Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to make this short.

I'm making custom inserts for my games. Foamboard.

Descent is decidedly difficult to figure out due to expansions.

I got most of my inspiration from making these from The Esoteric Order of Gamers videos. In those he says that he likes to keep base game and expansions all set out in their separate boxes. In principle, I like this idea and for most games it works nicely and is something I will be doing.

BUT there are a lot of elements in Descent (Heroes and monsters being the most obivous) where you don't need to explicitly choose to use the expansions or not; it just makes sense to have all of those parts together.

So any suggestions? Keep everything separate or smash it all togehter?

FWIW my current storage is
Small boxes - map tiles
Labyrinth of ruin - monster figures
Base game - everything else.

I'm tempted to stick with this but then I'm concerned about future expansion fitting in properly. DECISIONS ARE HARD!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would keep base game map tiles and expansion map tiles separate.

I would not separate Shop Item cards, Conditions, Monster Cards, Lieutenant Cards, or Overlord cards.

Figures I could see separating by expansion. I personally just keep all of my heroes in one bag, and the monsters in whichever box they original came with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 3 boxes at the moment for my Descent 2.0

1 Box with foam core lining for the map tiles, with a tray on top to hold the smaller pieces, doors and obstacles

1 Box for the Players: player miniatures, class cards, treasure cards, condition cards, shop cards, relics, heart tokens, fatigue tokens, class tokens, hero tokens.

1 Box for the Overlord: monster minatures, Overlord cards, Rumour cards, travel cards

I am going to need to reorganise things when the next expansion hits, as well as when I finally open my Lt miniatures.

When trying to plan out your cuts, I suggest getting some paper and cutting it to size. Place the miniatures and pieces on it to work out how big each division needs to be, and then finally cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
I would keep base game map tiles and expansion map tiles separate.

I would not separate Shop Item cards, Conditions, Monster Cards, Lieutenant Cards, or Overlord cards.

Figures I could see separating by expansion. I personally just keep all of my heroes in one bag, and the monsters in whichever box they original came with.

That is essentially my current situation. I've just got a concern that because I'm making a specific storage means that if later on I decide I want to keep everything separate then I'm back to square on and need to make entirely new inserts.

But I just can't get over wanting (like you say) all the shop/monster/condition cards together since I can't see myself ever deciding NOT to use certain expansions in those cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cesspit wrote:
I am going to need to reorganise things when the next expansion hits, as well as when I finally open my Lt miniatures.

This is my real main concern. I can't convince myself to START this particular insert project being unsure of whether I'm going to need to reorganise for future expansions. Without the custom inserts it's trivial but making new inserts complicates things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Speager
United States
flag msg tools
mb
BertMcCloud wrote:

FWIW my current storage is
Small boxes - map tiles
Labyrinth of ruin - monster figures
Base game - everything else.

This is essentially how I'm organizing everything as well. Lair of the Wyrm holds the tiles for the base game and LotW and Trollfens contains the other two expansions. I do use two of these:
http://www.michaels.com/Medium-Bead-Box/bd1058,default,pd.ht...
One for small minis in the LoR box, and one for stuff like dice and tokens in the base game box. I also have made tuckboxes for all the cards (except plot deck cards) so far.

When Shadow of Nerekhall comes out, I'll probably use that box for hero stuff (figures, tokens, cards, character sheets) with another one of those organizers. But who knows, I have to wait and see everything that comes in it, that may end up being one big tile box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to think it best to put off the foamcore project until Nerekhall comes out. More space, more flexibility.

Shame though I was really up for starting it all this evening!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the figures from 1st ed, conversion kit, LotW, and LoR. Here is how I have my boxes;

Base- monster figures
Lotw- hero cards, classes & figures
LoR- everything else.

I'm thinking of making a tray to hold the cards in LotW, but the others are fine loose for now.

If/when I get trollfens, I might put the map pieces there if they all fit, or use it to sort various counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Borthwick
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am experiencing the same dilemmas. It's ironic that it's so difficult to pull the foam core trigger with Descent 2nd Ed as box control can be a fiasco without it. It seems safe enough to me to build an insert for monsters once they fill an entire box. Also one card tray each for the OL and players with expansion room may work. Besides this, expansions mean all bets are off. My OCD is deeply unsatisfied with this though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I followed the plans from the Order of Gamers. I only have the base game, Trollfens, and the CK so I don't have that much stuff to find room for, but nonetheless, I think your proposed split should make sense and be sustainable. The thing that might upset your apple cart would be additional monsters/figures but if they end up needing 2 boxes, then you just add one. But you should be able to do a foamcore solution for the base game box that has enough extra space to cover you for additional Overlord cards, shop cards, condition tokens, and the like.

If I was in your situation and doing things from scratch, I would make an active player tray and an active Overlord tray. Hero cards and class cards that I'm not using for my current campaign or game I'm storing in the CK box. Where it ends up for you, you can figure that out, but I wouldn't put them into the primary one. They take up a fair amount of space and you don't need to access them on a regular basis.

Once you strip down to dice, overlord cards, monster cards, health, stamina, etc., you really are down to a manageable amount of volume. I would do an area for the Entrance, Exit, and a dozen or so connector/end map pieces rather than having to hunt in the general box of map tiles to find them every time. And you may want to consider how/where you would think you're going to store player and OL stuff from the current quest, so that will take up some extra volume, but still not that much. There should be plenty of extra space to future-proof whatever you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.