BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Cool Stuff Inc. (free shipping) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Barth
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I heard that if you mark your order for store pick up at Coolstuffinc. You can wait for you orders to stack up to $100+ worth and then have them all shipped together (i.e. Free shipping). Does anyone know if this is true? is there a time limit for them holding your orders? it would help on getting daily deals and smaller price items they normally run out of stock. I'm just afraid of spending money on an order and having it sit in Florida indefinitely

I saw someone mention this on a hot deal post a bit ago, but I lost the OP so I don't know if this was ever verified. Can a couple people vouch for or against this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Koenig
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, wouldnt the best way to just email CSI this question directly to get the best information?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I believe this only works if you're adding games to an order that has not yet shipped due to containing a pre-order. I don't think they will just pile up games for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Koenig
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I emailed CSI with this question. If/when they reply, I will post it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
this is a faq on bgg and csi should put it on their own website...

from what I've read in prior threads is that if you order and mark the order for in store pickup (maitland)... you can place as many orders this way as you like... when you have enough combined for free ship email or call them with the set of order #'s and they will then ship you them as well as refund FL and Orange County sales tax (which is 6.5% combined)

I've never done this myself, this is based only on what I read from others, and ymmv... and maybe the reason they don't put this info on their own website is that they want it to remain obscure and subject to change

fwiw other stores used to allow you to hold an order but then charged you a fee for each order you added to the other order (in order to recover the credit card per transaction fees)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:

Consider that while they allow it, they may not wish to encourage it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
JeffyJeff wrote:
I've never done this myself, this is based only on what I read from others, and ymmv... and maybe the reason they don't put this info on their own website is that they want it to remain obscure and subject to change
It does seem like CSI offers this as a special service in special cases, but judging by the amount of folks who have caught on recently & are eager to exploit it, I'm not sure CSI would continue the practice. Seems like a loophole-exploit method to get around just placing an order now ("Well, if I just toss a preorder in there, and keep racking up Daily Deals, then I can game the system and just pay for everything at once when I feel like paying, and get free shipping.") Oh well, I guess if they don't mind then I shouldn't mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Koenig
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there you have it. I received an answer from CSI already, and it looks like they welcome and encourage this practice. So I will definitely be taking advantage of this, and continue to support CSI. Wanted to share with the rest of you guys, here is direct quote from email:

Quote:

Hi Andrei,

Thanks for ordering with us. We can do that for you. If you place an order, send us the order number and we will keep it on hold for you. You don't even have to place multiple orders, you can just send us the names of the items you want and we will add them and charge the same billing method on the order. Some people place separate orders and email each one because they are afraid that the items may go out of stock before we get to their email. That is also fine to do. The only stipulation is that any daily deals on these combined orders have to be from the same day only. We appreciate your business and look forward to any future orders you may place.

If I can be of further service please write back or call us Toll Free in the
US. Our phone number is:

Local/International: (407) 695-6554
Toll Free: (877) CSI-Orlando or (877) 274-6752.

Thanks for shopping with us,

Cory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
Consider that while they allow it, they may not wish to encourage it.

I did consider it, hence from the same post...
jeffyjeff wrote:
maybe the reason they don't put this info on their own website is that they want it to remain obscure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance VanGogh
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You pay as you place orders though, not all at once. They get to hold your money without sending product, something most companies have no issue doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually doing it now. I initially placed an order for a Pathfinder Adventure Pack that was $3 off normal CSI price because it was a daily deal.

I than added the Snowdonia Daily Deal plus map. I bought that and choose instore pickup, than emailed to combine. They refunded the tax to my credit card.

In addition, I got a little more off because of my Reward Level.

Why do they encourage this? Because they know most of us gamers will add non-deals before the order has shipped. I've already added Cuba Libre, another Pathfinder Adventure Pack, and within a week I'll probably add Cruel Necessity, Navajo Wars, the new Legendary expansion and Expedition: Northwest Passage.

We're gamers. We have no self control.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
I should mention that Miniature Market does NOT allow this practice.

I just tried it with them because a daily deal item I wanted to add to an existing $100 threshold order that had some preorder items. I just missed the timing and the preorder mailed without the added item.

