Subject: Humanity Responds rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So in a previous thread, I mentioned an idea for a humanity "faction", one that isn't so much played, but acts as event cards. These card effects would hinder the Factions, upping the inherent difficulty. Here's how it would work.

The cards would add a new phase, Humanty Responds, which occurs after the last action, but before the next Gather Power phase. During this phase, a single card is played from this deck and an effect is resolved, depending on the type of card. There are 2 types of cards. Resistance Cards and Sabotage Cards.

Resistance Cards

Resistance Cards simply do damage to targets based on what cards are pulled. Of the below cards, there should be an equal amount of each.

2. Local Resistance - Pains Cultists

3. Strike Team - Pains Monsters, Kills Cultists

4. Armed Forces Operation - Pains Great Old Ones, Kills Monsters/Cultists

5. Missle Strike - Kills GOO's or Monsters/Cultists in area.

6. Nuke - Wipes out location (including gate).

Once the card is revealed, each player rolls a single dice and if the number is lower than the matching numbers above, the effect doesn't go off for them. If it's equal or higher, than it does. Once the effect is resolved for all players, it's discarded.

Targeting would be applied to whichever region has the most of the type of monster can be killed by the attack (Local Resistance simply targets Cultists). So Strike Team would target biggest groups of Cultists, while Missile Strike would target your Great Old Ones (or if you have none, your biggest group of cultists/monsters).

No dice are rolled. The cards will have a set amount of kill/pains to be applied, which can vary in amount. Each card will have a total value from 3-6, where pains = 1 and kills = 2. So the below would be suitable examples.

So for cards of a 5 value, the below would be possible.

5 Pains
4 Pains
3 Pains, 1 Kill
2 Pains, 1 Kill
2 Kill

Sabotage Cards

Sabotage Cards will universally affect all players, with no ability to "avoid" the result with a dice roll. Instead these cards change the game state or rules in ways that make the game more difficult. Here are some examples.

1. During the next gather power, 1 gate doesn't provide extra energy.
2. Movement for Cultists cost an additional power.
3. Players may not move from water locations to land locations (including powers)
4. Vice Versa Above.
5. Each combat results in a monster being removed from combat, prior to pains/kills being distributed. Must lose at least 1 this turn.
6. Great Old One abilities no longer function this turn.
7. Faction abilities no longer function this turn.
8. Ritual costs are counted as one space farther than it is (Wind Walker's is boosted to 6 if he has spellbook).
9. Summoning cost for monsters is 1 more than normal.
10. Gate is destroyed. Each person loses a gate of their choice.
11. Lose X Victory Points.
12. Lose randomly chosen Elder Signs.
13. X monsters cannot move. X equals the highest cost monster currently in play.
14. Each monster killed costs 1 power each.
15. Place an Elder Token on an area, units cannot enter that space and no power can be gained there. All areas besides starting locations are included. Automatically ignore and redraw if Opener's Starting Location is picked.

Unlike Resistance Cards, Sabotage Cards cannot be avoided by a Die Roll and they affect the game until the next Humanity Responds phase.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very cool, are all the cards shuffled in one deck?

Also, I think that giving more power to the players (eg every gate provides 3 instead of 2) might be in order, otherwise you wouldn't be able to build a substantial army and interact with other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, its all one deck.

Remember that there is a good chance with the more dangerous cards that they simply won't go off, but we may need to tone down the value from 5-7 to 3-5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
River Lethe
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is pretty cool.

How would you resolve effects where multiple players are in the same area? For instance, what if a missle strike occurred in an area with your example of a value of six, and multiple GOOS occupied the area? How is it decided which GOO would be killed versus which is merely pained(or if there were 4 GOOs in the space and only 3 can be killed)? Seems like there needs to be a mechanic for what areas and what targets are chosen, or you might end up with some player argument.

