Popular Tags: [View All]
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've seen it mentioned that instead of playing with 7 people, it might be better to play 2 games with 3 or 4 players in each one.

I've ordered all 7 player factions and the map bundle. I was curious about what extra components you would need to do this, e.g. 2 doom tracks.

Bonus points if it would be possible to offer those a la carte. Or at least offer a PDF to print up those components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Playing two games with one base set
The only thing you'd need duplicating is the Doom Track and the first player marker. Everything else would be provided per the factions and the maps themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this thought myself the other day, as I'd like to host a sort of release party for my friends when it comes out (and went DVM, which even includes two different first player minis). Wouldn't you need to duplicate the pool of Doom Tokens and the Gates, or do the different maps come with different distributions of those?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you went DVM, you should have both plastic gate and the cardboard gates as part of the core game. For the doom tokens, they're providing them to be enough for a 7 player game, so I don't see an issue having a pile that both groups can pull from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
The only problem might be the Doom Track, but it's easily solvable with a piece of paper and a pen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thegrinder wrote:
The only problem might be the Doom Track, but it's easily solvable with a piece of paper and a pen.

Or just use one Doom Track for both games, assuming you have a sufficiently enormous table to run the games side-by-side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
thegrinder wrote:

Or just use one Doom Track for both games, assuming you have a sufficiently enormous table to run the games side-by-side.

Tables like that occur naturally, they're called "mesas".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good incentive to buy at least one extra map then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
You would also need more elder tokens. It will just come with 30 elder tokens - which is supposed to be for one game of any number of players.

Also, as has been mentioned, the Doom track and first player marker, but those are really easy to make other ones of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll only need another doom track if you're both playing with 4 people which is actually impossible with 1 DVM so I'm assuming you're doing either 4 and 3, or 5 and 2. So either way there are separate doom tracks for 3,4, and 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
What will be on the back of which track?

Are the 3 and 4 player doom tracks on opposite sides of the same cardboard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure it's going 3-4 5-6 and 7-8? Really the only changes in the tracks is the ritual of annihilation track. Hmmm I think I'll pitch that we just have those separate from the victory track save money. Thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
We are now planning to have three separate, individual, victory tracks in the core game box - 3-player, 4-player, and 5-player (despite the fact that it is not possible to play a 5-player game with the core set alone).

So if one of your maps used the 4-player victory track, and the other used the 3-player track, you'd be fine.

The big problem with running two games at once is that there is only one set of Elder Signs. On the other hand, usually these don't run out (particularly in a 3-player game), so maybe there would be enough for both groups?

More importantly, Elder Signs rarely get close to running out in games featuring new players - which is what you'd have in a release party. In any case, we have a rule to cover what happens if Elder Signs run out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
We are now planning to have three separate, individual, victory tracks in the core game box - 3-player, 4-player, and 5-player (despite the fact that it is not possible to play a 5-player game with the core set alone).

Does this reduce the amount of cardboard in the box?

One suggestion - the 3 and 5 player ritual tracks could be on the backs of each other since you can't play both a 3 and a 5 player game even with a full DVM anyway.

And the 4 player track could have on its back the full text of the play "The King in Yellow"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Renshaw
msg tools
Or on the back of the 4 player track have a photo of Grant's face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
dogthulu wrote:

This should be a promo on the BGG store XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This actually sounds like a blast — everyone gets to play, but with two separate games — one using the 4-player track and one the 3-player track — there would be, I assume, less downtime for 7 players. I'd consider using a slightly enlarged, shared pool of neutral monsters and GOOs — first come, first served!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Renshaw
msg tools
thegrinder wrote:
dogthulu wrote:

This should be a promo on the BGG store XD

haha yes! I just had a thought. GEG should make a Cult of Grant page on their website. It would be awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
River Lethe
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it was designed to be played as an independent faction, but is there anything about the mechanics that would keep someone from actually playing Azathoth as an 8th playable faction like the others (with the assumption that the other players couldn't summon your monsters)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't build to be a synergistic faction like the other ones, so the play experience is a lot worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
River Lethe
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFarlin
United States
Hainesville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, he doesn't come with any cultists, so good luck getting any power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
playing with Azathoth as a faction and problems with doing so:

A) Azathoth's combat and abilities heavily involve the other players. If your core GOO relied upon other players, that is bad for you. Azathoth himself really needs to be available to everyone for him to function normally.

B) The neutrals are all powerful creatures with inherent abilities. To counter the fact they are so powerful compared to most faction monsters, they cost 2 doom each. Should Azathoth lose a total of 8 doom points to be able to summon each of his four kinds of monsters? If yes, that's a screw. If no, he's a little overpowered.

C) One of Azathoth's spellbooks allows him to change out one his spellbooks for another. This only makes sense if he has 6 faction spellbooks PLUS the 6 neutral Azathoth spellbooks. But if he's a faction by himself this wouldn't make sense, and this spellbook would literally be useless.

D) Azathoth as a faction has no consistently effective way of gaining elder tokens. This is a problem for balance (especially since one of his spellbooks is about discarding elder tokens for power)

E) No cultists, but theoretically you could use a faction color not in used in that game

F) No faction unique ability. Of course, another difference is that he does actually have MORE total abilities than other factions, because all his monsters have inherent abilities...

H) There are doubtless other things I didn't immediately think of, but here are at least some basic issues with turning Azathoth into a playable faction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I didn't expect to get this much traction from the question. Good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
River Lethe
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of great info, thanks! Sounds like even if you wanted to give it a go, you'd have to make a lot of adjustments (and get some extra cultist figures).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.