactly; to put it another way, the bonus makes every melee attack by the unit gain +1. The unit has no melee attacks, so all zero of its melee attacks gain +1, i.e. the bonus has no practical effect on the unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver K.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
To put it plainly no.

Well, that seems to be obvious, but what about units that have melee attacks (arrows) and would gain ranged?

I just bought the game and played a first match against myself (hegemony/borgo). Well I won but I kept wondering how the officer tiles that give +1 melee strength work with a ranged unit.
Initially I decided that they do not affect it but then I had a look at puzzle no. 2.
The puzzle's solution gets the hegemony hq only down to 0 if the two units adjacent to the hq gain an additional ranged attack.

As these puzzles seem to be quite painstakingly constructed I find it hard to accept that as an error by design.

Cheers Folly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Ser Folly wrote:

Well, that seems to be obvious, but what about units that have melee attacks (arrows) and would gain ranged?

I just bought the game and played a first match against myself (hegemony/borgo). Well I won but I kept wondering how the officer tiles that give +1 melee strength work with a ranged unit.
Initially I decided that they do not affect it but then I had a look at puzzle no. 2.
The puzzle's solution gets the hegemony hq only down to 0 if the two units adjacent to the hq gain an additional ranged attack.

As these puzzles seem to be quite painstakingly constructed I find it hard to accept that as an error by design.

Cheers Folly

A unit not performing a ranged attack will never get a boost from a range up mod and likewise a unit performing no melee attack will never get a boost from a melee mod.

Also just to be clear the distance from the unit to the target has no bearing on whether it's considered melee or ranged. All that matters is the specific type of symbol the unit has to determine whether the attack counts as ranged or not. ie a unit with a long triangle next an hq with the long triangle facing the hp is still considered to be performing a ranged attack, think of it as shooting a gun from far away vs point blank. You would still need a "gun boost" to increase your damage.

A unit with both types of attacks (see the Hedge unit names ranger/universal soldier) can benefit from both types of boosts.

Unfortunately I do not have access to the puzzles. If you want me to check the puzzle and confirm what you are saying you'll need to provide it or describe what you see like which units are supposedly getting a wrong buff and all the mods they are connected to.

There have been errors in the puzzles other people have posted some of them to confirm/deny their suspicions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver K.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the swift reply. It was my mistake ;-)

I still tend to forget the HQ effects ...

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.