I asked them if they could hold into it for me so I could add to this new order later and they said no, I had to complete the order within 48 hours or else I'd lose it. I decided to let it go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Pearon
United States
Potsdam
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
koenigcitizen wrote:
Well, there you have it. I received an answer from CSI already, and it looks like they welcome and encourage this practice. So I will definitely be taking advantage of this, and continue to support CSI. Wanted to share with the rest of you guys, here is direct quote from email:

Quote:

Hi Andrei,

Thanks for ordering with us. We can do that for you. If you place an order, send us the order number and we will keep it on hold for you. You don't even have to place multiple orders, you can just send us the names of the items you want and we will add them and charge the same billing method on the order. Some people place separate orders and email each one because they are afraid that the items may go out of stock before we get to their email. That is also fine to do. The only stipulation is that any daily deals on these combined orders have to be from the same day only. We appreciate your business and look forward to any future orders you may place.

US. Our phone number is:

Cory

Don't understand the daily deals stipulation. Are they saying only one day's daily deals can be included?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
jrp_atg wrote:
koenigcitizen wrote:

Quote:

Hi Andrei,

US. Our phone number is:

Cory

Don't understand the daily deals stipulation. Are they saying only one day's daily deals can be included?

That's what it sounds like. I doubt they want people building an order of all daily deals as the markdown is pretty close to what they actually pay for the product. I remember someone making a few a few weeks or a month ago mentioning this policy.

It makes sense as the daily deals seem to be around to encourage people to buy the deal and then enough product to hit $100 and get free shipping. At least that's what usually ends up happening with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what they meant by that, but I have an order with them right now that contains two daily deals from two separate days, the Pathfinder Adventure Pack and the Snowdonia deal. Again, I have added a bunch of non-deal games and continue to do so (will probably be a $200 order before it ships).

It *does* sound like they want to limit you getting the daily deal, so maybe they made an exception based on my order history?

In other words, perhaps they allow multiple daily deals as long as your filling your cart with other non-deal games?

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Barth
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Thanks for the helpful info. It does sound like the daily deals are limited to one per order but I'm sure a company like CSI will work with their customers.

Thank goodness for such a great policy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bananadrippins wrote:
Thanks for the helpful info. It does sound like the daily deals are limited to one per order but I'm sure a company like CSI will work with their customers.

That's what is great about CSI, they WILL work with you as long as they feel you aren't trying to take advantage of them.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bananadrippins wrote:

I just tried to add today's daily deal to a pre-order that should be shipping next week, and Cory from CoolStuffInc replied to my email and said he couldn't do it because you can only have one daily deal per order. I was flabbergasted! After searching their website, I found the policy on the "Conditions of Use" web page at http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/977.
Quote:
Orders may not contain more than one day of “Daily Sale Deals”.

I've been ordering from CoolStuffInc for quite some time. I have dozens of orders with them, and I've never once been told of this policy or been denied adding a daily deal item before.

Is this policy new??? Cory refused to answer that question when I asked him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Bananadrippins wrote:

I just tried to add today's daily deal to a pre-order that should be shipping next week, and Cory from CoolStuffInc replied to my email and said he couldn't do it because you can only have one daily deal per order. I was flabbergasted! After searching their website, I found the policy on the "Conditions of Use" web page at http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/977.
Quote:

I've been ordering from CoolStuffInc for quite some time. I have dozens of orders with them, and I've never once been told of this policy or been denied adding a daily deal item before.

Do you read the threads and forums you post to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Do you read the threads and forums you post to?

I read this thread (twice) and searched this forum, not finding any thread more applicable than this one. If you are implying the answer to my question lies in this thread, I don't see it. If it lies in another thread in this forum, you could be more friendly about it and maybe even post a link to where my question is answered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Bananadrippins wrote:

Quote:

I think it is new. I had two daily deal orders on an order I did in August/September with a pre-order. I saw someone posting about the daily deal policy initially between November and January so it probably was changed around that timeframe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does it matter? It's their policy now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heaven forbid a store change their policy to prevent customers being cheap and screwing them over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Daigle
United States
Avondale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this policy is great for both sides. CSI gets the money for atleast 100 bucks worth of games, and the customer is going to save on shipping. Plus when you finally reach your $100 mark, you get a group of games to enjoy all at once. Sounds like a perfect start to a game night to me. Going to use this in the future! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Bishop
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had this same experience, with CSI declining to add today's daily deal to an existing order that had several daily deals on it already. I'm saddened, and this change will be a loss of business for them, but it won't be a loss of very profitable business so I get it. Now they're going to have a new headache to deal with: people changing their minds about WHICH daily deal they want. "Sorry, I know I just had you add that Lambda Shuttle to my order yesterday, but TODAY your daily deal is even better so I want you to cancel yesterday's and give me today's." It certainly might happen for me, anyway, since today's shuttle was an "oh, that's a good deal and might be fun" purchase and not an "I NEED THAT!" purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.