Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's only one in that time frame that I know of. A small group (4-8 gamers) meets Tuesday afternoons (3-7) at Piedmont Va. Community Coll..
There are other groups on both Thursday and Friday nights, "Beer & Boardgames" at West Main Restaurant (attendance varies from 8-12, sometimes more) (Thurs. 6-10) and the UVA Historical Simulation Soc. which, despite it's name, is very Euro-centric (20-30 gamers, from old grogs to undergrads)(Fri. 5:30 - sometimes as late as 2am), but as you're leaving us on Thursday, all I've got is PVCC.

You do know that you missed PrezCon by only a week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am assuming the original post was deleted and Steve's post was a response. This is the second one I've seen recently. Why do people do that (delete the original post)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Urban
United States
Earlysville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife. myself and our two children will be moving to Charlottesville in mid February.

I have been online looking for gaming stores around the area but I haven't turned anything up. Please tell me that I'm not going to be stuck purchasing my games online and that I will have an opportunity to meet some other gaming folks.

I have over 100 games.

Favorites are...
Catan
Puerto Rico
Descent
Power Grid

We just started Pathfinder and would love to play more of that.

Any ideas how to get involved or find some folks to play with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Joe,

You can join a local gaming group here: http://www.meetup.com/Charlottesville-Gaming-Group/

Also, Prezcon is a gaming convention held in Charlottesville that occurs the end of February each year. Next year it is February 23rd - March 1st. "A Full week of Gaming! 90+ Tournaments, 40+ demo's and 24 hour Open Gaming Room with Game Library". If you unpack quickly (and, assuming a new job, are able to take vacation), maybe you can attend (at least check out the weekend). There are also vendors and a couple of auctions as well.

I don't know about game stores. Maybe someone in the Charlottesville area can point you in the right direction there. However, I will mention One Eyed Jacques in Richmond, VA. It is about an hour away. You can get some awesome deals with their "Scratch & Dent" section.

Gregg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick B
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The End is a decent gaming store, and always has a lot going on at it. Atlas Comics, in the Rio Hill Shopping Center, has a surprisingly large selection of board games as well.

My personal favorite store, however, is Game Vault, although it's a bit of a hike to Fredericksburg. I work about halfway between Cville and there, so sometimes I stop by after work. Their board games are always 20% off, so it's definitely worth checking out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, A premature welcome to C' ville! You will be moving to a great gaming community. so what groups are here? Well there's the meetup.com group mentioned earlier. The most popular event with this group is the Thursday night "Beer & Boardgames" event at the West Main restaurant.(every Thurs. 5:30-11) This weekly gathering usually draws about 12-15 gamers in the private function room of the restaurant. We bring a large and diverse collection of games and all are happy to teach.

There's also a Saturday meetup at the FLGS "Rail Tails", a model RR shop that carries a nice selection of games and has tables available for gaming.

Then there's the granddaddy of them all in this town, the UVa Historical Simulation Society. This club is a University group but members of the community are welcome. Don't let the name fool you. When it was founded back in the seventies, it was a wargame club, but now we play most anything. It's held in Thornton Hall (engineering bldg.) on Friday nights from about 6pm until 1am or sometimes even later.

As mentioned earlier, we are home to PrezCon, a mid-sized convention with a full week of tournaments, demos, and open gaming as well as an auction and dealer room. Go to prezcon.com to register and for more info.

FLGS

We have the previously mentioned Rail Tails and The End game shop. Both have a decent selection of games, with The End specializing in the "Magic" CCG.

I'm sure there's more going on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Urban
United States
Earlysville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think for me, leaving my friends is going to be the toughest part of moving to Charlottesville.

I am coming from Indiana and I started gaming with three other guys around twelve years ago.

I find that it takes a while to find people you are comfortable with and I used to do quite a bit of acting before I changed jobs six years ago. One night at a cast party I pulled the group into a game of Werewolf. A week or so later I invited them over for pizza and Catan and they were hooked! I created 11 other gamers and since then I had a group of friends I could call on in a moment's notice to come over for a game or three.

I hope I can find that same dynamic in Charlottesville. (Crozet is where we will be living)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Urban
United States
Earlysville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We are here now.
We didn't purchase in Crozet but rather in Earlysville.
I have been to Thursday Night games a few times and have met a few people. I look forward to meeting more in the weeks / months in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.