Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Borrows
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone enlighten me about the counters for the break down companies for all the nationalities in the expansion set. They differ from the existing ones by having lower defence strengths and some have a red dot for their last step dot marker.

Do I use the existing breakdown units or use these new ones?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess = Ost Battalion's companies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean King
United States
Stevenson
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Northern Gamer Archeology
mbmbmbmbmb
Biosphere wrote:
Can anyone enlighten me about the counters for the break down companies for all the nationalities in the expansion set. They differ from the existing ones by having lower defence strengths and some have a red dot for their last step dot marker.

Do I use the existing breakdown units or use these new ones?

thanks

If your talking about the M-10 anti tank vehicle the red dots I am not sure why they went from the armor "white dot" to the "red anti tank dot" for the breakdown unit. Maybe something to do with being more vulnerable or something as just a company of M-10's vs a regiment...but thats just speculating. Its also with the stats given less effective or more vulnerable as a defensive weapon.

Well now saying that I can see how they are more vulnerable as a defensive weapon. They had very thin armour....

As if you choose to use them, I would personally but its just being a completist. :O) The base game doesn't include the same silhouette for some of the breakdowns of the armour units. Only one included with the base game was silhouettes of the M4 Sherman.

As for the German armour silhouette with the red dot it almost looks like a Panther so doesn't make much since but looking at original chits they have a panther silhouette which is different. Which means to me the Red dotted one is actually some other type of anti-tank unit the Germans had. Have to look closer....seems the turret is to far forward (know it doesn't spin on an Elephant so not really a turret) to be an Elephant....

So at least for the US side the armor pieces are either light tanks or the M-10 and its the reason why the defense is lower. Probably same reasoning for the germans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the original game there was some consternation that anti-tank armor breakdowns used armor companies giving them a possible armor bonus. The red dotted breakdowns are so that anti-tank armor retains the anti-tank role and not gain armor bonus capability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Borrows
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input guys. I discovered that on pages 24-25 of the new rule book there is in fact an explanation of the new breakdown units. For a GMT game I find this expansion to be woefully lacking in effort to explain to buyers what all the cloth terms are for. Some are replacement counters and we are told so. Others are not marked as such and it is a slow dull effort to trawl through existing counters checking them. An insert explaining the counters would have been very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

That was my fault. It was intended to be included, but I was deployed before it could get added.

I've been meaning to get this finished but just haven't been able to.

See below
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle for Normandy Expansion Game Counter List

Sheet 1 Left Side

Rows 1, 2, 3, 4, 5: These are new units and are included in the expansion game reinforcements.

Row 6, counters 1-6: 23.3 US & CW Corps Recon Units and Row 13 counters 4-7: 23.3 US & CW Corps Recon Units (opt.)

Row 6 last 4 counters, Rows 7, 8, 9, 10. Row 11, counters 1-4: These replace existing artillery counters per the 12.5.3.1

Row 11 counters 5-8 and Row 12, counter 8, Row 14 counters 9, 10: 14.3o Allied Entrenchments.

Row 11 counters 9-10, Row 12 counters 9 and 10, Row 13 counters 1-3: Expansion game rule 23.5 CW towed artillery swap.

Row 13 counters 8 and 9: 23.4 Kangeroo Units

Row 13 counter 10; Campaign Game optional rule 6 (“A3” is errata)

Row 14 counters 1-6; 7.6.2 Inter-Allied Supply Cooperation

Row 14 counters 7, 8: 9.3.5o Commando REM Replacements

Sheet 1 Right Side

Rows 1, 2, 3, 4, Row 6, Row 7 counters 3, 4: New units included in the expansion game reinforcements.

Row 5: 22.7o Non-Traversable Coastal Batteries

Row 7 counters 1, 2: 15.0o German Tank Breakdown Companies

Row 7 counter 5, Row 8 counter 5: 8.0o Weather Forecast

Row 7 counters 7-10, Row 8 counters 7-10: Errata counters

Row 8 counter 6: HMS Nelson (former optional rule made standard)

Row 9 counters 1-3: Errata counters.

Row 9 counters 4-5: 22.4o Paratroop REMs

Row 9 counters 6, 7-10 Row 10, 11, 12, 13 counters 1-7, 9-10 and Row 14 counters 1-4, 9-10.

Row 9 counter 7: 17.7.1 6th Airborne AARR

Row 13 counter 8 and Row 14 counters 5-8: 15.0o German Tank Breakdown Companies

more to follow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheet 2 Left Side

All for 15.2o Type Specific Breakdowns

Sheet 2 Right Side

Rows 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Row 9 counters 4-6, Row 10 counters 4-6: 15.2o Type Specific Breakdowns

Row 9 counters 1-3, Row 10 counters 1-3: 20.7o Ost Battalion Breakdowns

Row 9 counters 7-10, Row 10 counters 7-10, Row 11 counters 7-10, Row 12 counters 7-10: 11.3.2o Tactical Movement

Row 11 counters 1-5, Row 12 counters 1-4: 23.3 Belgian & Princess Irene Brigades

Row 11 counter 6, Row 12 counter 6: 14.3o Allied Entrenchments.

Row 12 counter 5: 8.0o Weather Forecast

Row 13 counters 1-3: Replace original game units

Row 13 counters 4-10, Row 14: 7.5o Isolated Mechanized Unit Movement

This will be uploaded as a PDF file shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.