OR, the mechanic could be similar to how the Watcher works, in that each player would rotate getting to draw a card at the end of the turn, resolving its effects where that player chooses (and obviously trying to affect their own units as little as possible).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So each player who fails the roll will have his units targetted. Each player targeted will resolve it based on their units alone, even if they share a spot with another unit.

So player A and C pass the roll. Player B does not. Lets say Missle Strike happens. It targets the spot where player B has a GOO or if one isn't in play, his largest grouping of cultists/monsters. Even if that spot shares units with Player A, only Player B units are considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N R
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great variant. Obviously humans should be no match for the other factions so it is appropriate they are limited to an event deck. I like that humanity is fighting against the inevitable which perfectly fits the mythos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Axman George
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic concept, excellent mechanic -- and even better, real consequences! I really love the idea of humanity fighting back in a series of doomed rearguard actions while Cthulhu and the King in Yellow stalk the earth...

I wonder whether each successful sabotage/resistance effect should also result in the loss of a Doom Track point? Or does that cross the line into outright punishment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Axman George
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And another thing: this variant strongly reminds me of Charles Stross's incredible Mythos-y story, A Colder War. If you haven't all read it stop what you're doing and go here:

http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/colderwar.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
River Lethe
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gotcha. That's a good solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
axmangeorge wrote:
Fantastic concept, excellent mechanic -- and even better, real consequences! I really love the idea of humanity fighting back in a series of doomed rearguard actions while Cthulhu and the King in Yellow stalk the earth...

I wonder whether each successful sabotage/resistance effect should also result in the loss of a Doom Track point? Or does that cross the line into outright punishment?

There is a Sabotage Card that deals with Doom Points already. Because of how valuable Doom Points are, I feel like if they're going to be taken everyone should be effected equally (hence why it's a Sabotage Card).

Now could it be possible to bake that effect into the Resistance Cards? Sure. However, I think the idea of losing more doom points than you're gaining makes for a frustrating time. So I kinda like the idea that it's unlikely, but possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boardnotbored boardnotbored
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This sounds like a stupendously good idea. Might it be worth opening a discussion re making this a formal expansion? It'd be great to have compatible artwork on real cards

Man oh man am I looking forward to receiving CW. Discussed it again at game night last night, now have at least 5 unwitting victims chomping at the bit too Oh, yes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Axman George
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right -- I looked right past that doom points effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jb Lovecrafty

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this is awesome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caveydavey wrote:
This sounds like a stupendously good idea. Might it be worth opening a discussion re making this a formal expansion? It'd be great to have compatible artwork on real cards

Man oh man am I looking forward to receiving CW. Discussed it again at game night last night, now have at least 5 unwitting victims chomping at the bit too Oh, yes!

I really appreciate the feedback. I threw this up as a creative outlet, but I'm sure Sandy and company aren't interested in delaying the release of the game at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cowling
Canada
Salmon Arm
BC
flag msg tools
badge
I think I'm in the headspace to convert some of my library into food and gas.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, but doesn't fit with the game's theme. The game premise is what happens after the GOOs have won and humanity is done with. Not only would there be no nukes, but there'd be no non-cultists to use them. And all a nuke does to Cthulhu is force him to reintegrate himself -- except he's radioactive now!

I wouldn't want to see this as a game expansion. It'd be like adding Ghostbusters tech, insanity-mitigating goggles, extraterrene bullets and Force powers to the 1920s Cthulhu RPG. The horror of humanity's inevitable loss against powers from beyond the stars is what makes cosmic horror so profound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's definitely a fair criticism.

However, when you start the game, you only have Cultist on the board. No monsters or Great Old Ones are on the map which represents the world. It's only through your efforts of summoning these things into the world via Cultists that they arrive.

So in that sense, we're playing through the end of the world, not after the fact.

Additionally, nothing in the deck should stop the factions, but instead impede them. I figure that the world fighting back wouldn't be unrealistic (especially considering the enemy factions are fighting each other as well), but the world winning would be another matter entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.