Subject: Building the best squad with a limited collection rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hape K
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Help a newbie out:

I only have a (relatively) small collection but want to put together a competitive squad for each faction. Here's what I have: 2 cores, 2 Bs, 1 A, 2 Interceptors, 1 TIE, 1 Bomber.

Rebs: XXBB anti-Howlswarm
2x Blue w/ion cannons
Biggs w/R2F2
Rookie Pilot

Imps:
4 TIES a squint and a bomber
3x Academy
Howlrunner
Saber w/PTL
Bomber w/proton torps and seismic charges

OR
Howlmauler
2x Academy
Howl w/swarm tactics
Mauler w/marksmanship
2x Alpha Squadron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
1st List:
R2F2 on Biggs is a point sink if you can't stack a focus too. And Naked blue b-wings are a bit awkward to maneuver. I'd recommend adv sensors, but you don't have 'em. I'd at least run Fire-Control System on the B-wings rather than Ion cannons. Can keep 'em if you like and run 2 rookie's instead of biggs.

2nd and 3rd list:

Imperials really want a lot of ships. Alas, you can't run 7 TIEs, and I'm not a big fan of the bomber as it's dial is awful. You can run a 6 TIE mixed list with interceptors. I like the 2nd list with Howlerrunner and mauler. I'm not a big fan of marksmanship but you don't have much else you can use those last few points for. Could run Swarm Tactics on Mauler and Determination on Howlrunner and save a few pts for initiative. I'd at least consider dropping to 99 pts to try and grab initiative.

Or:
Academy TIE x 2
Alpha Int x 2
Mauler + Swarm Tactics
Howlrunner + PtL

Helps protect Howl a bit better, and you get to 100 pts, but again, I'd consider dropping down to 99 pts to get initiative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will mention that i won a 3-game tournament with your second list. It's also really fun. Fly well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a big fan of ion cannons on B's. You're limiting their offensive potential for the sake of ioning your opponent. How about:

2x Dagger + fire-control system
Biggs
Red Squadron Pilot

Soontir + PTL
Howlrunner
4x Obsidian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hape K
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Thanks John, lots to consider. In reading it over again, I see how fire control is much more useful.

Matt, I really like the 2nd squad. I'm going to try that one out for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cordeiro wrote:
I'm not a big fan of ion cannons on B's. You're limiting their offensive potential for the sake of ioning your opponent. How about:

2x Dagger + fire-control system
Biggs
Red Squadron Pilot

Soontir + PTL
Howlrunner
4x Obsidian

When choosing generic pilots, consider what you want to accomplish before putting 4-8 points into upgrading their pilot skill. I get having Daggers and Reds with Biggs: You're hoping that you have higher PS than your opponent's ships so you can shoot first and eliminate a target before it can return fire. Daggers and Red Squadron Pilots are popular these days for that reason.

With the latter list, though, you're spending 4 points to have your Obsidian Pilots shoot before PS1 or PS2 targets. However, if your opponent's ships have PS>3 (e.g. like that Rebel list), you wasted those points and might as well have gone with Academy Pilots. Also, one of the best strategies of a swarm is action denial (e.g. moving first and blocking opposing ships so they lose their actions). Action denial strategies depend on having lowest PS ships moving first, often with "initiative." With that in mind, I'd recommend downgrading the Obsidians to Academy Pilots and putting an upgrade on Howlrunner. If you can't borrow a Stealth Device (comes with the Firespray/Slave I expansion), then go with Swarm Tactics. This will let an Academy Pilot move first (to block) AND shoot first (or much earlier than it would have otherwise), and also drops your total to 99 points to give you a better chance of having Initiative.

Quote:
2x Academy
Howl w/swarm tactics
Mauler w/marksmanship
2x Alpha Squadron

With rare exception (Kath Scarlet? Ten Numb?), I'm not a big fan of Marksmanship. It costs 3 points to have a slightly better Focus for offense that can't be used for defense. I'd rather have Mauler simply Focus, which is almost as good on attack and is versatile for defense - and doesn't cost points. If you can borrow another Swarm Tactics (comes in both the TIE Fighter and TIE Advanced expansions), put that on Mauler Mithel instead. This way, you can either chain PS8 onto 3 pilots (Howlrunner -> Mauler -> Alpha Squadron), or you can have two at PS8 and two at PS7 (Howlrunner -> Alpha Squadron AND Mauler -> Alpha Squadron).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.