Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Battle For Souls» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Playing Heaven Solo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm finding the Relics and Intercession cards are really a waste of HP when playing Heaven in the solo game. One in three work out for my benefit, but mostly they deal with "undoing" evil stuff that does not happen in a solo game. Haven't won with Heaven yet. Getting back to it now, thinking of spending cards on VP vs. HP on Intercession cards. We'll see.

Thoughts?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that didn't work. 17 pts!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burke
United States
Belmont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Madcapmartini wrote:
I'm finding the Relics and Intercession cards are really a waste of HP when playing Heaven in the solo game. One in three work out for my benefit, but mostly they deal with "undoing" evil stuff that does not happen in a solo game. Haven't won with Heaven yet. Getting back to it now, thinking of spending cards on VP vs. HP on Intercession cards. We'll see.

Thoughts?


Yes, Heaven is more challenging solo. I would recommend only spending points on Relics as 70% of them are helpful solo, and they are all worth 2 points. Also, make sure you get a Soul in Purgatory since Heaven has cards that can pull souls directly from Purgatory.

Also, if you have two pair you are better off playing just 1 pair for a VP card instead of using two pair for a free Intercession.

You can also greatly improve your game if you focus on what cards have been used. Remember, you have 6 cards of 7 different heavenly virtues, 5 Reaps, and 3 Wild cards. That's it. Keeping tabs on what's been played can really help you make better decisions. And while you may not draw a card in the solo game like you can in a 2 or 4 player game, you may discard just 1 card, to draw 1. You want cards to trickle out of your deck, unless you get something really good. Burning three different cards for on HP may not be worth it.

It's all about card management and squeezing the most points out of your cards, but you will need a little luck too.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tinyelvis wrote:

Yes, Heaven is more challenging solo. I would recommend only spending points on Relics as 70% of them are helpful solo, and they are all worth 2 points. Also, make sure you get a Soul in Purgatory since Heaven has cards that can pull souls directly from Purgatory.

Also, if you have two pair you are better off playing just 1 pair for a VP card instead of using two pair for a free Intercession.


I learned this pretty quickly. Thanks for the feedback. I'll be sure to add a celebratory post when I finally win solo with Heaven.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Madcapmartini wrote:
Tinyelvis wrote:

Yes, Heaven is more challenging solo. I would recommend only spending points on Relics as 70% of them are helpful solo, and they are all worth 2 points. Also, make sure you get a Soul in Purgatory since Heaven has cards that can pull souls directly from Purgatory.

Also, if you have two pair you are better off playing just 1 pair for a VP card instead of using two pair for a free Intercession.


I learned this pretty quickly. Thanks for the feedback. I'll be sure to add a celebratory post when I finally win solo with Heaven.

Ok. See you at Thanksgiving.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I rec'd a replacement for a damaged card from Robert today and gave playing Heaven solo another shot. Looks like the card he sent was lucky, I won with 37 pts!!

Loving this game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Madcapmartini wrote:
I won with 37 pts!!


Good point total, Mat - I just scored 36 pts with Heaven.

The key was having an Archangel at start who could put a HP on a matching soul every turn. As these points accumulated, I purchased a Holy Relic and kept repeating the process. The soul was only reaped at the last possible moment just before the game ended.

The only 'clock' in the game is your Virtue deck, so you can discard a single card/turn while building your hand and also gathering that Archangel point at the beginning of every turn.

Also, I sainted a soul for an extra Archangel (3 pts), which put me over the top for the win.

Good, quick fun...

Madcapmartini wrote:
Loving this game.


Me too. I'm borrowing a friend's copy until my order is delivered.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.