Erik Capps
United States
Milan
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Which do you prefer, cardboard or cards?
Cardboard
Cards
      41 answers
Poll created by Capps

Alright BGG I have two friends with a unique argument that I need your expert opinion on.

Friend one: Prefers card board chits over cards. He says if a game that uses cards could use cardboard tokens instead it should be done as the quality is higher and would be cheaper.

Friend two: Prefers cards games. Hates the fiddliness of tokens and says if a game could be made with cards instead of tokens it should be done so for the same reasons (higher quality and cheaper).

Now I know they both can't be right, and I was just curious to see your preference as well.

So, answer the poll above, tell me why you prefer one or the other, and if someone can which one is actually the most cost effective? (Let's pretend we have a game that takes either 100 cards or 100 tokens).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All things same, the only advantage I see in cards is portability (a deck with 100 cards is more manageable than 100 tokens).

On the other hand, quality cardboard token are nicer, more "self evident" and easier to keep track of.

I like a lot of card games, because of the flexibility provided by text on them (e.g. Summoner Wars or Star Wars: The Card Game), but even those rely on token for accountable things (damages, etc.)

Geki
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Lakeland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it's entirely dependent upon their use in the game.

Money, commodities, goods and such? - much prefer cardboard (There's just something special about the tactile element of that which represents physical things.)

Information, interactions with other players, other "intangibles" (perhaps VP's, influence, power or the like)? - cards are great (Much easier to manage/handle than lots of tokens.)

As a general rule of thumb, however, I'd probably go with cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah it depends on what they're being used for.

Would I want a cardboard token deck builder? No thank you

Would I want to play Agricola where the different wooden stuff was replaced by cards? Well that would probably look like a deck builder so why not

I can imagine cards replacing tokens in alot of situations without problem, but the other way around isnt working as far as I can see.

Guess im more of a cardman

As for cost, stuff like that involves alot of variables; size of order, quality, how many different ones there are and how good you are at talking a price down
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Pak
msg tools
I hate it when cardboard tokens starts to peel. I think cards wear better over time. Now, if it was the option of plastic/wooden token vs cardboard vs card, I'll take the plastic/wooden token any day of the week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Iachini
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Do they need to be randomized? Shuffling cards is usually far easier than mixing up chits (though a bag can help here).

Do you care about art? Cards usually have more space for it.

Do players need to choose from several of these things that they control, but that are secret from the other players? This is FAR easier with cards.

Do these things need to be laid out on a board where space it as a premium? Chits tend to be much better in that scenario.

So, in many cases I think cards have the edge. But chits do have their points.

Michael Iachini
Clay Crucible Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geki wrote:
I like a lot of card games, because of the flexibility provided by text on them (e.g. Summoner Wars or Star Wars: The Card Game), but even those rely on token for accountable things (damages, etc.)

This.

If a game is using cards but not taking advantage of the fact that cards have plenty of room for text, they should have just used tokens.

Though I will say another point where I wish people would use cards instead is when you have facedown tokens with random stuff on the bottom of them. Shuffling cards and making sure they are all facedown is a whole lot easier than dumping out a bunch of tokens and flipping them facedown (Hi, Android: Infiltration). Unless you bother to give me a cloth bag to put the tokens in, then I'll forgive you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.