United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone planning to make SXSW this year?

We are doing a few showcases this year. Mostly some day concerts with the kids. I might sneak away for a night show(Love Japan or France night)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Someone tell me if SXSW is still hipster cool, or if SXSW jumped the shark, or if it's cool to think SXSW was cool and then sucked and now is cool again.
I can't keep up with how hipster it is anymore and need to be told.
Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do what I do and ignore hipsters and come for the music.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
MWChapel wrote:
Do what I do and ignore hipsters and come for the music.
Seeing as how SXSW was started as a hipster-fest, by hipsters for hipsters, it would be tough to avoid paunchy white guys with neckbeards, skinny jeans, and ironic hats.

Okay, I just looked up some info and the first thing I read was: "Lady Gaga to perform for 1st time @ SXSW on Doritos sponsored stage." So it looks like I have to deal with both annoying hipsters AND blaring corporate sponsorship. This isn't sounding very fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Seeing as how SXSW was started as a hipster-fest, by hipsters for hipsters, it would be tough to avoid paunchy white guys with neckbeards, skinny jeans, and ironic hats.

Actually SXSW was started to venue the local musical talent, which at the time was all over the place around here. I don't remember "hipster" even being in the lexicon at the time. It only later turned into a more international big name big sponsor event.

It is true, it'll be hard to avoid all the hipsters that have invaded Austin, not that I have a, ummm, never mind...MUSIC!

But truthfully, there is over 1000 bands here this weekend, and is super easy to ignore or skip the big names playing in sponsored arenas. It's not like ACL which is one giant corporate oozing amoebae.

What I like about SXSW is there are these weird fun bands that fly in from around the globe. Nothing beats France night, or Japan night.

I'll be seeing these guys next Thursday with the kids....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.