Hide
6 Posts

Navajo Wars» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A wild victory ride in the Mexican period rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Lyons
msg tools
Hello all. This is my first post at BGG. I had a wild game of Navajo Wars this evening.

After achieved an automatic victory in the second scenario, I decide to move this auto victory to the campaign game. This was my first auto victory after a couple of dozen plays of the first two scenarios.

I set up the Mexican period with four Dine families. I quickly realized that the Mexican instructions and Historical Event cards make for a rough time.

The Dine wound up losing 2 out of their 4 families. The People's Culture was low. Slave raids and other raids had left gaps in the families. One family was wiped out from a succession of enemy and tribal raids. Another family fell in the Pueblo wars out west. A third family hit an intruder trifecta. In one legendary move, they found an Ambush, then a Mission, then the Skinwalker while the Dine had APs.

With people disappearing right and left, I was keeping Ceremony cards to add new people. This backfired when I drew a succession of Ceremony cards. The Bad Medicine effects that were hurting me were removing the rightmost Elder, add 2 AP to the Enemy APs, and add Raid counters to Santa Fe. When an Operational Card finally appeared, the Mexicans had nearly 20 APs to use and 4 extra Raid tokens. That was a scary Enemy Operations phase.

Then the Land Is Dying event hit. With 2 families, I was forced to do Good Medicine. Dine culture was now at 1! Fortunately the Enemy morale was also at 1.

Next Operations card, the Enemy raids. No families are caught, Enemy morale goes to zero! The Dine execute a passage of time. 2 families reappear, along with 4 elders. Then a problem, not enough food. The 4 new elders and one other elder all pass away.

Enemy morale being zero, I roll the auto victory die. A one, with 2 rancheos on the board, means the game continues.

It looks like the Dine may lose. Their own Culture is still low. But, a Dine family raids an outpost in Hopi Land, gaining a culture point. Then, in a raid, the Shiprock family wins a battle (using two Ceremony cards), dropping Enemy morale to 1. With the raid over, and no families in Caught boxes, Enemy morale drops to zero.

The resulting auto victory check is successful - a second Dine Automatic Victory! Now I will set up for the American Period. Will the luck of the Dine hold?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Impressive and congrats!

How did you bring the enemy to Moral 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narciso Aguirre
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sancherib wrote:

Yes, plz do tell! I am playing the Mexican period of the campaign. I've had much the same experience that you had except that I'm on the verge of losing with 3 black cubes in Subjugation, Dine at 5 military/culture and Mexico at 10 morale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
daboomer wrote:

Sancherib wrote:

Yes, plz do tell! I am playing the Mexican period of the campaign. I've had much the same experience that you had except that I'm on the verge of losing with 3 black cubes in Subjugation, Dine at 5 military/culture and Mexico at 10 morale.

Been there, done that.
Mexico is hard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lyons
msg tools
Sancherib wrote:

Thank you. The Mexicans had several raids finish with no families caught. I also had several successful ambushes during raids that lowered enemy morale. The enemy only had 2 red cubes in the New Mexico box - a legacy of my automatic victory in the Spanish era. So a Passage of Time lowered Mexican morale as well.

It was a tough victory to achieve. I did have to do Good Medicine, leaving me with 2 black cubes in the New Mexico box. Now I'm playing the American era. They get so many APs! I actually miss the 9 and 11 strength Spanish raids. At least I have learned how to manage them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lyons
msg tools
daboomer wrote:

Sancherib wrote:

EEK! I suppose victory is still possible in your situation. Do you believe in near miracles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.